Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, so when i release my clutch in neutral while idling it makes an amazingly loud racket. I got the bike 5 days ago and i have about 250 miles on it. Is this normal? Everything works great and i am still breaking it in as the manual recommends. I will definitely mention it when i get my oil changed.

any ideas? Thanks

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hope so, I'm still learning about bikes and their components. My FZ6R didnt have that noise so i was a little concerned.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As long as I'm not the only one and everybody is experiencing something similar I'm not as worried.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Check the oil level. New bikes burn a bit of oil until the rings break in. Also....good idea to change the oil with 250 miles on a new bike. When I buy one brand new...I ride it 100 miles and change the oil to get rid of small metal shavings and dirt.

Reactions: Willowbilly

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The oil is very cloudy, so i am going to change it this weekend and switch it to synthetic. Hopefully it helps with the clutch noise in neutral. I don't have high hopes since it seems that a loud clutch in neutral is normalish.

Out of curiousity, for my first oil change should i change the filter? Or should i wait till about 1000miles to change the filter?

Thanks

Zach

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Out of curiousity, for my first oil change should i change the filter? Or should i wait till about 1000miles to change the filter?

Thanks

Zach
Change the filter too, all the stuff it's collecting will slow the flow thru the filter, so it needs to go... plus it'll make you feel better knowing you're doing all you can to protect your new engine. :)

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oil change to fix clutch noise

Good, i got a new filter too. changing the oil tonight at about 320 miles. Cant wait to see how she runs with good quality clean oil. Hopefully it quiets the clutch too.

·
Registered
611 Posts
The oil is very cloudy, so i am going to change it this weekend and switch it to synthetic. Hopefully it helps with the clutch noise in neutral. I don't have high hopes since it seems that a loud clutch in neutral is normalish.

Thanks

Zach
Zach, read up a bit about changing to synthetic so soon. There are some members discussing this in some other threads on here. On my phone so I can't really reference you to the threads ATM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Im actually going to use a blend, which some people also recommend against. I did a hard break in and i've been riding it with this oil a lot longer than i should have so I know that the rings have sealed. I want to move to the full synthetic, but since i plan on changing this oil around 1000 miles i am going to use the blend to cut down on cost and to ensure that just in case synthetic is "too slippery" i have a little more insurance. No blue smoke, I've barely burned any oil, but it is very dark. I think it's ready for synthetic or at least this blend. I will definitely let everyone know if I'm wrong though.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
21 Posts
Check the oil level. New bikes burn a bit of oil until the rings break in. Also....good idea to change the oil with 250 miles on a new bike. When I buy one brand new...I ride it 100 miles and change the oil to get rid of small metal shavings and dirt.
TELLIN' YA...get rid of any metallic 'fines', from assembly, before they seat-in somewhere..aside from the filter.

·
Registered
730 Posts
My 90 FJ12 does the same thing, always has..... got her used with 2300 mi on the clock. Perfectly normal.

Reactions: zloikish

·
Registered
227 Posts
Make sure you fill oil to the upper line in the window with the bike straight up and down (balance carefully). The low oil sensor seems to be sensitive so even though my oil was almost half way between the two lines, the light came on once on the freeway for about 10 seconds. No harm to the engine but it can be a bit alarming to look down and see the orange light lit. Mine took almost 2.9 quarts with a filter change.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I noticed my bike has a loud clutch also. At idle you can hear the difference in neutral with clutch lever in or out. I do believe that is normal. I also have been noticing the clutch seems loud while under way. In gear cruising as I accelerate I can hear the buzzing noise on right side. Pull in clutch and noice goes away. I initially thought I was having this noisy cam chain issue that has been discussed at length here. I'm at 900 miles and already did the break in oil change at 600. Think I'll change oil again at 2000 unless someone recommends different. Yamaha claims this clutch is a heavy duty one designed for the higher torque of this engine.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts