Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just an FYI for those who want to get extra keys cut, before you lose the key code and/or all of the keys:

I was at a local locksmith today getting another key cut for a bike in the garage and shared that I wish I had the original key codes, but lost the tag and never wrote it down. He said that many manufacturers stamp the key code in to the body of the seat lock, helmet lock, or underside of the locking gas cap. I haven't looked at the wife's FZ9 yet, but sure enough, the key codes were stamped under the gas caps of a Kawasaki and a Suzuki in the garage.

Hope this helps some avoid headache in the future..

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
While there are eye balls on this topic, I should have spares made because I'm the kind that misplaces keys. I have the key code (dealer wrote it my manual cover, I'm already not sure where the 2nd key and code tag are lol).

If you have the code and aren't in a hurry, where is a good place to get spares made? Dealer, or are there advantages of online?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Hardware stores around here don't carry the right blanks, they can't cut working keys. One didn't carry any cycle blanks at all, the other had one that they tried, but the keys didn't work. Having the CCT swapped out in the next few weeks, going to have the dealership make me some, I hope.

JW

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
While there are eye balls on this topic, I should have spares made because I'm the kind that misplaces keys. I have the key code (dealer wrote it my manual cover, I'm already not sure where the 2nd key and code tag are lol).

If you have the code and aren't in a hurry, where is a good place to get spares made? Dealer, or are there advantages of online?
I did the usual, at first, went to a local True Value hardware store where they still have a manual key cutting machine. I had the blank, and they screwed up cutting the new key and somehow bent the original key in the process! Nice...

Next, I found an actual locksmith. This should have been my first stop. Not only did he have the right blanks hanging on the wall for my bike and dozens of others. With the key code, he went online to a huge database he subscribes to and it tells him how to cut the key. He cut it, a perfect match to the original, I was out the door for $5.00. This is why I wouldn't do anything online, he has the blanks and cuts it, if it's wrong by chance, you know immediately and he can remedy things while you're there. No headache of making phone calls, shipping, etc., not for something so inexpensive to begin with.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I am lucky enough to have a lock smith 2 blocks from my house. I think they charge $3 a key to be made. If you have your original key, it is cheaper than getting it copied than having it cut from the code. I use them when I have a custom key cut.

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
On my cell phone I have all the info in my Documents for the FZ-09 jotted down so I have the basic info with me at all times ... Production dates,key code,filter numbers, chain size...ect

·
Registered
346 Posts
Years ago I remember driving down to Mexico and my father (who had never owned a vehicle with automatic locks) locked the keys in. The Mexican locksmith who showed up put a blank in the lock and wiggled it...looked at the mark...filed away on it....repeated, and after about 10-15 mins had a key which would open the door.

Reactions: Travis

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
I am lucky enough to have a lock smith 2 blocks from my house. I think they charge $3 a key to be made. If you have your original key, it is cheaper than getting it copied than having it cut from the code. I use them when I have a custom key cut.
Same here. A locksmith in town cut me 2/$5.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Not so simple for a model fitted with a factory immobiliser. If you lose the keys yamaha will hit you up for a new ecu and lock set.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
If you have an MT, Don't lose the red key.

·
Super Moderator
5,751 Posts
Dammit.......WERA689 beat me to it AGAIN!

·
Super Moderator
5,751 Posts
Thanks WERA689!

TT - Post #8 still looks like someone trying to boost their search engine rankings if you're itching to delete something.
Thanks man, I got this one.......WERA 689 must be snoozing this time!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts