Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I lost both sets of keys. Along with the tag that has numbers on it.

So far I've kicked my self in the ass next step ?

UPDATE
Yamaha USA does not keep the key number on file nor did my dealership. Which is ok I should have written the number down off the bat. Long story short I found both keys with the tag number. Both were left in friends cars. A 500 lumins flash light goes a long way. Made two copies and put original keys with key number away in a fire proof safe.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
see if your dealership has the record?
also, learn a lesson from this, time to get organized bro.

For instance, when I got my bike, I recorded that info in a spreadsheet that keeps info on all of my vehicles, for just such an occasion.

Are we talking misplaced?...or like GONE (like dropped in the ocean)?
cause maybe the best option is to just find the damn keys!!

·
Registered
957 Posts
My dealer wrote both the key code and the VIN in the owners manual before they even handed the bike over to me. I keep the owners manual (and the spare key) with all my other important documents.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good to know.thanks for the constructive ass chewing lol. Lost the first key in some chicks car or apartment. Left the other set in my "friends" car who I might never see again because yesterday he got into a high speed chase with the law. I will contact my dealer I'm sure they can help me out. I will absolutely learn from this choose friends wisely and make multiple copy's of keys. I hope that code is somewhere written down or somewhere on the bike. Thanks again and happy Father's Day to the fathers.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Most bike dealers can only make a key if they have the key code, they use a device that punches out the key pattern, they don't cut/grind them like hardware stores..

I would contact Yamaha USA tomorrow and see if they possibly have the code or can acquire it using your VIN and proof of ownership (Bill of Sale or Title). If not, you can't be the first person to do this, ask for the Service Manager at the bike shop and see if they have a locksmith they job this sort of work out to.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks warp speed I will contact my dealer ASAP. Locksmith will be last resort I'll have to pull out ignition perhaps or have them come to my house.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Called a few they said they don't have the technology for a 2014 motorcycle. Dealer wants to change all three locks which means I'd have three different keys. Which also means 500 to 600 dollars maybe more or less. Running out of options.

Edit:did some research key does not have a chip. So I hope this means it can be copied by a locksmith. Now trying to remove a cinder.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Called a few they said they don't have the technology for a 2014 motorcycle. Dealer wants to change all three locks which means I'd have three different keys. Which also means 500 to 600 dollars maybe more or less. Running out of options.

Edit:did some research key does not have a chip. So I hope this means it can be copied by a locksmith. Now trying to remove a cinder.

Why would they have to change all 3 and not have a matching set ?

Some ignitions are a PITA because they are bolted in with break away screws that have to be drilled out.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Spare keys are $0.88 cents at Ace Hardware....I bought 3 spares and they live in various places. One in my jacket pocket, and 2 others in my underwear drawer.....

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Have you or your dealership contacted Yamaha to see if they have a record of the key code?

The ignition is not some fancy "new for 2014" lock mechanism... it's probably the same lock cylinder that Yamaha has used for the last 10 years.... so there's no fancy "technology" that a locksmith needs to make a key for you.

If this were me....

I would remove the seat lock (it's super easy to get to and remove) and take it to a reputable locksmith and have them make a new key. There's no reason to pull the ignition, they can make a new key based on the seat lock.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I lost both sets of keys. Along with the tag that has numbers on it.

So far I've kicked my self in the ass next step ?
The next step is to always, always remember the very first thing you do when buying a new bike is to copy the key tag numbers on the back page of the owner's manual.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Duh! I was forgetting the gas cap... I knew I was forgetting something laughing.gif

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Oh snap...

My brain is obviously not working today :eek:

I will cease dispensing advice for the rest of the day 6560d1391237712-lost-both-sets-keys-laughing.gif

·
Registered
24 Posts
I work at a dealership and Yamaha is a PITA. You have to order each lock individually and they come with their own key. Kawasaki will sell you a complete lock set keyed alike. Finding the key # by VIN number is hit or miss. Try to recover at least 1 of your keys and make spares. Good luck.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts