Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Front end started making a clank sound over bumps & I could feel the upper triple clamp moving a bit pulled over found the nut that holds the upper triple clamp finger tight (aluminum nut below bar clamps m22) removed bars to access nut & tighten,noise gone not sure on the torque spec for that STEM NUT anyone know?

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
And you might want to loosen off the triple clamps, where they clamp the top of the forks as well. So the whole assembly can move to adjust the bearing pressure. Then re-tighten the fork clamps after adjusting.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've had mine do this 2 times now. First time was around 3k miles, I put it back to the specified torque, and about 10k miles later it came loose again. I put it back on at the specified torque with some 221 Loctite so I would be able to get it back apart if I ever had to, and for the last 5k miles its been ok.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yeah went through everything as per the book. I don't know what caused the problem either time but hopefully it won't do it anymore, or I'm going to get really good at fixing it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Thanks I'll check that torque,factory must have forgot that one. Everyone might want to check that upper stem nut! 2015 fz. Haven't really tried to do wheelie on purpose maybe 3 times,don't think the dealer puts top clamp on must have been left loose from the factory.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I need to check this before I take the bike out again, I feel something when I let off throttle and back on. I don't know if it's just the forks or somethings loose, but it feels like it's separating kinda like bad bearing. It got worse the last time I rode it and i was doing a lot of wheelies. Why would wheelies make it loose, just jolt every time? Also I'm not near my bike to look at it but could this nut come completely off?

·
Registered
26 Posts
No I usually set it down easy. If I get it up in a wheelie I normally get it to the balance point and ride there for a bit then come down soft on it. I don't beat it up too bad doing that I wouldn't imagine. I'm going to see how long it stays fixed this time, if it does it again I'm going to put a little extra torque on it and see if that helps.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Mine was loose on the trip bearings too...BUT 80lbft is for the top cap nut, not the lower bearing assembly. The top cap nut has nothing to do with trip bearing preload.

·
Registered
357 Posts
the nut comes off, and if your top triple tree clamps are loose, the bike will bottpm out
I took a look at it, just couldn't remember if the bars stopped it from coming off. I bet mine is loose cause something isn't right. I ride mine hard in the bad sections of the city, cops don't bother me and this bike is really easy to stand up and ride over bumps and potholes.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I've come down off a few wheelies with the tire not completely straight and that puts a lot of stress on the front end. Plus a lot of head shake when accelerating and the tire skims the ground.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts