Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
If you can't get a thinwall socket to fit, get a cheap socket and grind it down.,

Reactions: shamrock

·
Premium Member
2,873 Posts
What Loy said.
Get a cheap socket, stick it on one of these socket adapters, chuck it up in a drill and spin it on a grinding wheel until it's skinny enough to fit------easy peasy!

Attachments

Reactions: LouG

·
Registered
Batmobile
775 Posts
Find a harbor freight, you can get a full socket set for probably $20

·
Registered
Batmobile
775 Posts
Oh, duh my bad. Maybe pick up a dremel with a grinding stone bit, might not be pretty but it would get the job done.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Had to laugh! The OP here chided me (very gently) into getting the proper tools and learning how to use them (relating to my current wiring question), then posts this about his mirror issue, saying - as I also did - "That's the problem. I don't have none of the tools necessary to accomplish this". No diss, Great Holio, and I hope no offence...!

But I do wonder why it's thought necessary to want to loosen the nut shown in the earlier pic: maybe I misunderstand the problem. Surely loosening and tightening the mirror stems is best done with the large nut on the bottom of each stem, bearing in mind that the rhs (throttle side) nut is reverse thread, as signified by the light horizontal scribe marks on it (see my pic below).

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
That's the problem. I don't have none of the tools necessary to accomplish this.
I'm sure a friendly dealer, or machine shop, or blacksmith would help.

·
Registered
2016 XSR900 60th Anniv. Edition
2,668 Posts
My OEM mirrors "fell off" the first day I had the bike, so I don't know what that screw does, but if it's something that needs to be tightened periodically, it sure would have been nice if they had used a socket (allen) screw, instead of a hex head... 😒

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
No diss, Great Holio, and I hope no offence...!
None taken.

the proper tools
I don't have tools to grind down a socket. I wanted to see if there is a tool to size that I can buy. So I am looking for the proper tool. :)

maybe I misunderstand the problem.
Yes, the problem is that at speed, the mirror arm folds in and won't stay in place. The nut you are pointing to does not secure this, in my case anyway. It simply secures the mirror to the handlebar clamp. I believe it's the nut on my picture that I believe controls the this spin. I completely removed my mirror to see how it works.

·
Registered
2016 XSR900 60th Anniv. Edition
2,668 Posts
I don't have tools to grind down a socket. I wanted to see if there is a tool to size that I can buy. So I am looking for the proper tool. :)
Okay, out of curiosity, I dug my stock mirrors out of storage, and…. Dude! Any regular 12mm socket will fit in there! I tried all my sockets, and the only ones that didn’t fit were impact sockets.

So if you don’t have one that fits, either buy a nice socket set, or go down to Lowes or Home Depot and just buy a 12mm.

And remember, the RH mirror is a left-handed thread…

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
He might also need a ratchet or power bar with that socket. 😁

·
Registered
124 Posts
None taken.

Yes, the problem is that at speed, the mirror arm folds in and won't stay in place. The nut you are pointing to does not secure this, in my case anyway. It simply secures the mirror to the handlebar clamp. I believe it's the nut on my picture that I believe controls the this spin. I completely removed my mirror to see how it works.
I was thinking it was a 10 mm nut down in there but maybe it was 12 mm but I found a really thin 1/4 in drive socket that fit down in there and was just a quick snug solved that issue for me. I will double check this evening if I can remember lol.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yo, @scotts09 thanks for the heads up.

I went to a local good mech dude, he grinded out one of his sockets on the spot to try and fit it in there. He tightened it, but it seems to not hold.

Imma do some homework to see how the mirror works. It's not supposed to be locked in place ( that's what I believe anyway ) but it's not supposed to be loose enough that wind resistance moves it. So I think something got corroded inside. The black plastic caps that normally cover those nuts worked themselves out over time without me noticing and I never bothered to replace them. I'm sure that some moisture settled on them, corroding the parts inside. I'm heading to PartsZilla right now to figure out what I need and how the mirror mechanism works.

I'll be replacing internal parts and replacing the caps with some superglue so they don't work themselves out again.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts