Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been in the market for a while for a new bike. I currently have the same bike I've had since 2001 - a 2000 Kawasaki ZR-7. Great bike, but I'm ready for something more modern, with some modern technology.
I've been looking at the FZ-09 for about a year. I'm picky, and this bike seems to fit the bill. I've seen that there's a few 2014 models for sale used, and wondered why that might be?? I saw a review by the MotorCyclist columnist on YouTube, and the only thing he had negative to say was the suspension is lacking.
Any other complaints from you guys? What should I look out for?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
277 Posts
Well, mine is for sale. But it has nothing to do with the bike really. It's mostly because with a relatively new little daughter I don't get to ride near as much as I used to and I feel bad everyday walking by it in the garage just sitting there when it should be enjoyed properly. I'm also slowly coming to the realization that I'm not really enjoying street riding on a "sport" bike anymore, I'd much rather spend my time on the track if possible and just kinda cruise around on the street. Hence me needing more garage room for a new ride that's likely slower and lower...

But you are correct, out of the box the bike is very nice and if you can get the suspension sorted it really becomes a great all around package. The engine and exhaust note are just awesome!

·
Registered
246 Posts
Besides suspension, many people who have the 2014 model have issues with the throttle (this is a cheap fix via some of our vendors), mine is a 2015 and the throttle feels smooth (my history with motorcycles would explain this better). Take some time and read through a bunch of threads to see what you think.

·
Registered
270 Posts
The quick answer is the bike has an amazing engine for the price. If you ride hard you will want to upgrade the suspension but for the majority of riders its fine, especially if you're a lighter person. The 2014's have a twitchy throttle that can be fixed with a factory reflash from a dealer or vcycles, etc. The seat is also pretty stiff and pushes the rider forward. Personally I don't mind it. Other than that for what you get at the price the bike is amazing and I adore my 2015.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Very helpful Ben58!
I'm not one to ride hard - I've never been on the track and don't wheelie or stunt. I just like naked standards with a good amount of power across the board for spirited riding, touring, and commuting. My husband was trying to get me to consider the FZ-07 or the Honda CB500. The forks on the FZ-07 look really weak, like something that should be suitable for a 250, and I don't want to drop from a 750 to a 500 with the CB500.
Suspension-wise, I weigh about 140-145 in regular clothing.

·
Registered
4,616 Posts
I bought a new 2015 and love it. But, if I could do it all over again, I'd buy a used one with all the mods done and issues sorted out. I'd look for low miles and a verbal statement of no accidents. When I bought mine, I didn't know the market would be providing these opportunities. Your big advantage is knowing this up front and taking the time to figure it all out. This site has everything you need to pre-build your perfect FZ09. And if you like a particular color in the posted pictures, you'll probably love in person.

Based on your last post, suspension should not be a priority. I'm 165 and fine with stock.

Look for used deals in our classified section, Craiglist and ebay. Good luck with your search and post back with pictures when you get what you want.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I really do want a 2014 just strictly because of color choices. My first choice was orange, but then I heard they're coming at a premium price because dealers only got two each of the orange?? My second choice is the graphite with blue wheels. I didn't like the blue wheels in the showroom, because they looked purplish, but they're growing on me. Next choice would be yellow.

·
Registered
202 Posts
The fz09 is an excellent choice for you then. It's got a lot of power, as other people have mentioned. Even being lighter, i hear the suspension leaves a lot to be desired, so an upgrade may be in order there but I'm riding the stock suspension at 220 without too much issue. Best answer if take one out for a test ride, if price is a concern, try others in the same price range. If not there are some other great bikes for more money as you are probably aware.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I also found one I really like that isn't too terribly far from home. Looks like it's been really cared for, since one of the pictures of it was taken inside a living room. Lmao!

·
Registered
233 Posts
Mrszr7.

Your not going to get a bad review from this forum! haha The fz09 is a fantastic, fun, powerful bike. I weigh about 190 - 195 with gear on and to be honest the suspension isn't THAT bad... The forks do collapse pretty easy, but i just got my dealer to stiffin everything up and it is performing much better. From what I have heard the suspension is setup for someone that weighs about 165 with gear. I'm not going to ask you how much you weigh haha as that is rude, but If you are in that weight range the suspension may be a complete non-issue for you.

Plus: you can get a badass suspension setup on top of the msrp of the bike for much cheaper than buying the more expensive competitors out there... Street triple r to name one.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm usually between 140-145 in regular clothing.

I looked at the Triumphs, and I just can't get into their styling. They might be awesome bikes, but they're gawky looking.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I honestly think you will have no issues with the suspension. I can say pretty confidently that you weigh much less than most of us on this forum haha (sorry guys), and that will completely change your experience than some of us heavier riders. If you end up not liking the suspension you can throw in a rear shock from a zx6r, and get new internals for the forks and have a great setup for less than $500! This is probably the route I'm going to take here soon.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Mrszr7.

Your not going to get a bad review from this forum! haha The fz09 is a fantastic, fun, powerful bike. I weigh about 190 - 195 with gear on and to be honest the suspension isn't THAT bad... The forks do collapse pretty easy, but i just got my dealer to stiffin everything up and it is performing much better. From what I have heard the suspension is setup for someone that weighs about 165 with gear. I'm not going to ask you how much you weigh haha as that is rude, but If you are in that weight range the suspension may be a complete non-issue for you.

Plus: you can get a badass suspension setup on top of the msrp of the bike for much cheaper than buying the more expensive competitors out there... Street triple r to name one.
I can think of at least one guy who would give a bad review- and he does not even own the bike. :p

I'm usually between 140-145 in regular clothing.

I looked at the Triumphs, and I just can't get into their styling. They might be awesome bikes, but they're gawky looking.

Triumphs are great but its a hit or miss with them reliability-wise. I like them- but will get one only as a second bike, so I have another one when it goes to the workshop.

I am 150/55 in gear...stock suspension has served me well for nearly 12k miles now. Stock throttle as well- may get the reflash just to see what the difference is but I always ride in STD except during rain and when there's snow on the sidewalk. Suspension, throttle, seat- everything is personal- test ride one and see if it fits you and if you fit the bike. If you don't ride hard, I would say you would be fine- but then....YMMV

Good luck.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I had a kawi zr7s it was a nice bike! Well as far comparing to the fz let's 20ish more HP. 40ish pounds lighter and way more torque!!!

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
I honestly think you will have no issues with the suspension. I can say pretty confidently that you weigh much less than most of us on this forum haha (sorry guys), and that will completely change your experience than some of us heavier riders. If you end up not liking the suspension you can throw in a rear shock from a zx6r, and get new internals for the forks and have a great setup for less than $500! This is probably the route I'm going to take here soon.
Parts alone as you describe above about $200 even. Labor is a whole nother can of worms, lol. The point being you can really substantially upgrade the suspension for $100 each front and rear, if you are comfortable doing it yourself or trust someone locally.:cool:

Reactions: BenCOfz09

·
Registered
208 Posts
I also like the different throttle modes. Some days I feel like riding more tame and use B mode. Normally I use standard, and I only use A mode on the highway. There's no reason I can see to ride A mode anywhere else. But I like the option...

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My husband keeps trying to get me to look at other (smaller) bikes. I've sat on the FZ-09 and I like the feel of it, and it has all the features I want. We're also looking for a new (or gently used) bike for him. He had been looking at the CB500X or something like that...whichever the adventure bike is, and he wants me to consider the FZ-07 since it's essentially the same bike as the FZ-09. Essentially the same but a lot of differences that matter big to me - no inverted forks (and the 07 forks look kinda spindly in the pictures I've seen), and a twin instead of the triple. Plus, for about the same price I could get what I really want in a one year old FZ-09.
So I told him that if he likes the 07 then he should go check them out. It boils down to this.....get ready.....if his wife gets a 900, he's not getting a 750 of the same type of bike. He has to at least match me in displacement or he loses the man card.
So it's cool to get a 500 if it's a different style of bike than mine, but if it's a sport bike or naked/standard, then mine can't be bigger than his. Am I the only one who thinks he's being silly??

1 - 20 of 63 Posts