Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been a pretty mild winter up here so I'm already looking for some goodies for my FZ for this coming season, gonna ship out my ECU to vcyclenut in a couple weeks and I'd like to invest in some luggage. I mostly just want luggage to get away from having to wear a backpack everywhere I go, mostly work and a short stop at the grovery store afterwards. So I'm looking to carry a laptop and lunch in the morning and a laptop and six beers in the evening, and maybe an occasional weekends worth of clothes. Can you guys suggest a good bang for buck set of bags? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Tankbag, topcase or saddlebags?
Topcase is easiest- and helpful to allow filtering. Can carry tons of things, even leave your helmet (s) is need be. You can get a 48l Coocase for under $90 but you would have to get a rack- $200-300

·
Super Moderator
4,391 Posts
I use Kriega. It's totally waterproof. The styling is utilitarian, but their gear is awesome.

Check out their website for more info. kriega.us

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Here one that looks pretty good which you could easily add a tail bag to as well. I like how the system mounts and it does not use a large luggage rack setup.

SW-Motech Bags-Connection Blaze Sport Saddlebag System for 2013-2014 Yamaha FZ-09

Just not sure if you can fit a Laptop into them?

And just a note, they are the same setup sold by Yamaha, just less the Yamaha Logo and you save a lot of money.

US Supplier: SW-Motech Bags-Connection Blaze Sport Saddlebag System for 2013-2014 Yamaha FZ-09, MT-09 | Motostarz USA | Motostarz.com

Canada Supplier: SW-Motech Bags-Connection Blaze Sport Saddlebag System for 2013-2014 Yamaha FZ-09, MT-09 | Motostarz Canada | Motostarz.ca

Reactions: alnbama

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
This here might be useful:

"Unparalleled Control No Matter How You Roll!" Is there motto:

https://m.samsonite.com

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Shad makes great luggage for a fraction of givi and sw motech prices. Got two 43L side bags and brackets for the Versys for $399.00.

Reactions: ridetofish

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Tankbag, topcase or saddlebags?
Topcase is easiest- and helpful to allow filtering. Can carry tons of things, even leave your helmet (s) is need be. You can get a 48l Coocase for under $90 but you would have to get a rack- $200-300
if you can find a cheap used seat, you can get a cheap topbox (here in aus it would be rjays) and just drill through the seat and bolt the mounting plate to the pillion spot. not so good if you tour with a pillion, perfect if its only solo. And yes, ive done it on two bikes before.

·
Registered
385 Posts
if you can find a cheap used seat, you can get a cheap topbox (here in aus it would be rjays) and just drill through the seat and bolt the mounting plate to the pillion spot. not so good if you tour with a pillion, perfect if its only solo. And yes, ive done it on two bikes before.
any pics of how this turned out? sounds interesting if it doesn't look like a hack job.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
You can get the Yamaha soft bags for about the same price as SW-Motech if you shop around. See my post in Thread: Genuine yamaha accessories.

http://www.fz09.org/forum/13-fz-09-gear-accessories/5839-genuine-yamaha-accessories.html

If you don't mind not being able to zip it completely closed and having the lap top stick out the top, you can probably carry a small one (15 inches), but I'm not sure about the bigger ones (17 & 18 inch). The opening is about 13.5 inches long.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
If you use your bike as a commuter invest in a nice rack & top case. All your goodies stay dry and it lock!

If its just for little things, I really like the bag connections from Twisted Throttle. It clamp on top of the gas cap and lock in place too... they have different size. I have the smaller one, forgot the model...

I also use this cargo bag for the ince in a while I do weekend trip. It comes with a rain inner bag too, proven rain proof! LOL

And you can add bags... tent bag here

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
any pics of how this turned out? sounds interesting if it doesn't look like a hack job.
(
no pics of mine, first one was a gsxr 600 srad that i used to commute on, next (and current) one is on a vfr 800, but the vfr has a ninja 250 seat, so the plate is fitted to that.
if you google top box fitted to a pillion seat you'll see heaps of pics, on heaps of bikes.

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
How much are you looking to spend?

A cheaper option would probably be to go with a Top Case, as most Soft Bags probably wouldn't fit a laptop in them. Something like this would probably be big enough for what you're asking. (Hepco & becker Journey 40L)

griso with journey 40 top case 610.088 00 01.jpg

·
Registered
657 Posts
I am glad I went with a hard case top box. So dang handy. This is the OEM 39L.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
CooCase Astra S50 on OEM rack- almost 9000 miles of convenience on it so far. Swallows 2 full face helmets. Or a 25L backpack (with some to spare). A 15.6" laptop in its original box too. Or 2/4 six packs.
Under $300, a solid luggage solution.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts