Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have bought two new Yamaha ATV's in my life so far. They were the 2002 Yamaha Blaster (200 two stroke) and a 2010 Yamaha Raptor 250cc (4 stroke). I am trying to decide between the Raptor 250, 350, 700 or the YZF 450. Anyone with past experience with any of these ATV's please help me decide. Thanks. PS I would love to find a banshee.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I had a YFZ450 when they first came out. My favorite quad out of all I owned. I think they have made a lot of changes since then. I had a KFX400 & TRX450R as well but the YFZ450 was my favorite.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I had an '07 raptor 700. Great quad, never needed a thing and I was fairly hard on it.

I now have an 08 Polaris outlaw IRS

Twice the quad the raptor was. A little faster, but a lot more fun to ride and way more capable with 9" of ground clearance compared to 4". Best trail sport quad IMO

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
None...get a YZ450F! Between my FZ and YZ, the only other bike I need is a Grom. :cool:

I'm a two-wheels guy myself but the YFZ450 is a beast of a quad...same (awesome) motor as the bikes. The Raptor 700 is cool but they're kind of a fat guy bike. Lots of power but heavy. The 450 has a lower center of gravity and more race-inspired suspension.

If you're set on a power couch and not a dirt bike, I say go with the YFZ450.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I had an '07 raptor 700. Great quad, never needed a thing and I was fairly hard on it.

I now have an 08 Polaris outlaw IRS

Twice the quad the raptor was. A little faster, but a lot more fun to ride and way more capable with 9" of ground clearance compared to 4". Best trail sport quad IMO
That 525 looks like one bad wamajama! I am going to research those right meow.

None...get a YZ450F! Between my FZ and YZ, the only other bike I need is a Grom. :cool:

I'm a two-wheels guy myself but the YFZ450 is a beast of a quad...same (awesome) motor as the bikes. The Raptor 700 is cool but they're kind of a fat guy bike. Lots of power but heavy. The 450 has a lower center of gravity and more race-inspired suspension.

If you're set on a power couch and not a dirt bike, I say go with the YFZ450.
We have very similar taste. BTW I have some friends in McMinnville. If your ever that way, pop in and say hello for me. I really like the yfz450x they made a couple years back. I will never take the quad on a track (did that once, no fun for me) so the trail oriented style of the "X"is appealing. But I want a new one, so I guess the regular yfz450 will have to do. I am hoping to get a 14 once the 15's comes out. My dealer has a left over 2012 KFX450 for $6,000. But I have never had any problems with any of the Yamaha ATV's I've had. So I will stick with them. Plus the Yami's all look the best imo.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Well best of luck in the search! A buddy of mine races supermoto at the track in McMinnville but I'm not up there very often. I might take you up on that next time I head up there though!

·
Registered
21 Posts
They are a beast! If you're just riding trails like me, the outlaw will be the best bang for your buck IMO. Nothing more annoying then dragging the swing arm over rocks and stumps. Haven't done I t yet on the outlaw

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok so I have narrowed it down to three ATV's. New (left over 2012) YFZ450 (not the r model); 2013 TRX400X (has reverse); a 2005 Banshee (real clean, low hours). I will be doing 90% trail riding and 10% drag racing. So what do you guys think about those three?

·
Registered
168 Posts
I can say this from knowing the banshee probably has done been rebuilt if not it will be shortly.
Not expensive to do but i would rather have one that i could count on.
It sucks out in the middle of nowhere and bike goes down.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah I am aware of the 2 stroke rebuild frequency issues. I had a blaster for several years. No biggie there.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I would love a Banshee but it wouldn't be my first choice for the trails. They sure are fun on the dunes though.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I wish I had dunes in Florida. Well let me rephrase that. I wish we were allowed to ride the sand dunes in Florida. But they are like everything else here, over used and now over protected. The best riding I can hope for here is pine tree laden, sand and dirt trails :(

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well as it turn out, I need more than sport ATV. When I say more, I mean more hauling capacity. I looked at the sport ATV's and I could not carry anything on them, except for a backpack (which i reserve for my camel back). So I started looking at utility ATV's. I wanted to stick with Yamaha, but they are hard to come buy around here. Suzuki King Quads, Polaris, and Honda Ranchers and Recons all day long. Yamaha Grizzlies, not so much. So finally my favorite local Yamaha dealer got two Yamaha Grizzly's in. Both were 2014. One was $4500 and the other $10,500 lol. So I went with the $4500 one lol. Here she is next to the FZ-09. 2014 Yamaha Grizzly 350 (I know it is slow, but it i will be more than enough fun in the trails, and I can tow 1100 lbs and carry 260 pounds of gear.)
Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire Tire All-terrain vehicle Land vehicle Vehicle All-terrain vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle Land vehicle All-terrain vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire Tire

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I didn't either until just a few days ago. I thought about getting the 4wd model. But i don't think I would use 4wd often enough to justify another $1000 bucks. This ATV was right in my price range to pay cash for, and I didn't want to finance anything. I had all 2wd ATV's in the past and never had any trouble on the trails. But since this one is considerably heavier than my previous ones, I am going to a 2500 lb. winch on the front :sign13: Plus the 350 fit perfectly in the back of my truck. Goes right between the wheel wells and I have about 3 inches to close the tail gate.....perfect!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts