Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To join the FZ-09 in the garage. I'm considering (but have yet to ride any of these) the Star Bolt, Triumph Speedmaster, Sportster 883 and maybe the new Harley Street 750.

Anyone that has any of these cruisers want to spout off on what you chose, why you chose it, what you like/dislike about it? I'm going to ride any of these bikes that I get serious about. Frankly, the Bolt is at the head of my list for a few reasons. Its a Yamaha company bike, it looks bad ass and its not a Harley. But I'm open to any and all info.

Thanks!

JW

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
"It's Not a Harley." LMAO. :cool:

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
To join the FZ-09 in the garage. I'm considering (but have yet to ride any of these) the Star Bolt, Triumph Speedmaster, Sportster 883 and maybe the new Harley Street 750.

Anyone that has any of these cruisers want to spout off on what you chose, why you chose it, what you like/dislike about it? I'm going to ride any of these bikes that I get serious about. Frankly, the Bolt is at the head of my list for a few reasons. Its a Yamaha company bike, it looks bad ass and its not a Harley. But I'm open to any and all info.

Thanks!

JW
you should really ride them before you make any decisions.
If it were me, I would choose the Sportster, but get the 1200 not the 883...the 883 has bad resale value just like the jap bikes do, and most people end up converting them to a 1200 later on.
I have a 1200 and its a great bike in its own way..its not real fast, its not real agile, but it is real fun.

If you want an imitation Harley, choose the Bolt.....its a close as you can get to looking like a Harley, without buying a Harley .

Reactions: beck

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
My brother has a bolt but I found the vtwin to be blah but I can't tell you how many cruiser guys ask about his bike. I'm curious about the new Indian Scout. Looks like a sportster competitor and impressive power and torque numbers but I'm not sure about Indian reliability?

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
you should really ride them before you make any decisions.
If it were me, I would choose the Sportster, but get the 1200 not the 883...the 883 has bad resale value just like the jap bikes do, and most people end up converting them to a 1200 later on.
I have a 1200 and its a great bike in its own way..its not real fast, its not real agile, but it is real fun.

If you want an imitation Harley, choose the Bolt.....its a close as you can get to looking like a Harley, without buying a Harley .
If I were the OP, I'd look seriously at Used Bikes that fit what you're looking for, including the Bolt. They're out there with Low Mileage, lower prices, and No Stealership fees.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
I like the look of the Scout, and it's avail in 4 color combo's.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Honda Fury or Star Bolt.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Get the 883, and do the 1200 conversion (through the dealer, still under warranty). If I remember correctly (this was a few years ago so I could be wrong) but it's quicker than the factory 1200.... And the Iron 883 looks badass

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
I would look at a Sportster 48. It comes with the 1200 engine and a nice fat front tire. The 883 is just tooo slow.
agree it's a great looking bike - my buddy just bought one - 2.x gallon take - i'm pulling over every 70 miles for him to fill up - it sucks.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
That Indian Scout is 100 hp. Who would have thought......

It's a damn good looking bike. Too bad they don't make it in Yellow. :cool:

·
Registered
473 Posts
Yamaha Stryker. Way more bike than a bolt. My brother has the 2014 Harley 883. Needed new rear shocks and a seat upgrade. Now's he's complaining about needing more power to pass. Nuf said

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Yamaha Stryker. Way more bike than a bolt. My brother has the 2014 Harley 883. Needed new rear shocks and a seat upgrade. Now's he's complaining about needing more power to pass. Nuf said
Yeah, the suspension sucks from the factory....and the 883 really does not have enough power......1200 all the way

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Yeah, the suspension sucks from the factory....and the 883 really does not have enough power......1200 all the way
do they make the blacked out iron version in a 1200? - that's a pretty bad ass looking bike.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
do they make the blacked out iron version in a 1200? - that's a pretty bad ass looking bike.
not totally blacked out...I have a Nightster which is dark, but not as dark as the Iron.....My buddy has an iron and he bought it because of how it looked..he was sorry 2 days later when he couldn't keep up with me or the rest of our friends........black comes in a spray can,more power does not...:)

here is what a Nightster looks like.
http://p1m.mbike.com/001/000/941/Nightster_d.jpg

and here is the Iron
https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/wp...2010-Harley-Davidson-883-Iron-Wallpaper-4.jpg

paint the Nightster engine black and your all set.....

Reactions: beck and Steve101

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
I am liking that Indian Scout more and more the more I read about it. Anyone out there know anyone who has one...???

·
Registered
616 Posts
I've got a friend that has ordered the Scout, but it won't be delivered until December. He test rode a demo, and ordered one on the spot.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
I have friends that defected to cruisers only to trade them in on adventure or sport tour bikes. They wouldn't do anything that they wanted them to do.
A cruiser is not and can not be a sport tourer or an adventure bike and if that's what they expected then It sounds like they didn't buy the right bike .

I love my Harley, but I dont take it out when I'm planing on running through the twistys, I take it out when I'm taking a trip and I know Ill be on the highway for the majority of the ride.....at 80 MPH its way more comfortable than my FZ is, just like the FZ is way more comfortable carving up mountain roads....

both bikes have a purpose, and both do well if used for the right purpose .

1 - 20 of 50 Posts