Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at getting the 09 ive been lurking around the forum since i found the bike 4 months ago, I havent ever owned a street bike but been on the dirt bike game for 5 plus years now, familiar with the 2 wheeled aspect. I wanted something i could grow with, and not be looking at a r6 or cbr600 never wanted the full blown race bike. From what i understand and see the 09 is going to be a more friendly rider position and allow to learn in b mode, than grow into the more "sporty" modes.

I am getting excited that ill have a bigger motor and the ability to tone it down while getting a feel for the road.

look forward to getting to know everyone!

Dj
23 year old college thing in that Arizona area place,
doing that thing i was told to do!

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Good that you have dirt experience, what is the hightest HP model of dirt bike that you have ridden a lot? What type of dirt riding?

Yes start out in mode B, but the 09 in B is still a potent engine, it doesn't turn it into a 300 or 500cc twin.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I just bought mine 3 weeks ago. I'm 22 and I absolutely love it. I have been riding street bikes since I turned 16 (couldn't afford the insurance for a car) and I have never wanted a full blown race bike either. The 09 is a great everyday rider, which is what I use it as, as well as a great weekend warrior. It's a lot of fun. The B mode is pretty tame compared to bikes I've had in the past. I'm not an experienced racer or anything but there is quite a difference between modes A and B. I get compliments on the bike all the time. You will not be disappointed by this bike. I had an Suzuki SV 650 before this bike and it was a similar riding style. You could look into those as well because they are relatively cheap ($3000-$6000) on craigslist, at least in central florida.

·
Registered
349 Posts
dlehew - I honestly have to say, I am in love with my FZ-09 and I have R1 too. The FZ is very torquey and must be respected. But since you have ridden Dirt, treat it like a two-stroke(feather the throttle) and it is all good. :D

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome to the forum. Good that you have dirt experience, what is the hightest HP model of dirt bike that you have ridden a lot? What type of dirt riding?

Yes start out in mode B, but the 09 in B is still a potent engine, it doesn't turn it into a 300 or 500cc twin.
Been riding anything and everything i can throw a leg over, own 250 four stroke, 250 two stroke, 490 quad.
important all yamaha! lol

I have a loyalty to yami for whatever reason, always loved the look of models and never had any problems with any of thier motors. as far is dirt is concerned i think they have the best suspension set up,
But obviously the 09 the suspension is a low point in comparison to other bikes.

I am really excited on getting out to pick one up. trying to just find a dealer around here that has one in stock has been a pain.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
I am looking at getting the 09 ive been lurking around the forum since i found the bike 4 months ago, I havent ever owned a street bike but been on the dirt bike game for 5 plus years now, familiar with the 2 wheeled aspect. I wanted something i could grow with, and not be looking at a r6 or cbr600 never wanted the full blown race bike. From what i understand and see the 09 is going to be a more friendly rider position and allow to learn in b mode, than grow into the more "sporty" modes.

I am getting excited that ill have a bigger motor and the ability to tone it down while getting a feel for the road.

look forward to getting to know everyone!

Dj
23 year old college thing in that Arizona area place,
doing that thing i was told to do!
Welcome to the forum!

FZ09 will probably be fine for you. Make sure you get some training for how to ride and survive in the street. Also get proper riding gear.

Riding a motorcycle on the street is about 95% different than riding on offroad.

It is a very different mindset.

The best way to sum it up is ride like you are invisible to the car drivers and for the few car drivers that do actually see you ARE ACTUALLY TRYING TO KILL YOU!

Reactions: VERSYS8

·
Registered
350 Posts
The biggest thing about riding on the street is this: the cars are trying to kill you, but they will wait until they can make it look like an accident. Watch them carefully. You have to be smarter than they are. If you get that, your golden. Have fun.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the input guys im looking forward to getting ahold of one soon, just a matter of trying to find one.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Where are you located?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
In the White Mountains of Arizona.

Local shop has a red one coming in but I want the graphite!
Biggest issue is my truck is in the shop and cant drive down to phx area to get one. and shipping prices are crazy.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nice!! Im jealous..
There's a graphite one down here too.
yah Ive been looking at the Ride Now stores down there they have about 3 of them, I just cant justify having it delivered, Im trying to work with the guys here.

The other issue is not having my 'endorsement' yet. Not being allowed to ride on freeways or interstates... well i live out of the city and would have a 15 min commute on the interstates.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
In the White Mountains of Arizona.

Local shop has a red one coming in but I want the graphite!
Biggest issue is my truck is in the shop and cant drive down to phx area to get one. and shipping prices are crazy.
Make the deal over the phone. Put deposit down with credit card.

Take the bus to Phoenix/Tucson and ride back home.

Reactions: deadduck357

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Make the deal over the phone. Put deposit down with credit card.

Take the bus to Phoenix/Tucson and ride back home.
Legally I can't ride it home.
First bike.

Have to have 30 "logged" hours on a bike till i can do that, I cant do that Until I have a bike.

·
Registered
168 Posts
buy it first before its gone if your seriously wanting it then worry about the other later im sure the dealer will hold it as long as u need them too.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Legally I can't ride it home.
First bike.

Have to have 30 "logged" hours on a bike till i can do that, I cant do that Until I have a bike.
Canaduh i bet. Or Commifornia.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Technically all you need to do is pass the riding test since you have your permit.. Although I would recommend a MSF class, it's a solid way to get your license.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Technically all you need to do is pass the riding test since you have your permit.. Although I would recommend a MSF class, it's a solid way to get your license.
I was told that I had to take written test than take riding test after a certain amount of time.

Than Im still in the works of how i can get a bike delievered to me, and do it al without traveling to the valley.
will keep everyone updated. im talking to 3 dealers at the time.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts