Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never had a lift table and I am to the point I will be getting one and I was hoping I could get some opinions.
I have $1500 to spend, which will need to include shipping to residential.
I see the reviews but I do not have much frame of reference since I have never had one.
I have listed out the links of various tables (no real order) but I think I would get the Derek Weaver if I had to pick this minute.
My heaviest bike is about 470lbs. Only one has a chain to service, the XSR900.
Thoughts?

Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
966 Posts
Whatever you get, if you are shipping to your house, make sure a semi can get to your house and make sure you have a way to get the crate off the truck if you don't pay for liftgate service. A liftgate is a powered shelf that lowers the item to approximately ground level. Most residential streets are not truck friendly, weight restrictions and low hanging branches or wires will be a no go.

I'm an LTL truck driver and can't tell you how many times people are surprised how hard it is to get a 500# crate off the back of a semi trailer (43" above ground). BTW, the driver isn't paid to help you unless it's liftgate, then help is minimal, he may use his pallet jack to move it to a garage if the driveway is paved.

·
Registered
582 Posts
My 2 cents.

Obviously lift tables are popular or there would not be so many types available. Only time will tell if you get enough use that justifies the expense. If you have a dedicated work area that does not take away from you car space then it makes sense to get as many tools to make service/repair work easier. It's just another tool.

I have a 2 car garage, 2 cars and 3 bikes in it. I would never want to give up one side of my garage at the price of cars now days. That said, I do back out my car and use the spot for bike service and repairs. Sometimes the car has to sleep outside. I use an old rug or clean flat cardboard when I have to get on the floor. On my FZ09 which I had for 7 years had spools in the back so a Harbor Freight stand did well to get the wheel up for chain service. When done it hung on the wall out of the way. I also had a front stand too so pulling the front wheel off was not big deal. For other bikes I have a jack that has basically two rubber covered arms that go under the bike. Various bikes have needed different 2x4's on the jack to get the back or front or both up at the same time. My investment in the 3 tools was about 150.00.

I know a lift table might be nice to get the bike up for maintenance but sometimes it just put things higher than you want so you lower it. That's when it might as well be on the floor. Now if you do engine work, a lift table could be useful but for suspension you still have to block, strap or jack the bike to take the tension off the joints. Might be harder on a lift table depending on what you need to do. I see lots of lift tables pictures on forums where work on a bike might take weeks or months to finish. Useful there I am sure.

Hope you get a good one.

·
Registered
2020 MT-09
968 Posts
Drop tail! I don't own a table, but I've used both and for servicing the rear being able to Drop it out without having to readjust the bike is worth it to me. If I had the space I'd have one. I know some things you want to justify the use. A table I'd justify by the ease of sitting or standing and not having to bend over or lay on the ground.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I've been using a Harbor Freight motorcycle table lift for years. It's air or hydraulically operated, has a rear drop out, safety lockouts and has been trouble free. I did modify the front wheel clamp to be larger and the small metal wheels/rollers make it a bit hard to roll around. It's a godsend having the bike(s) at working height and both front and rear stands work on the table. In winter I store it the garage under the SUV. It's often on sale. I wouldn't recommend it for commercial use but it does the job for most motorcyclists. IMO

Reactions: Screan29 and Rapier

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
I have a Complete Hydraulics : Motorcycle Lifts | TCMLW Motorcycle Lift, 48" Extended Width 1,500 LB. Motorcycle Lifting Table ..It also comes with the extra side panels for quads . I love mine and have had it for over 10 years now with-out any problems and my compressor is a craftsman 5hp 25 gal. and it lifts the 09 with no problems and also my sold FZ1 ! Did some digging for the new extended ramps that are out now go's from my stock 21" to a 40" ramp and now I can just walk it onto the lift with no head start run to get it on the table . Upon my search I had found that the Black Widow IS the same lift table ! Ordered the extended ramp from them and fits like it should ! I also mounted a Baxley tire chock to the front so just roll it on and stays in place with no tie downs ! Very happy with it and makes cleaning and maintenance a breeze no more laying down to get to the drain plug for one !! First pic is when I got it Second pic is as it sits today ! Oh and get one of these and it makes it very comfy to clean the chain and anything else ! Pneumatic Roller Seat

Attachments

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I'm just a basic garage mechanic so take my opinion with a grain of salt. I got the HFT one as well simply because i'm not using it daily or even weekly. But monthly sure... My mindset at the time of buying was how simple these lift tables are... Hydraulic jack and a big sheet of steel. If I had to pick something to gripe about it is that the HFT only has two heights to lock it in at, but the lower of the two heights suits me perfectly.

Other than that I struggled to justify more money for something not much fancier/more useful.

Also, I can fit the rear and front pitbull stands on the lift table as well so width is spot on for this bike.

Reactions: ridetofish

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have the same lift as Abe57 except it's not the "extended" version. I'm very happy with it and should have bought it a long time ago. It's a great back saver as you get older and makes working on bikes and other things so much easier. It's nice that this one comes with the flat jack, front wheel clamp, drop tail and mine has the side rails for loading things wider than a bike (like lawn tractors) on it. It's pretty heavy duty being able to lift 1500 pounds although I've not tested it.

I put a strip on non-slip tape down the center to prevent slipping if there's any oil or wetness on the platform since it's smooth and not textured. I think I would prefer diamond plate, but then it would be much harder to wipe clean.

I also like Abe57's idea of a roll-in wheel chock. So much handier than holding the bike while you crank down the front wheel holder, especially when I load up my tall and heavy Super Tenere. The loading ramp would be nicer if it was a little longer so you don't have to get a run at it. Just putting a 2x6 or 2x8 under it helps. I have to do that to load the low hanging Harley so the frame doesn't catch the edge of the table.

I've also noticed a lot of "Handy" brand tables at dealerships. They seem to be super nice but the price reflects that also.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
2016 XSR900 60th Anniv. Edition
2,485 Posts
I have a pneumatic Handy Lift that I bought when I had my race shop, so it’s almost 30 years old. It’s been the gold standard in motorcycle shops forever. Mine has the extension and front wheel clamp. The only change I made was to get rid of the floor-mounted pedal for the air. I didn’t like tripping over it. I mounted a fitting on the side of the lift that I can just pop my air hose onto it and lift it. A needle valve regulates the air flow so it doesn’t raise or lower too fast.

Now, do you need a professional style lift like this in your home shop? Probably not, though it’s sure nice to have. However, I highly recommend any kind of lift table if you have the space for it, even the Harbor Freight one, which seems to be a good value by most accounts. It’s so much better than working on the floor, especially for those of us whose backs and knees have been around the block!

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
I have the same lift as Abe57 except it's not the "extended" version. I'm very happy with it and should have bought it a long time ago. It's a great back saver as you get older and makes working on bikes and other things so much easier. It's nice that this one comes with the flat jack, front wheel clamp, drop tail and mine has the side rails for loading things wider than a bike (like lawn tractors) on it. It's pretty heavy duty being able to lift 1500 pounds although I've not tested it.

I put a strip on non-slip tape down the center to prevent slipping if there's any oil or wetness on the platform since it's smooth and not textured. I think I would prefer diamond plate, but then it would be much harder to wipe clean.

I also like Abe57's idea of a roll-in wheel chock. So much handier than holding the bike while you crank down the front wheel holder, especially when I load up my tall and heavy Super Tenere. The loading ramp would be nicer if it was a little longer so you don't have to get a run at it. Just putting a 2x6 or 2x8 under it helps. I have to do that to load the low hanging Harley so the frame doesn't catch the edge of the table.

I've also noticed a lot of "Handy" brand tables at dealerships. They seem to be super nice but the price reflects that also.

Hope that helps.
Here is what I got a longer ramp ..was $99 now looks like $158 .I can now just walk it on..getting older sucks !!.. Extra-Long Approach Ramp for ProLift Table | Black Widow

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you all so much for the input!
I definitely need the assist these days as lying on concrete is not something my back and I agree on anymore ;)

I will keep in mind the information on the Semi and access. I have seen semis in the neighborhood (furniture / movers) as well as large service utility vehicles, so I should be OK. Fortunately my driveway to garage is a straight shot.

I like the looks of all of them; anyone know of a motorcycle lift comparison store in NC 🤣

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a pro lift purchased from NH Pro Lift .com. Around 1200dollars with shipping and extended sides and extended ramp which makes it easier to push the heavy bikes up. Best purchase I ever made as a motorcycle accessory.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have narrowed it down to two options; interestingly neither was on my original list. Both are pneumatic and hydraulic:

ANyone have any good / bad stories on either?

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
I have narrowed it down to two options; interestingly neither was on my original list. Both are pneumatic and hydraulic:

ANyone have any good / bad stories on either?
It's just me but I do not like how the lift arms are at an angle at all times..They might be nice but not for me

·
Registered
966 Posts
A scissor lift has the arms at an angle at all times, I don't see the problem. As long as you are locked in position, you're golden.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts