Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
25year sport bike rider going to "just a regular bike" fz09 reviews were so awesom I that's what I went with . so with sportbike back ground I have to modify of course. everything I've read is what the fz 09 is accept the front forks suck just as bad as a gs500 or ex500 they're horrible . for the time Bering I'm have in my hands hyperpro progressive front springs and a rear replacement spring. just waiting to have the time to install . so far the build is --m4 slip on . evotech fender elimanotor with new brake light (freakin nice) levers ,270mm sheild blah blah . curently waiting on fizzer cct kit cuz I've heard about cam chain issues, a few other tidbits too . but really looking for your opinions on performance mods. not sure wich fuel program I want to go with but I'm leaning towards flashtunes.com for they're home flashing kit wich was super sweet on my old 2012 r6. do how about your opinions on products and performance issues or upgrades to help me choose more on my build.

·
Registered
251 Posts
The suspension certainly could do with some work.

I chose GP 25mm cartridge kit & Penske rear end. Depending on your weight & budget there are a couple of other options. Traxxion, heavier springs & oil etc.

There is a bucket load of information available on here & elsewhere, do a little bit of digging to see what would suit your personal preference :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks @sporti . ile keep this options in mind budget is fully open but at the same time I don't want to go completly overboard because I'm not looking to pluck nose hairs on performance since I'm not racing lol my goal is to set the bike up for all aspects of riding including off road . thought I had a great idea of maby leaning towards a rally style then I saw that Europe is offerd the mt09 rally version . so much for my singular idea lol . but that's what I'm shooting for. and hey look it's @fizzerpilot that dude is on the ball . I emailed him this morning and within an hour he replied and had my order going . so if anyone is having cam chain clatter contact this dude for the cct kit . basicly it's a cam chain adjustable tensioner. I've experienced high torque Japanese engines the the cam chain stretches from torque and the stock tensioner runs out of it's push so to speak before the chain is fully broke in . so it's ether buy this 11 dollar part or have a new cam chain installed hmmmm . thanks again @fizzerpilot

·
Registered
17 Posts
thanks @sporti . ile keep this options in mind budget is fully open but at the same time I don't want to go completly overboard because I'm not looking to pluck nose hairs on performance since I'm not racing lol my goal is to set the bike up for all aspects of riding including off road . thought I had a great idea of maby leaning towards a rally style then I saw that Europe is offerd the mt09 rally version . so much for my singular idea lol . but that's what I'm shooting for. and hey look it's @fizzerpilot that dude is on the ball . I emailed him this morning and within an hour he replied and had my order going . so if anyone is having cam chain clatter contact this dude for the cct kit . basicly it's a cam chain adjustable tensioner. I've experienced high torque Japanese engines the the cam chain stretches from torque and the stock tensioner runs out of it's push so to speak before the chain is fully broke in . so it's ether buy this 11 dollar part or have a new cam chain installed hmmmm . thanks again @fizzerpilot
Cam chains are run in at the factory or dealer, and they don't stretch (any more than most high strength steel). They do eventually wear, but it takes a long time in a clean well lubricated engine.
Automatic tensioners use a spring to push the friction block against the chain whenever there is some slack, and the ratchet pawl keeps it from moving back out. It's a simple device that's been around since the industrial revolution, and very reliable.
Manual tensioners are a PITA and easy to get wrong if you don't know what you're doing.
If more than a couple FZ09 engines blew up because of some CCT fault, Yamaha would have a recall, and the dealers would be changing the bikes they had on hand to a re-engineered device.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Nice in theory. But wrong. This is not an old fashioned auto tensioner.

Over 200 riders have installed CCT locks from this forum, due to failed tensioners.

There are several confirmed engine failures due to cam chain problems.

There is no recall.

There are a lot of affected bikes.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Wideguy, the 09 CCT is oil pressure assisted, and it does back up some (become looser), at least some of the time. There has been at least one related engine failure and lots of cases of noise indicating the cam chain is too loose.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well I could be wrong we all could be wrong that's why forums exist so we can all throw are OPINIONS around so let's look at the facts .there has been cam chain issues and there is an affordable solution . I don't have a problem but I got fizzers kit so if I do end up with one BAM it's allready on the shelf .

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@fizzerpilot got your kit in today thanks.
if anyone's interested I went with the flash-tune.com harness for self ECU flashing . I used one on my r6 so I'm pretty familyer with the program already . already sitting at work making adjustments to my bike from 300 miles away lol

Reactions: MoFZio

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
got my flashtunes bench harness today. ive been running on just a slip on and the arrestor in till I could get this. while I was at work I had my lap top and spent many hours going over the fz09 set ups and relearning the program. I eventually came up with an easy basic start point by using flashtunes base unrestricted set up that you can upload then I also uploaded the stock defaults to my computer in case I got to a place that I couldn't get back. i went ahead and dropped a generic m4 powercomander map into my program to be and couldn't wait to get home to plug it in and flash. now before all this the bike with just a m4 slip on and DNA filter(only after market i could find) was such a loss of power with out the arrestor in muffler so i put it back in till i could get this set up wich helped tremendously . sounded like crap with arrestor in it but ran better . all in all with or with out the arrestor the bikes sound was smooth and pured nicely. well this is where it gets interesting after flashing the ecu with a generic map suddenly the bike was growling like a pissed off Rottweiler . not so smooth anymore . throttle snap was throaty . so i took it for a test ride and holly smokes omg this thing became stong like an ox is the best way to describe it. ive rode crotch rockets for 25 years and i allways would use the term came alive and screamed. this is my first regular bike not to mention anything outside an inline 4. this thing became a stong ass beast she was twitching and getting a lil squirly like a 2 stroke maby like a modified rd ,rz or tz well not that much lol. but strong like an ox best describes it. and this is just the base settings to start with.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
so i took it for a test ride and holly smokes omg this thing became stong like an ox is the best way to describe it. ive rode crotch rockets for 25 years and i allways would use the term came alive and screamed. this is my first regular bike not to mention anything outside an inline 4. this thing became a stong ass beast she was twitching and getting a lil squirly like a 2 stroke maby like a modified rd ,rz or tz well not that much lol. but strong like an ox best describes it. and this is just the base settings to start with.
i have the flash-tune hardware as well. their base unrestricted 'a' throttle map is 1:1 all the way across which is beastly. if you look at the 'stock' maps you can see that yamaha tamed the throttle response a lot from 0-25% throttle.

i started a thread in the performance section:

http://www.fz09.org/forum/14-fz-09-performance/3823-flash-tune-flashing-interface-quick-review.html

so far it seems like we're the only two with flash-tune harnesses.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
i have the flash-tune hardware as well. their base unrestricted 'a' throttle map is 1:1 all the way across which is beastly. if you look at the 'stock' maps you can see that yamaha tamed the throttle response a lot from 0-25% throttle.
your welcome! :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
awesome guys im heading to that thread

1 - 13 of 13 Posts