Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got around to pulling the ECU and installing my Akropovic carbon! Good day for it as it was only 30 degrees with snow here in lovely central NY!!
Im looking for help deciding on which modes to use before i send it out monday.Quick turn and smooth look to be a definate but im unsure on the last mode.
I am thinkin stock A as this is what i rode in most of time and with proper fueling and less engine breaking i assume it would be better than before?
Reduced traction is a option but i dont think i will ever use it and with smooth being so controllable im not sure if i need it? Thanks to David at vcyclenut for responding to my text and taking the time to talk with me on the phone,easy for me to trust him with the ECU!!!

·
Registered
806 Posts
What's up Razzle, I went A=quick turn, std=smooth & b=reduced traction I decided to get B mode that way because of weather conditions rain/cold in my neck of the woods can change fast and I like the idea of getting home safe.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Excuse my ignorance , but wtf are you guys talking about ?
B= reduced traction ? A= quick turn? Std .....
image.jpg

·
Registered
110 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
I am interested in this too as I will be getting my ECU done soon

Reactions: vcyclenut

·
Registered
957 Posts
Dave has recommended/default configuration he gives you if you don't give him specific directions when you send it off that consist of a = quick turn, std = smooth, and b = reduced traction. I went with this route and I don't regret it. I find that the reduced traction mode is the best when carrying a passenger or on the type of road conditions we deal with often here when pulling your bike out of winter storage for the first few weeks where everything is cold and wet. Quick turn basically takes stock a mode and ramps it up a bit while smoothing it out. It effectively obsolete stock a mode. Smooth is basically stock a mode smoothed out. With quick turn I find the power comes on too quickly for precision riding. Not something you'd want for track days or navigating your favorite set of twisties but is fun as hell. For precision riding smooth mode.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
I did the following: A= quick turn, Std= stock A mode, and b= smooth

After trying them all I realized that Stock A mode continued to be my favorite throttle map. It fits my riding style perfectly. If you liked the stock A with the factory flash, then you will like it even more after Dave's flash.

I found Daves quick turn to be just a little too aggressive off of idle. Especially if you like to do wheelies.

Plus Dave is a really nice guy to work with.

Good luck.

·
Registered
957 Posts
I did the following: A= quick turn, Std= stock A mode, and b= smooth

After trying them all I realized that Stock A mode continued to be my favorite throttle map. It fits my riding style perfectly. If you liked the stock A with the factory flash, then you will like it even more after Dave's flash.

I found Daves quick turn to be just a little too aggressive off of idle. Especially if you like to do wheelies.

Plus Dave is a really nice guy to work with.

Good luck.
I think a big part of that depends on your suspension setup. Part of the reason the bike is so prone to wheelies is because of the rear shock's tendency to compress under acceleration. After replacing it with a proper penske my bike totally lost that tendency so it wouldn't wheelie as readily. After getting Dave's flash done with quick turn instead of stock A mode it got it back.

·
Registered
654 Posts
haven't done mine yet but am planning to go A= quick turn, Std = smooth, B= poor traction
my real dilemma is deciding between removing the top speed governor and adding his cruise control, as those are both features that are very appealing to me.

Reactions: vcyclenut

·
Registered
158 Posts
haven't done mine yet but am planning to go A= quick turn, Std = smooth, B= poor traction
my real dilemma is deciding between removing the top speed governor and adding his cruise control, as those are both features that are very appealing to me.
I ended up going with the top speed limiter removal, but mainly because the quick shifter tune is grouped with it. If it wasn't for the quick shifter I would have just gotten the cruise control as the amount of time I will be going above the speed limiter is a lot smaller than the amount of time I will be cruising down a straight highway while commuting.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts