Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hopefully someone can help me find a good deal. My 09 is grounded until I find a new rear wheel to replace the stock one. Noticed today that there's a tiny bit of silver showing through the center of the tire. I really need a tire that will last longer than 4,500 miles. Any suggestions? I don't need anything sticky since I'm in the Dallas, Texas area. Nothing, but straight lines. I'm going to call the dealer I bought the bike from to see how much they charge for a tire change tomorrow. Any suggestions on a specific brand/type? Website to buy from or should I buy from my dealership?

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
You need a rear TIRE not rear WHEEL.

If you can't r&r the tire yourself I suggest buying it at a local shop, if they will install it cheaper or free for tires they sell.

Otherwise many online sellers. Motorcycle superstore, bike bandit, chaparral and many others.

You should look at the sport touring tires: michelin pr3/pr4, pirelli angel gt and others.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Sport touring tires. Michelin Pilot Road 4 and Dunlop Roadsmart 2 are the best if you're looking for the best blend of life, handling, and performance in all weather conditions. If handling isn't as much of a factor then look at Pirelli Angel GT. If you're on a budget and you want something that's still along those lines and still pretty good but is substantially less money, Bridgestone BT-023. Those should be your choices.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
I is confused.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Look up Bates #2 in Carrollton Texas. Great little shop. Plenty of tires in stock at decent prices for a brick and mortar store. Expect to spend a little over $200 for the tire and $20 for mount and balance.You will need to bring them the wheel off the bike though, they only mount and balance. They are not set up to remove wheels from the bike.

If removing the wheel is not possible then you are left with going to a dealer or motorcycle shop. Expect to pay much more for the tire and around $100 for them to take the wheel off your bike then mount your new tire and put it all back together.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Pilot Roads any day, any version. I could put 12000km on my rear tire on an MT-01 (570lbs bike with 110ft-lb of torque) and with a Continental sport attack at 5000km the wires were showing. Oh and even if you don't need them to stick, they do, in wet, cold, dry...these are juts awesome tires, no downside at all.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Pilot Roads any day, any version. I could put 12000km on my rear tire on an MT-01 (570lbs bike with 110ft-lb of torque) and with a Continental sport attack at 5000km the wires were showing. Oh and even if you don't need them to stick, they do, in wet, cold, dry...these are juts awesome tires, no downside at all.
^^^ THIS ^^^
Pilot roads. You won't be sorry.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Just for the record, I'm looking for a good deal on a rear WHEEL if anyone comes across one.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I couldn't get a Pilot Road 4, but ended up with a Pilot Road 3. Now I can ride the sucker without worrying about a blow out...:cool:

·
Registered
520 Posts
I just replaced rear tire today, had a nail in it so i plugged it and rode to dealer, payed 240. For tire and install, i didnt have tools or patience to do it myself, i didnt wanna wedge at the rim and hurt my blurple.

Now i have a bridgestone tire in front, and a dunlop tire in rear... Doh! ;)

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just replaced rear tire today, had a nail in it so i plugged it and rode to dealer, payed 240. For tire and install, i didnt have tools or patience to do it myself, i didnt wanna wedge at the rim and hurt my blurple.

Now i have a bridgestone tire in front, and a dunlop tire in rear... Doh! ;)
Yeah, I didn't replace the front either. It has a ton of tread. I paid about that same price at my dealership. 30 minutes and I was out of there. Not too bad!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts