Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

So my dealer, who I have a good relationship with, is saying I really should get a power commander along with the 2 brother's exhaust they have in stock. That ups the cost another $400, on top of that he's saying that they will need to get the ECU flashed.

Does this sound right? This kind of modification is new to me and I'd like to run it by you all first.

I'm in Vancouver and there aren't any other real exhaust options right now, I also really like the sound of the 2 brothers.

Thanks!

·
Registered
232 Posts
to my knowledge if you do a slip-on you can get away without a power commander.. but if you do a full exhaust system it is advised to to a power commander or auto tuner to get full benefits from your package in short they are steering you in the right direction and not just suggestive selling things... see if they will give you a package deal if you go for it all at once my 2 cents if its any help..

·
Vendor
2,394 Posts
Yeah, when you get a full exhaust system it is always best to get it tuned correctly.
I'll be getting my PC5 installed tomorrow and then will ship my ECU out to Stoltec Moto for a reflash.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Does the akrapovic full exhaust require a tuning/commander? I thought the akra was designed to "slip on" even though its a full exhaust...am I way wrong?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Hey guys,

So my dealer, who I have a good relationship with, is saying I really should get a power commander along with the 2 brother's exhaust they have in stock. That ups the cost another $400, on top of that he's saying that they will need to get the ECU flashed.

Does this sound right? This kind of modification is new to me and I'd like to run it by you all first.

I'm in Vancouver and there aren't any other real exhaust options right now, I also really like the sound of the 2 brothers.

Thanks!
Take your bike down to see Nels - he can reflash it WITHOUT a PC-V AND install/tune your bike with a new exhaust - hell he can even sell you the exhaust or you can buy one and have it shipped to his shop like I did. His shop is only a 1.5 hour drive down the I-5 once you cross the border and he can do it all while you wait if you make an appointment. If you are on the fence, come over to Vic and ride mine - you'll be sold!

I bought the M4 for $345USD but Nels is also a Graves dealer and can offer you a KILLER price on that full system if you like.

Tell him I referred you and he'll throw in some free stickers and maybe let you use his porta-potty! :cool:

2-wheel dynoworks - the googles is your friend.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Does anyone have any more user vids of the M4 exhaust? Would love to hear them, have watched the few already available on the forum and YouTube and am digging the sound. The M4 has a dB killer yeah?

I dont mind hacking up the stock exhaust, as rewelding a circle back to a circle is pretty easy to get it all back to stock if ever required. The 350 dollar price tag of the M4 to gain a bit better sound entices me greatly. I dont need anymore power really, as this bike has more than enough. Would just love some growl to go with that awesome engine. So that steers me away from the premium price of a full system, and I quite like the stock spaghetti headers also. Again Yamaha hasnt done a bad job in any case, they seem very functional and look very nice.

Hmmmmmm stock exhaust baffle removal or M4?

Decisions. And comments welcome.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Sounds like he's selling you what he has on the shelf. Today, there are plenty of exhaust options out there, look around and pick what looks and sounds the best to you. If your looking for performance, the Power commander is great option. Never heard of a dealer offering ECU flashes, I would investigate that a bit more. I do know there are vendors on the forums that have come up with some pretty solid solutions.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Does anyone have any more user vids of the M4 exhaust? Would love to hear them, have watched the few already available on the forum and YouTube and am digging the sound. The M4 has a dB killer yeah? .......... yes

I dont mind hacking up the stock exhaust, as rewelding a circle back to a circle is pretty easy to get it all back to stock if ever required. The 350 dollar price tag of the M4 to gain a bit better sound entices me greatly. I dont need anymore power really, as this bike has more than enough. Would just love some growl to go with that awesome engine. So that steers me away from the premium price of a full system, and I quite like the stock spaghetti headers also. Again Yamaha hasnt done a bad job in any case, they seem very functional and look very nice.

Hmmmmmm stock exhaust baffle removal or M4?

Decisions. And comments welcome.
I may have the M 4 on bike # 1 tonight and video tomorrow.

I just did the cutting chore last night and as my luck would have it ,

a cold weld with 1/8 " thick bead on top of the metal that had to be ground flush.

Reactions: Poogamer69

·
Registered
555 Posts
I may have the M 4 on bike # 1 tonight and video tomorrow.

I just did the cutting chore last night and as my luck would have it ,

a cold weld with 1/8 " thick bead on top of the metal that had to be ground flush.
Sitting.........waiting..........for that video lol.

Yeah just looked at mine and I also have a large bead to grind.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Sitting.........waiting..........for that video lol.

Yeah just looked at mine and I also have a large bead to grind.
Die grinder wheel a lot quicker than bench grinder.

I just had 1/16th inch wheels, so I paired 2 of them on the mandrel and ground perpendicular to the weld to get flush.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Die grinder wheel a lot quicker than bench grinder.

I just had 1/16th inch wheels, so I paired 2 of them on the mandrel and ground perpendicular to the weld to get flush.
Very nice. I will just use my 5 inch grinder........have some nice 3M sanding pads that we use at work here to grind flush the welds on some assemblies, they will work nicely. Either that or a flap disc lol.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The dealer I bought my bike from installed the m4 slip on and claimed it ran too lean for them to be comfortable with it, so they threw the power commander on it. The pipe sounds awesome, and even though there's freezing rain in the forecast I may just fire it up to hear it run tomorrow. Maybe you'll get two vids lol.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts