Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Idiot riding too fast on the freeway at night

So I'm coming home from my evening ride. Decided to take the highway instead of shooting over Ortega (twisty fun) because I was being lazy and tired.
Riding and loving life, between 80 and 90 MPH (slightly faster than flow of traffic) and low and behold a huge piece of steel in my direct path. Cars on both sides nowhere to go, grabbed a handful of throttle and got the front end up and here are the results below.
Two flats and rims with large smileys. No damage to the oil pan, exhaust or me thank god!
Tire Automotive tire Wheel Auto part Vehicle Tire Automotive tire Wheel Alloy wheel Rim

The large piece of steel you ask? Rim to a Toyota pickup 15x7. Took out 8 cars total plus me with busted oil pans or radiators.

New rims on order. $678 for rims, axles, bearings and seals. Thanks to Pro-Caliber! cheap parts, check em out.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Holy cow!! Lucky you didn't crash with two flats!! I hate riding at night for just this reason, its impossible to see far enough ahead like in full daylight.

Last night was my first night ride with the cree led headlight and it was a huge improvement over stock, but still just cant see far enough ahead for full comfort and confidence.

Really glad you are ok and didn't crash!

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
the wheels are repairable. Wills Rim Repair | Bent motorcycle rim repair

send em off for repair and keep them as spares.

one of the few scenarios i don't mind being behind a car is riding on the highway at night (with enough distance). they tend to have better headlights so drivers usually react to something on the road that would damage their cars - use their reaction to your advantage.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Dude- nice save, seriously! A lot of people would have simply tried to brake, and skid right into it. You had the presence of mind to tackle an obstacle right. Sorry about your rims, but nice work- that could have been real bad!

·
Registered
877 Posts
............Which is why I just about never let cars get next to me.
Usually try to keep it empty around me.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thanks for all the good thoughts. It thought about repairing the wheels but aside from the smiley they are side to side an inch when rolling. And the way I ride I dont want to risk something breaking at high speeds.

My skills come from riding dirt my whole life. First street bike I owned. Guess I can thank the dirt skills for keeping me upright. The CHP guy watched the entire thing and he said I was at least 2 feet of the ground, landed back wheel first and rode it out. Rear was flat instantly and the front took about 10 minutes, rode it half mile on flat to get off the freeway.

Good buddy went down two days prior thanks to old woman stopped in the middle of the road on a blind corner. His went down and slid about 40 feet.
Auto part Motorcycle accessories Vehicle Engine Automotive lighting Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Automotive tire Motor vehicle Auto part Vehicle Tire Automotive tire Automotive exhaust

Reactions: redrider

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
got tons of dented rim stories...

years ago, was at a bike shop shooting the [email protected]#t with the owner and a guy rode in with both rims taco'd. he told us there was construction on the highway where they removed the top surface of the tarmac from two lanes and then left the edge as-is without smoothing the transition. which basically left a 4-5 inch curb that he was unlucky enough to hit at highway speeds. 15 minutes later, another guy rides in, both rims dented. yep, same highway. a couple of minutes later another rider comes in - dented rims. the shop owner ordered a lot of wheels that day.

at night i once hit a pothole that was right at the bottom of a downhill. there was street lighting, but the pothole was shaped and positioned in such a way that it was basically impossible to see until you were right on top of it. i hit it at about 40mph. it sounded like an explosion. i didn't fall, but the impact was enough to dent and crack the wheels. of course the tire beads were broken and they wouldn't hold air. i managed to ride home very slowly (a few miles away) on two flat tires. also blew the fork seals.

hit a pothole on the highway hard enough to dent the rims and lose some air in the tires, but not so hard that the beads didn't reseal and keep the remaining air inside. first chance i was able to, i pulled off to the shoulder and took tire pressure readings. ~20psi front and rear. oddly, i didn't feel like i gained any extra traction with the lower pressures....

·
Registered
272 Posts
Great save glad you didn't do down, dirt skills are hard to beat when riding on the street, scanning ahead and being ready for anything that comes up is all part of dirt riding. RR :cool:

·
Registered
657 Posts
Holy Sht! Thats crazy. How you didn't wipe the bike out is impressive.

Reactions: Lee Drew

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
That is always the biggest fear of night driving in traffic which it makes seeing stuff on the road harder to see.

It also makes me glad that I bought the optional tire and rim warranty, that covers any road hazards, flats or damage, it also covers labour as well. For three years coverage it was about $300, which you'd get back after a couple of flat tires. Since there is always lots of construction in the area. For some strange reason I foresee a couple flats as the tires get worn down.:icon_scratch:

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Holy crap that is crazy!! Way to go on not crashing! Insane...

·
Registered
511 Posts
Holy cow!! Lucky you didn't crash with two flats!! I hate riding at night for just this reason, its impossible to see far enough ahead like in full daylight.

Last night was my first night ride with the cree led headlight and it was a huge improvement over stock, but still just cant see far enough ahead for full comfort and confidence.

Really glad you are ok and didn't crash!
Look into the 1"Denalli LED's I purchased them on Revzilla I have the CREE and installed some Denanalli's and cars stay away from me and light up down the road farther.I work graveyard so I need more light lol.

·
Registered
511 Posts
So I'm coming home from my evening ride. Decided to take the highway instead of shooting over Ortega (twisty fun) because I was being lazy and tired.
Riding and loving life, between 80 and 90 MPH (slightly faster than flow of traffic) and low and behold a huge piece of steel in my direct path. Cars on both sides nowhere to go, grabbed a handful of throttle and got the front end up and here are the results below.
Two flats and rims with large smileys. No damage to the oil pan, exhaust or me thank god!
View attachment 10343 View attachment 10344

The large piece of steel you ask? Rim to a Toyota pickup 15x7. Took out 8 cars total plus me with busted oil pans or radiators.

New rims on order. $678 for rims, axles, bearings and seals. Thanks to Pro-Caliber! cheap parts, check em out.
Glad to hear you survived that I ride at night alot and that's my biggest concern I've seen matresses out on freeways,semi tires,ect.

·
Registered
511 Posts
These work great for night riding.

Reactions: Steve101

·
Registered
377 Posts
Thanks for all the good thoughts. It thought about repairing the wheels but aside from the smiley they are side to side an inch when rolling. And the way I ride I dont want to risk something breaking at high speeds.

My skills come from riding dirt my whole life. First street bike I owned. Guess I can thank the dirt skills for keeping me upright. The CHP guy watched the entire thing and he said I was at least 2 feet of the ground, landed back wheel first and rode it out. Rear was flat instantly and the front took about 10 minutes, rode it half mile on flat to get off the freeway.

Good buddy went down two days prior thanks to old woman stopped in the middle of the road on a blind corner. His went down and slid about 40 feet.
View attachment 10346 View attachment 10347 View attachment 10348
I tell anyone who wants to ride motorcycles to start in the dirt. crashing doesn't hurt nearly as much, and you will learn invaluable skills.

RTSB, what is that radiator 'cowl' is that a 2015 thing or an MT thing? Mine is naked.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts