Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

Longish ride after immediately after break in

2K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  bryce 
#1 ·
I did a search and found nothing pertaining to this subject. I'm at about 400 miles and I'm doing my first oil change tomorrow after a hardish break in. I plan on going on a 250 mile ride with a total of 5 stops Saturday April 19th. The ride is a memorial ride for a friend that was killed on his bike last year. Anyways, i am still varying the throttle, and probably will for the next 400 miles. This trip really won't allow that. Do y'all think it will be ok to just cruise now? I'm guessing the rings should be seated pretty good now.

#2 · (Edited)
Break-ins are a subject where you wiĺl get opinionated answers all over the spectrum. This is what I subscribe to . It hasn't failed me yet. My local dealer races and he uses this for both his street bikes and race bikes. So far, it has proven well in dyno numbers and street life. If this rings well with you, then your break-in is already pretty much done and you can do what you want.

Break In Secrets--How To Break In New Motorcycle and Car Engines For More Power

#3 ·
As hooligan said, you're going to get differing opinions on this. I personally avoided any significant highway time (more than 10 miles) until I hit 750 miles. But that was my preference. If you're changing the oil and varying the rpms, I wouldn't be particularly worried.

Some motochondriacs will have you believe your engine is made of glass, it's not :)

#7 ·
i like that link, because thats exactly what i did for the most part. lol. I rode it like i wanted, but stayed just off the redline for the most part. I'm just gonna ride in the back as suggested and play with it. it's rained everyday here, so i haven't ridden in a week. I just wish i wasn't going on a ride like this so soon. would like to play a little more on the back roads.

#10 ·
You'll be perfectly fine on a long highway ride. I rode mine through canyons & around town for the first 430 miles. Gently worked my way up to redline a few times in the first 50 miles, changed oil at 250 miles.

At 430 miles I had to ride about 45 miles at 80mph. I'm at 3000 miles now and it runs just as good as the day it was new.

I think a lot of people fail to mention that you should be riding it as you normally intend to. For me, lots of canyons & freeway.

#11 ·
I intended on using it for long rides and trips. I use to to play around in the twists and upset kids in ricers. I generally brake everything in pretty hard. I remember drag racing my truck on the way home from the dealer. lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.