Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm finding this seat to be just a miserable turd for any distance really. Heck at 20 miles my backside is ready to throw in the towel. Just wondering if folks are tossing these seats or just living with it?

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
I could only live with mine for a couple of months. My tiny CBR954RR seat was more comfortable, at least flat. Seat Concepts foam and cover here. My first cover was gripper, and since went to the carbon cover to move around easier in the turns.

·
Registered
4,616 Posts
Go to the following thread for one suggestion. Everyone posting opinions should include how much personal cushioning they add to the equation ;-)

Seat mod (reduce the forward slope)

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
i rode the bike home (3 hours one way) and was absolutely miserable by the end of it. First thing I did when winter hit was mail it to Eddy to get reworked. Very glad I did so.

Reactions: DNFDOUG

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I thinking I may get the Shad seat, it's only $325 "only,ugh"......

·
Registered
202 Posts
500ish miles, yesterday. I dont think its that bad.

·
Registered
85 Posts
520km saturday and 300 sunday. If you stop every 150km its ok. Given how these suck juice you stopping roind about then anyway..?

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Stock seat- I used for 7000+ miles I think. No extra padding. Did 250 miles in a day without much bother...but yes, I would slide forward often. Completely uncomfortable for a pillion without a airhawk.
Got the SHAD seat, mostly for the wife. No sliding for me and definitely seems a bit more cushy for the behind but without being too soft or making me sit in a "bucket"- allowing plenty of movement. Did the same 250 miles...I would say 50% improvement for me at least.

·
Registered
66 Posts
i just did 175 in 4ish hours, got off long enough to fuel up, and it wasnt that bad. My passenger didnt last 50 miles though.

@complecs - damn that a hell of a ride! Thats gotta be feel like the Iron Butt Lake Michigan 1000 ride.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Are there covers that can be installed over stock seat to make it more bearable?

·
Registered
93 Posts
I could go for about a tank of fuel before my rear was fussing with my brain. With the Corbin Gunfighter I think I can ride all day.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So if I go with replacement seat do I go Shad or Corbin.. Shad is $75 less!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Katoom - It would be nice to try one of each before you decided. The Corbin is great but a lot heavier than stock. I think it's worth it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Love my Corbin. I could not do more than 150 miles on the OEM before my arse was screaming. Since the new seat, this issue has faded from memory. I can go all day but, yeah, the Corbin is MUCH heavier than the original!

·
Registered
202 Posts
i just did 175 in 4ish hours, got off long enough to fuel up, and it wasnt that bad. My passenger didnt last 50 miles though.

@complecs - damn that a hell of a ride! Thats gotta be feel like the Iron Butt Lake Michigan 1000 ride.
I guess i do have an iron butt. The seat really doesn't bother me at all, but i do mountain bike which has gotten my ass pretty tough, so that probably has something to do with it haha

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
The OEM seat made my balls go numb after about 30-40 minutes and then ache for several hours after I got off the bike.

Of all the motorcycles I have ridden, that was a first for me.

I did several rides before I replaced my seat with a Seat Concepts cover and foam.

I also tried the Yamaha Comfort seat and the Seat Concepts is the better of the two, IMO.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Had a local vehicle upholsterer here in Vancouver rework the seat to my specs, with additional foam and a new cover. Flattened out the slope to prevent constantly slipping forward, and widened it slightly at the front to give more support. Very happy with the result, far more comfortable. Cost me $200 Canadian ($160 US.) I was going to buy from the USA, but with such a horrible exchange rate right now, plus delivery costs, it would have cost me minimum $500 for an aftermarket seat.

2015-04-09 18.38.39.jpg 2015-04-09 18.39.14.jpg

1 - 20 of 20 Posts