Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The majority of the riding I do on the FZ09 is in a straight line being as I commute daily and go on the occasional weekend trip. I haven't found myself going to the twisties that much now-a-days. I'm looking for some recommendations on a long lasting touring tire that would do well on the FZ09.

·
Registered
14 Posts
first of all, welcome to the forum. This thread should be post in the tire and wheel section. Pretty sure tripletreat gonna move this. And here is your answer, Michelin pilot road 4 or pirelli angel gt. Personally I prefer Michelin better.

·
Super Moderator
5,762 Posts
Yes! Yes I am. Come on guys.......try to post stuff in the correct forum section. I understand that some things are questionable about which section to go into, but this thread ain't one of them!

·
Registered
885 Posts
The majority of the riding I do on the FZ09 is in a straight line being as I commute daily and go on the occasional weekend trip. I haven't found myself going to the twisties that much now-a-days. I'm looking for some recommendations on a long lasting touring tire that would do well on the FZ09.
The following thread is probably worth a look...

http://www.fz09.org/forum/16-fz-09-wheels-tires/3266-pirelli-angel-gt-dunlop-sportmax-off.html

Let us know what you decide!

·
Registered
400 Posts
If on a budget, Shinko 009 Ravens are great!

Reactions: ridethepiggy

·
Registered
262 Posts
Avon 3D XM last very long and very good tire!

·
Registered
835 Posts
If on a budget, Shinko 009 Ravens are great!
Agreed! I put 8k miles in a season on my SV650 and could hardly tell that I rode on'em.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Just replaced the rear with a new Pilot Road 4. Got 5077 miles out of the original Bridgestone Battlax. One thing I noticed was how the bike handled as the tire wore out. On past bikes, worn tires caused all kinds of squirrely behavior and strange steering inputs. I noticed none of that with the 09.

·
Registered
260 Posts
...Got 5077 miles out of the original Bridgestone Battlax. One thing I noticed was how the bike handled as the tire wore out. On past bikes, worn tires caused all kinds of squirrely behavior and strange steering inputs. I noticed none of that with the 09.
What model number Bridgestone are your old tires?
My bike was fitted with Dunlops.

·
Super Moderator
5,762 Posts
The Bridgestones were the S-20's Bob. I never did ride on them when I got the bike though, I pulled them off immediately and put a set of the Q3's on my bike then sold the OEM Bridgestones.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Dunlop roadsmart 2

·
Registered
290 Posts
I can attest the Pilot Road tires were on my BMW K1600GT (over 720 lb bike) with trend left to ride after 7,000 miles on the rear. Will be the tires I go to once I get the Dunlops spent.

·
Registered
26 Posts
3900 mi. Dunflop's off PR3's on thanks to Vernzilla.com (just kidding Vern), will be breaking them in tomorrow weather permitting.

·
Super Moderator
5,762 Posts
Vernzilla.....I likey

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey Guys.

Seriously considering the FZ09.

Anybody was able to get 10K of their tires, or expect to?

I know factory dunlops will not, but what about the PR4 or the GTs?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Hey Guys.

Seriously considering the FZ09.

Anybody was able to get 10K of their tires, or expect to?

I know factory dunlops will not, but what about the PR4 or the GTs?

Thanks
Torque to weight ratio of the FZ09 make tire life a bit shorter than on some ither bikes. The S20 lasted about 3500 miles. I can see maybe pushing 6K at the max if you milk it on a Angel GT or other ST tires.

To be fair honest, if there was a tire that you could pound 10K miles on it... you wouldn't use it! I'm been a big fan of the Conti Motion on my FZ6R. Get tones of mileage on them and usually change them way before they're done ( Hate flat spot in the middle... FL thing)

I put about 800 miles on my CM with the FZ09 and change them for Angle GT. After 2 wheel spin in the wet at 40 & 60 MPH I decided to change them before I kill myself!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Torque to weight ratio of the FZ09 make tire life a bit shorter than on some ither bikes. The S20 lasted about 3500 miles. I can see maybe pushing 6K at the max if you milk it on a Angel GT or other ST tires.

To be fair honest, if there was a tire that you could pound 10K miles on it... you wouldn't use it! I'm been a big fan of the Conti Motion on my FZ6R. Get tones of mileage on them and usually change them way before they're done ( Hate flat spot in the middle... FL thing)

I put about 800 miles on my CM with the FZ09 and change them for Angle GT. After 2 wheel spin in the wet at 40 & 60 MPH I decided to change them before I kill myself!
I ask this because my V-Strom 1000 got 11000 from the stock Bridgestones and I am looking at similar numbers from the Metzeler Tourance mounted on it right now.

I commute daily and would hate to have to go get new tires every other month.

I do also live in FL (Tampa) and know about flat spots.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts