Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been on the FZ riding all day, but stopping to eat, etc. Tomorrow, the people I ride with are going on a bit of a hike, around 150 miles one way. I have never gone that far on this bike before. My husband wants to go. He rides a cruiser, so this shouldn't be too much of an issue for him. I'm wondering if this is something that I would want to do- possibly 300+ miles on this bike. I'm assuming they will have to take highways and the speed limit is 65 mph around here. I'm debating taking my Camaro which has been living in the garage anyway and meeting them there or driving/riding somewhere myself tomorrow.

Anyway, the most I have gone has been around 150 miles for the day with a bunch of stops. With a lot of mountain roads, that was more than enough. What do you guys think?

(If anyone is interested, it sounds like a good ride. Here are the specifics-Let's take a ride on the Old Lincoln Hwy through York, Gettysburg, Chambersburg, and up the Tuscarora Mountain to the Mountain House Bar & Grill for lunch. If you have driven Rt. 30 from Gettysburg to Breezewood, you will know the place I'm talking about. It rests on top of the summit off to your left as you're heading west. They have a HUGE DECK that overlooks the Valley and gives some tremendous views. Motorcyclist of all makes and styles make this a frequent stop as the head over the summit. They are leaving from Lititz at 8:45 tomorrow)

Reactions: Davinci

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Sounds like a Blast. If they're planning on stopping for BBQ you can count me in.....!!!

Go for it....that's what you've got the bike for :brave:

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I wouldn't want to do 300 miles on the highway on the fz-09 unless I had a nice size wind screen. I get beat up on the highways. But I'm usually doing over 65 mph lol.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They would be doing over 65 mph. But, they normally take back roads as much as possible. Having mapquested this place, I don't know how they could take back roads. I have been on the highway a few times with the bike, like 30 or 40 miles at a time. It was okay. The wind wasn't the issue, it was having the cars and trucks cutting in and out going 70 mph that I wasn't thrilled with. Riding in PA is nice because you can avoid the highways most of the time and still get to a lot of places.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
The FZ comfortably does 65-70 in third gear. Going 75 to keep up with traffic shouldn't be an issue in either "B" Mode or Std. If it is you should drive the Camaro until your comfortable.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know the bike will go that fast! It's a question of whether I want to ride 300 miles in a day on mountain roads. I'm still pretty new at this, so the mountain roads mentally wear me out. I'm fine with them, and have good lines and can ride the bike, but it drains me. My gut feeling is don't do it. But I'm wondering at what point you push yourself. With a motorcycle, pushing it might not be the best plan. Driving a manual car is second best as far as exciting things to do on wheels, so I wouldn't have a bad time, it would be in the car instead of the bike and I would not be in some kind of formation, more of doing what I want for the day and meeting them there.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Yeah I don't sit behind cars, especially on the freeway. I spend most of my time passing cars and catching up to packs of cars, to pass them. Even though I am forced to go faster it feels safer to me, to be able to look down the highway. Thus, avoiding any suprises on the road (tires, boxes, mattresses, ect.) as well as any cars changing lanes on top of me or trying to merge ect.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I'd say go with your gut, but at the same time I think if you can do 150 then you could do 300. My record on this bike for one day is 650-ish miles and that that was tough on my butt even with the seat concepts seat. Either way you go it sounds like a nice day. Win win.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Every dedicated ride day I usually end up doing somewhere between 150 and 300 miles.

I try and spend as many miles as possible on the twisty roads.

IMO freeways are a necessary evil to get you to the fun stuff.

If I wanted to cruise somewhere farther I would consider getting an FJR.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Every dedicated ride day I usually end up doing somewhere between 150 and 300 miles.

I try and spend as many miles as possible on the twisty roads.

IMO freeways are a necessary evil to get you to the fun stuff.

If I wanted to cruise somewhere farther I would consider getting an FJR.
An FJR or an FZ1.......?????

·
Registered
125 Posts
Depends on how used to it you already are. I took my FZ on a 120 mile ride last weekend and it was all 60-70 mph and I had no issue - I got home wishing it would have lasted longer! A windscreen would be helpful but it definitely is doable without one.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
You can do it. My wife rode from Long Beach to Anchorage last year. 4,500 miles. Her first long ride was endless twisties in Spain for 10 days straight. Hell, she even rode her cramped R6 from Nashville to Austin and back this year.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Jen, nothing to add about distances, but my daughter and I will be in Gettysburg tomorrow morning around 10:00 AM. She works at a store on the first block of Chambersburg Street (although Google Maps shows it as Lincoln Highway) just west of the circle at the center of town, and we'll probably ride together arriving in time for her shift.

I'll look for a group of cruisers with an FZ-09 ;) around 10:00 which may be about the right time. That inadvertently happens to me often in Gettysburg. One minute my FZ-09 and I are on the road with no other motorcycles nearby, the next we're somehow unexpectedly part of a group of cruisers.

Sounds like a neat ride, but my Saturday includes installing a new floor and baseboard in my youngest daughter's room. Short rides only!

·
Super Moderator
4,424 Posts
[QUOpassingTE=redeye;91642]...the next we're somehow unexpectedly part of a group of cruisers.[/QUOTE]

Ugh!

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
2 weekends back, I went to DC. did consistently 60 to 70 (sometimes 80/90 even).Made good time and passing cars stuck in rush hour or random slowness made me real happy.Coming back to the NYC was even faster- escaped a lot of NJ traffic after Google rerouted me through local roads. I just had the Yamaha flyscreen- but no problems with the wind. Feels safer to ride on the highways than in NYC traffic.Like Obijack, I always like to stay ahead of groups of cars, catch up, overtake..and so on and so forth...

·
Registered
584 Posts
If you remember to put your earplugs in before the long stretches, you'll be fine. You might get a sore butt if you have a stock seat but if you take a few breaks along the way that too will be ok. Take your rain gear for sure and a first aid kit... The tip to thread your way through the traffic going slightly faster than the average speed of the other vehicles is really important, IMHO. Ride your own ride, not the ride that others ride but kinda keep track of the other bikes, especially the one behind you so you stay together, sorta.

Check your tire pressure B4 you leave home....ATGATT and have your own GPS. Take some face shield cleaner and a microfiber cloth...

Of course, if you don't like the ride, you can always turn around and go home, but if not now, when?

Reactions: Jen

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That's good advice for a long trip!
This might be over before I go this time. I have one kicking headache. I did yesterday too, but I was within twenty miles of my house. The road to get there is pretty straight forward, so I might do this one minus the group when I feel better.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I've done 3 complete end to end and back on the Blue Ridge Parkway on my R1. Total mileage of about 1400 round trip each time. At the end I was pretty sore and didn't ride for about a week after. I did it once already on the FZ in 2 1/2 days, about 1300 miles. Rode 400 miles the day after I got home. Long distance is a piece of cake on this bike!

1 - 20 of 54 Posts