Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
I wanted to pass along a major issue I ran into with sending off my ECU on my 2018 XSR900 to get flashed. Purchased the M4 exhaust/ECU flash combo from 2 wheel dyno works and sent off my ECU while I installed the exhaust. When I got it back, it would crank, fire up for a couple seconds with a very weird sounding firing order, then die. After troubleshooting, I was told to return the ECU to them. They then sent me an email stating that I have a new generation of ECU from Yamaha ending with a -70 that the Flash Tune software has a huge glitch with. The ECU is locked and they have no option but to order a new factory ECU for me from Japan which may arrive sometime in June.

I want to be clear that I am not blaming 2 wheel dynoworks as I have no evidence they did anything wrong, and they are doing what they can to help me out. I am just passing this along because if I well established tuner like them ran into this, there could be other tuners that have the same issue. Be aware if you are sending that serial of ECU out. I only have the info that they passed along to me.

They stated that Flashtune does not have a fix, so I will unfortunately be running a factory tune with my exhaust for who knows how long which sucks.

View attachment 152710
So lets sum up the situation:

Your bike ran fine and you sent your ECU to be flashed by 2WD. They flashed it and sent it back. Now bike doesn't run. You sent the ECU back to them and then they realize it's a -70 ECU and is locked.
Had they done due diligence they would have realized this prior to flashing it the first time and sent it back in stock form telling you they can't flash it.
So they realized THEY bricked it and at least are willing to replace the ECU for you. I give them credit for that, but they shouldn't have run into that problem in the fist place. My .02

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
So lets sum up the situation:

Your bike ran fine and you sent your ECU to be flashed by 2WD. They flashed it and sent it back. Now bike doesn't run. You sent the ECU back to them and then they realize it's a -70 ECU and is locked.
Had they done due diligence they would have realized this prior to flashing it the first time and sent it back in stock form telling you they can't flash it.
So they realized THEY bricked it and at least are willing to replace the ECU for you. I give them credit for that, but they shouldn't have run into that problem in the fist place. My .02
Yep. As stated, I don't understand why it occurred or why they weren't aware that map has issues or something. They did inform me when I called to check the status after 4-5 days on a 1 day turn around service about this "new" -70 serial I have that is a bit different and newer, but they did not state anything about it being a problem or there being any risk of this. I feel like by that time something had already happened though and MAYBE I should not have been sent back the messed up ECU in the first place. I only know what they are telling me, so yeah, even if something else is up that they aren't telling me, they are at least making it right. Just sucks making it right makes me miss a huge chunk of riding season here in the northwest on a bike I JUST got.

·
Registered
30 Posts
No issues with the 2017.

·
Vendor
1,012 Posts
I wanted to pass along a major issue I ran into with sending off my ECU on my 2018 XSR900 to get flashed. Purchased the M4 exhaust/ECU flash combo from 2 wheel dyno works and sent off my ECU while I installed the exhaust. When I got it back, it would crank, fire up for a couple seconds with a very weird sounding firing order, then die. After troubleshooting, I was told to return the ECU to them. They then sent me an email stating that I have a new generation of ECU from Yamaha ending with a -70 that the Flash Tune software has a huge glitch with. The ECU is locked and they have no option but to order a new factory ECU for me from Japan which may arrive sometime in June.

I want to be clear that I am not blaming 2 wheel dynoworks as I have no evidence they did anything wrong, and they are doing what they can to help me out. I am just passing this along because if I well established tuner like them ran into this, there could be other tuners that have the same issue. Be aware if you are sending that serial of ECU out. I only have the info that they passed along to me.

They stated that Flashtune does not have a fix, so I will unfortunately be running a factory tune with my exhaust for who knows how long which sucks.

View attachment 152710

are you fixed yet??

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
are you fixed yet??
I am! Took a few weeks to get back, and the tune is 90% there by utilizing a general aftermarket exhaust profile. Still got the other good features at least though like 205* fan kick-on, etc... Once it gets more refined I am to send it back in for the new flash. Runs well from what I can tell. I'm just happy to be riding it! Not a fun experience, but hopefully my pain helps prevent others from running into this if Flashtune really did fix this based on my ECU or an unlucky few of us.

·
Vendor
1,012 Posts
I am! Took a few weeks to get back, and the tune is 90% there by utilizing a general aftermarket exhaust profile. Still got the other good features at least though like 205* fan kick-on, etc... Once it gets more refined I am to send it back in for the new flash. Runs well from what I can tell. I'm just happy to be riding it! Not a fun experience, but hopefully my pain helps prevent others from running into this if Flashtune really did fix this based on my ECU or an unlucky few of us.
glad they got it fixed for you!!

·
Registered
15 Posts

View attachment 152710
I`ve heard many ppl ran stock ECU with full exhaust and no issues.. Just backfires and less fuel mileage. M4 told me there are no damages caused by doing so. I also have the M4 RM1 with stock ecu.. I will eventually get the PCV next year.

·
Vendor
1,012 Posts
I`ve heard many ppl ran stock ECU with full exhaust and no issues.. Just backfires and less fuel mileage. M4 told me there are no damages caused by doing so. I also have the M4 RM1 with stock ecu.. I will eventually get the PCV next year.
There wont be damage but the bike will not run the way it should, when my flash is $200 and will take care of all your fueling, needs, smooth out the bike and makes it more fun to ride why would you not spend another $200 to get the bike running as it should.

It is not possible to get the same results with the more expensive PCV. I know some people are hesitant to have their ecu flashed and posts like this don't help that, but ive flashed over 3500 ecu's and not had any instances of an ecu that was bricked. Even the OP was able to get his reflashed and fixed.

·
Premium Member
2,084 Posts
You have much to learn about these bikes young grasshopper!;)

·
Registered
52 Posts
I flashed my own 2016 xsr900 several times on stock exhaust, Termignoni, Akrapovic, back to stock exhaust, block off plates, no block off plates, never had a problem. Tried lots of maps and different functions only thing was the check engine lights up when a function setting was not compatible. For example, block off plates while AIS is on. Easily fixed with a reflash with AIS off. Some flashes work with certain exhaust better then others.

·
Vendor
1,012 Posts
I flashed my own 2016 xsr900 several times on stock exhaust, Termignoni, Akrapovic, back to stock exhaust, block off plates, no block off plates, never had a problem. Tried lots of maps and different functions only thing was the check engine lights up when a function setting was not compatible. For example, block off plates while AIS is on. Easily fixed with a reflash with AIS off. Some flashes work with certain exhaust better then others.
there is no issue with the 16. Its only with the -70 ecu which is on the 18

21 - 36 of 36 Posts
About this Discussion
35 Replies
15 Participants
vcyclenut
Yamaha FZ-09 Forum
We’re the largest Yamaha forum for owners and enthusiasts of the FZ-09 and MT-09. The site has thousands of topics covering performance and reliability, photos, videos and more!
Full Forum Listing