Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
Just picked up a '14 FZ-09 and after reading a lot of threads for OEM shock swap replacement options, so I'm reaching out to the community to see if you have one after swapping to a newer aftermarket one or if you know a source or someone who does for an OEM with or without mods done to it for the below models:

ZX6RR 05-06
ZX10R 08-10

I've been checking CL, eBay, Amazon and as many salvage yards as possible on a daily/weekly basis to no luck yet. I'm a 225 lbs. former racer that is not looking forward to leisure rides where I can't really push it and have fun. I would greatly appreciate your feedback when you can and have a great new year!

Thanks again!
D

·
Registered
616 Posts
Have you checked or placed an ad in the classifieds section here? There are members here that started out with this mod and have subsequently moved on to after market shocks. Marthy started posting about the ZX10/ZX6 shock swap about a year ago. As popular as this mod has been, I can see that it may be difficult to find good used donors. Good luck with your search.

·
Registered
584 Posts
put a search and notification on eBay... that way they will notify when one shows up... took me about 3 weeks but I found one

Reactions: cza888 and Thantos

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Join the ZX10R forum and put an ad in their wanted classifieds.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Good idea on the eBay notification. I found my zx6rr shock on eBay listed as a zx6r shock. Keep your eyes peeled.

·
Registered
218 Posts
put a search and notification on eBay... that way they will notify when one shows up... took me about 3 weeks but I found one
Any of those still for sale?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I went with the '05-'06 ZX-6R (636) shock, as there always seem to be an abundance of them on ebay. I was able to get one shipped to the house for $52. I know everyone is favoring the RR version because of HS compression adjustment and same eye-eye length as stock. For me, the lack of HS adjustment for street use is a minor issue. As far as eye-eye length, all of the stats I have been able to find list the length of the 6R at 335.5mm (I actually measured it at 336mm with a metric sag tape by putting the bolts through the holes and measuring edge to edge on the bolts). Although I just recently performed the mod and will not have the opportunity to ride and test it out for a few more months, I welcome the added 6mm in length because as you know as a racer, in addition to the increased ride height everyone knows about, it also increases swingarm angle which up to a certain point helps drive out of corners (anti-squat). In addition to all of the other mods/considerations that have already been well documented on this forum in several other threads, in order to make the shock fit properly without any clearance issues, I also shaved approx 1mm off of a small area of the linkage. My findings and reason for doing so: with shock installed and suspension completely unloaded as bike was hanging from ceiling by passenger peg brackets, the spring would contact the top of the link as the rear wheel is off the ground. While I realize the likelihood that this will probably not happen in the day to day unless you jump the bike off the ground, I decided not to take the chance, and although it might not be popular with some, I won't lose any sleep over removing a little bit of material from that beefy link unless I gain about 700 pounds. My guess as to why it touches is that the circumference of the spring on this shock is probably slightly larger since I know that guys are installing 10R and Penske units with as much as 8-10mm added length without issue. A couple pics for reference...
Auto part Vehicle Brake Car Engine Auto part Brake Vehicle Car Suspension

·
Registered
383 Posts
Ah ok, do you know by chance the difference in spring rates? And would you say it's still a minimal improvement over stock? I just need something to support my weight

·
Registered
30 Posts
Ah ok, do you know by chance the difference in spring rates? And would you say it's still a minimal improvement over stock? I just need something to support my weight
I can't remember for sure what the spring rates are between the 2. I know it's in another thread on here somewhere, and I saw it before somewhere else on a chart online. I have not even had a chance to ride mine and test it out since the install unfortunately since my bike is in winter hibernation. However, even just after checking sag numbers and pushing on the bike and making a couple clicks of compression and rebound adjustment, I can already tell it will be at least a bit of improvement over the stock FZ shock, and that is just in it's own (6R) stock form... I won't bother with a revalve or respring as this is hopefully just a temporary solution until I can save for a Penske 8987 Triple Clicker (eventually). For reference, I'm about 180~185lb geared up to ride. True test will come when I get a chance to take it for a ride...

·
Registered
877 Posts
Hi All,
Just picked up a '14 FZ-09 and after reading a lot of threads for OEM shock swap replacement options, so I'm reaching out to the community to see if you have one after swapping to a newer aftermarket one or if you know a source or someone who does for an OEM with or without mods done to it for the below models:

ZX6RR 05-06
ZX10R 08-10

I've been checking CL, eBay, Amazon and as many salvage yards as possible on a daily/weekly basis to no luck yet. I'm a 225 lbs. former racer that is not looking forward to leisure rides where I can't really push it and have fun. I would greatly appreciate your feedback when you can and have a great new year!

Thanks again!
D
I have an Ohlins rear shock from a ZX 10 that I modified to fit 1 of 2 FZ 09's .

Kept the shock when I sold FZ 09 # 2.

It is set up for a 230 Lb rider with the 1091 / 105 spring that it has.

Also have a 1091 / 95 spring as an option for a lighter rider.

Would sell the Ohlins for $ 500 with choice of springs, which is what I paid for the shock from Ebay.

FZ 09 # 1 , which I still have , has an Ohlins from a Gixxer 1000.

Write up of the shock as modified to fit my bike:

http://www.fz09.org/forum/10-fz-09-...hock-conversion-machine-work-skunk-werkz.html

·
Registered
673 Posts
I have an Ohlins rear shock from a ZX 10 that I modified to fit 1 of 2 FZ 09's .

Kept the shock when I sold FZ 09 # 2.

It is set up for a 230 Lb rider with the 1091 / 105 spring that it has.

Also have a 1091 / 95 spring as an option for a lighter rider.

Would sell the Ohlins for $ 500 with choice of springs, which is what I paid for the shock from Ebay.

FZ 09 # 1 , which I still have , has an Ohlins from a Gixxer 1000.

Write up of the shock as modified to fit my bike:

http://www.fz09.org/forum/10-fz-09-...hock-conversion-machine-work-skunk-werkz.html
I'm interested in your Ohlins shock if you still have it. PM sent.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts