Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In short ive been trying to buy an FZ09 for a few months now, and Ive had no luck. I check the dealers within a few hours drive regularly. Two days ago a dealer about 200 miles away gets a wrecked bike in. Apparently the owner hit a guardrail, then put the bike down. The dealer is asking 7490$ for the bike and they don't plan on fixing the damage, Does this sound logical? seems to me like a lot to ask for a wrecked bike.

Do these bikes have a tip over sensor where they will shut the engine off when its on its side? If not this bike could have suffered from oil starvation.

I think im going to keep waiting until I find a new bike, I just wanted to ask for you guys opinion.

·
Registered
619 Posts
that's $250 less than I paid for a brand new one. There is a level-sensor that shuts the bike down if it's on it's side, so I wouldn't worry about oil starvation, but that doesn't excuse the outrageous price. That dealer must be on drugs or something.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
I think you're smart to wait and not spend your money on that one. For one thing, the price is ridiculous for a wrecked bike that they're not willing to repair. Most importantly, there's the visual damage you can see, but what about the potentially unseen damage that may or may not show up down the road that the dealer may or may not fix for you? I would NEVER give crooks like that my hard earned money. Sounds like they're trying to take advantage of the high demand for the FZ to jack some cash from some unsuspecting customer. Shameless...

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Offer $5k. I would pay $5000 tops for it and then spend some bucks to replace the scuffed parts myself.

New out the door pricing has dropped to about $8k, typically a bike loses 20-25% as soon as it leaves the showroom so that would mean a brad new one is worth about $6-6.5k as soon as it rolls out the door.

Even a minor tipover is another 20% so about $5k is what its worth.

Dealer can ask anything he wants to ask but only a fool would pay $8k for that bike.

Reactions: Travis

·
Registered
311 Posts
Two days before I bought my FZ09 I walked into a local dealer to look at a used street triple R my brother in law saw there a couple days before. I called them to set an appointment, but some guy paid cash and walked the day before and they forgot to tell me. The sales manager, as an apology for wasting my time, said he'd be happy to show me a comparable bike(FZ09) and slash $1000 off the MSRP if I was interested.

Long story short, the next day I got a ride and rode the bike home. With tax&tag it was a tad over what they're asking, but the bike itself was $6984 with 0 miles on it. Don't even consider paying that.

·
Registered
201 Posts
dont even consider buying a crashed fz09 for that. you can get a modded fz09 for that price on this forum that hasnt been crashed...

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Romney Cycles- I paid $7450 with no set up or prep or freight. This was in the winter, but you shouldn't pay more than that.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Romney Cycles- I paid $7450 with no set up or prep or freight. This was in the winter, but you shouldn't pay more than that.
Unless you live in Calif or So Florida -- relatively lg population with few dealerships kills OTD pricing:crushed:

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Unless you live in Calif or So Florida -- relatively lg population with few dealerships kills OTD pricing:crushed:
In California what kills it is the fact that you cant buy a new bike or car out of state .....that law just helps the dealers screw over the general public.....
Im pretty sure whichever politician put that law on the books, owned a dealership or two

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
I doubt that I would call that bike wrecked, but dumped by someone that has no business riding a motorcycle. The first thing that I would have asked the dealer is if the title was not an insurance salvage which I doubt seriously. The second thing I would have asked the dealer is he crazy or just not nice for asking that much for the bike. Wait until the 2015's hit the shores. Late August, I bet.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
That's the price I paid for my new one (cost of the bike not otd)

·
Registered
962 Posts
Is that $7500 and they'll throw in free replacement tank and engine case when they come in? If not - then find another dealer farther away and spend a little more to get a lot better deal. Several years ago I bought a new bike over the phone and with my credit union - then flew to it and rode it home. Even with the flight and 2 hotel stays it was cheaper than buying the last one left where I lived.

FWIW: They have bolt on case savers that completely cover that case damage so I would cover it rather than replacing it...

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for all of the opinions and advice everyone. Im in Tennessee, and it doesn't seem like Yamaha has allotted many bikes for this area. I don't plan on buying this wrecked bike from the dealer, mainly because ive had to deal with them in the past and they treated me like garbage. I don't understand why some dealers seem to alienate younger riders or potential customers.

Back on the subject of the bike. The tank is scuffed up (hard to tell in the crummy cell photos), Clutch cover rash, bar end rash. The damage isn't that bad, but why not just fix it? Dealer pricing on parts is reasonable and then a higher asking price would be warranted, around 6500-7k$ IMO.

Ill hold out for a new one or buy a used one, (liquid graphite is the only color Im considering). I plan on highly modifying the bike once I get one. Machined aluminum subframe aesthetically similar to an ebr 1190 RX, Modified r6 swingarm, Machined drop triples for r6 forks, possible undertail exhaust ETC

1 - 20 of 21 Posts