Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well its been a year now and here are my thoughts on the bike, I was lucky enough to get the first 09 that Berkley honda yamaha received (its red and we all know the red ones are faster and handle better ) So far i've put 7000 miles on it with no issues at all I've changed oil and filter three times adj the chain twice and put a set of tires on. The reason for the low miles is I also ride alot of dirt and do adventure riding so my time is split, but the one thing I know for sure is every time I get on the 09 it puts a huge smile on my face for very little money. The only changes I've made so far is rear fender, seat, hand guards,levers,wind screen, sliders and yamaha luggage.( suspinsion to come ) The bike has been all over Calif, Nevada, Oregon, and Washington on mountian roads and very little freeway or straight roads and has always worked very well even with the stock sup.( can't wait to get a good shock ) The bike was on the cover of City Bike Mag in Feb . Everyone who rides the bike has the same story WOW!!!!! how could yamaha build this bike for under $8000 and I want one. The one thing I know for sure is the bikes a keeper. Well thats my story now lets hear yours. RR:cool:

·
Registered
124 Posts
Thank you!
I have some issues with mine..cct, cold start sometimes.but ..HELLYEAH!
nice to know that its reliable and fun after all
I love it
Best bang for the buck and I truly love mine
I'll keep it !

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
My one year is up in two weeks. Coming up on 12,000 Kilometers, even with winter, another bike and a car.. lots of little mods, currently working on suspension. Only the seat and ECU flash to come and i'll be done for the most part. 4 oil changes, 1 set of new tires and only 1 chain adjustment due to the timing in changing tires. I wanted a standard motorcycle, you know, the one that can do just about anything on and have a bunch of fun goofing around if the desire hits... from my cold, dead hands! I will not part with this machine willingly... it completes me so well, my resting heartrate is actually lower when i'm sitting on it... that's how it makes me feel.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
It will be 1 year and 9300 miles tomorrow. Picked mine up and Grand Prix in Santa Clara 9/24/13.

So far only a couple of trips. One 1100 mile 3 day weekend to northern California and one about 600 mile weekend to Yosemite and back.

Love the bike. It always makes me smile. It has surpassed my 03 FZ1 (RIP 9/23/13) as my favorite of all about 60 bikes Ive owned over the last 45 years.

Traxxion/Penske suspension and Seat Concepts seat were the most important mods.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Yea buddy the FZ is close to the most fun you can have in the day light with your clothes on!

Got mine last February up in Oregon for $8250 out the door. Shee Bee a Red one. Just north of 8000 miles on the odometer now. Mostly twisties. On my 4th rear tire and 3rd front.

From front to rear: Ermax flyscreen, Baja Designs LED light up the world light. Mad Hornet red levers, puppy grips, AK-20 fork cartridges from Traxxion Dynamics, Laam custom seat.

Graves block off plates, ZX6-RR shock re-sprung and re-valved by Traxxion Dynamics, Yosh fender eliminator. Ugg... I am out of breath.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
10 months and 4500 miles on mine. I got mine in the middle of November due to the dealership screwing up my order. It only took me 9 1/2 months to get it exactly the way I wanted it, but everything was worth it. So many things that I can't even list them. The only thing I lack is the speed limiter removed, which is probably going to be a winter project.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I got mine November 4, 2013. Got 4100 miles on her and bunch of mods. Mostly performance, havn't done much to the looks except for radiator guards.
I love this bike... :)

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
I'm going to move this to the Ride Report section....probably better suited there.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Vern you just killed a great general discussion on owing this bike for a year, this was in no way a ride report. Any way this is a great forum and lots of good info. RR:cool:

·
Registered
343 Posts
Wow great read. I do have to disagree due to my ownership of a superior orange fz-09 , however I read your post and get it. Who couldn't like this machine. I guess I enjoy the throttle blast off and figure everyone is punching it , front wheel up and thumb up givin er.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Great to here all these journeys on this awesome Yamaha! Personally I just rolled 11,000 miles on mine and have owned it since March of this year. About to replace the tires again this weekend with some Q3's :) Other than oil changes and a few cosmetic mods it has been a very reliable bike and "soul transporter".
Now that is cooling down here in CA I'm going to upgrade the suspension with Penske and hit some more track days!

BTW this is my first street bike and it has been a fantastic journey with 11,000 smiles and many more to come. 100,000 miles is right around the corner ;)

·
Registered
883 Posts
October 18, 2013 was my first day of FZ-09 ownership. One year later, on a group ride including www.FZ09.org member fatfurious2 and through parts of Virginia, West Virginia, and Maryland, 9,000 miles rolled onto Trinity's odometer. If I could turn the calendar back one year... same decision... ride the FZ-09. No regrets and a fantastic ride.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Well its been a year now and here are my thoughts on the bike, I was lucky enough to get the first 09 that Berkley honda yamaha received (its red and we all know the red ones are faster and handle better ) So far i've put 7000 miles on it with no issues at all I've changed oil and filter three times adj the chain twice and put a set of tires on. The reason for the low miles is I also ride alot of dirt and do adventure riding so my time is split, but the one thing I know for sure is every time I get on the 09 it puts a huge smile on my face for very little money. The only changes I've made so far is rear fender, seat, hand guards,levers,wind screen, sliders and yamaha luggage.( suspinsion to come ) The bike has been all over Calif, Nevada, Oregon, and Washington on mountian roads and very little freeway or straight roads and has always worked very well even with the stock sup.( can't wait to get a good shock ) The bike was on the cover of City Bike Mag in Feb . Everyone who rides the bike has the same story WOW!!!!! how could yamaha build this bike for under $8000 and I want one. The one thing I know for sure is the bikes a keeper. Well thats my story now lets hear yours. RR:cool:
So I had been harrassing Scott at Berkeley Yamaha about these bikes for about four weeks when your bike showed up. Luckily I am a repeat customer at Berk Yamaha, so they know me, and I was there while they were prepping your bike and I got the second red fz-09 from them. Your bike and the liquid graffite were both there and I just fell in love with the rapid red. I've got about 9500 miles on mine now. It's been in California, Nevada, Utah, Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, and Idaho. Its been on Sonoma Raceway, Thunderhill and Buttonwillow Raceway too. What an awesome machine!! Thanks Yamaha and thanks FZ-09.org and everyone here for making this community as awesome as these bikes. Woot!!

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I agree the bike is awesome, glad you got a red one because they are realy faster no BS . Been dealing with Scott and Carl for years real stand up people and run a great dealership. RR :cool:

·
Registered
584 Posts
Only 9 months and 2500 miles here but that's enough to convince me to sell the Road King...I like it that much... Sooooo, if anyone wants a 2002 RK, there's a deal waiting for you here. Better hurry though, beat the snow and ride it anywhere.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Only 400 miles since I bought it a month ago. Recovering from surgery, so I have been updating the parts on the stock bike. Windscreen, handguards (cool weather riding), F&R suspension, ECU tune, Powerlet near handlebars, Ram-mount, and new seat cover on the way. Should be back on the road next week to see how the changes all work out. Looking forward to a month of riding everyday until the cold weather moves in.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts