Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Fellow Bike riders...

Can anyone fill me in with their experiences, both positive and negative, of fitting a Lithium Battery to the XSR, or any other bike.....?

It's nearly time for a new battery here and I like to idea of the light, supposedly long lasting lithium battery.

Not quite sure if they live up to the stories I read about.

Bob.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I left mine for a couple of months over winter without a battery saver (didn't know if the one I had was safe to use on Li battery). Dead, and couldn't be brought back. Back to lead acid for me. Probably a couple of pounds lighter, but not worth it imo.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
An AGM (absorbed glass mat battery) i found best (lead acid). It stands up well to low temperatures and has a low self-discharge. It has a charge that is up to five times faster than the flooded version, and the ability to deep cycle.

You can even lay them on their sides if the posts are on the opposite side to compensate (although check with each manufacturer about that before doing so).

This is the route I take when battery replacement comes due.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I used an anti-gravity battery in my vfr 800 streetfighter for a few years before i sold the bike.
Absolutely awesome. Held a charge for months, always started crisp and clean.
This is going to be my choice when the battery goes on my FZ.
I'm curious how the "jump start" mode works.

From their site:

Never get stranded again. Antigravity Batteries introduces the all new RE-START Lightweight Lithium-Ion Battery line for Motorcycles and Powersports vehicles. The first and only battery with BUILT-IN JUMP STARTING! Never again worry about leaving your lights on and coming back to a dead battery! Simply press the RE-START button to activate the built-in jump starting, start the vehicle and ride away. We have just changed the Motorsports battery forever. Perfect for everyday or Race use. These come in OEM Powersports standard sizes but work in many applications even Car Racing.

·
Super Moderator
4,227 Posts
I have an 7 year old Shorai sitting in my shed and just for yucks, I checked it with my volt/ohm meter and it read 13.2 volts. I admit to putting it on a battery tender for an evening, back in August 2018.

·
Registered
2016 xsr 900
553 Posts
I've been running an antigravity lithium battery since I bought my xsr in Feb. I haven't had any issues. Used the jump start feature once, I purposely left the headlight on while setting up camp in the dark until the battery shut off everything, and it worked as advertised. I can't comment on longevity. I know one of the 'negatives' is low power in the cold but I haven't had any issues starting my bike even when it was in the 30's, which is about as cold as I'm willing to ride anyways.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Had a Shorai in my F4i and never had a problem. Never bought a special charger for it, never charged it even over the winter. In the spring, it would still be over 13v.

I was a bit concerned though as Hondas are known for regulators randomly going bad. A bad regulator going overcharge could start a fire that you wouldn't put out.:eek: Then, my regulator went bad. But it wasn't an overcharge condition, it would quit charging after it got hot (about 15 minutes).

I might consider another when time comes due on the MT, they are VERY light!

·
Registered
16 fz09
255 Posts
I've ran the wps featherweight on my last 3 bikes. Not 3 different batteries but 1 battery used in 3 bikes. 06 cbr f4i, 07 cbr 1000, and now the fz. The only issue I've ever noticed is lower power when really cold. Even then it wasn't bad, hit the starter button for 1.5 to 2 seconds, let of, wait about 3 seconds, tap starter again and fires right up. The draw from the first push of the starter button heats the battery to get more power for the second push. This is at around freezing temperatures. Same battery in 3 bikes over 5ish years, never had a dead battery with it even after setting for a few months. And the thing I like is it comes in at under 1 lb. The wps also have a battery power indicator like all the cordless tools have now

·
Registered
614 Posts
If you in Oz buy a SSB, have a 6 year old one, bought for my 2014 1290, then fitted to my 2014 MT09 at the end of that year, 2016 09, 2017 09, 2018 MT09SP & now fitted to my KTM 890 Duke & still going strong.

Reactions: Aussie Bob

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have the PERFECT battery in my 2015 FZ-09. Lithium and never had a problem... you wouldn't even notice it's lithium until you looked for the battery. It's a Shoria that I have had for a few years now. It's the bigger one. I'll get the number off of it when I get a chance. It's worth every penny.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Definitely worth it. I've had them in 3 bikes and will actually be looking for one for my Jeep when the two batteries in that go bad.
In the FZ that I hardly ride now, it always starts first try. I never use a charger/maintainer on it. There just is no need.
The only real negatives I've heard about them is in really cold weather. We don't cold weather here so that probably helps. But I have heard that in really cold weather they need a couple of bumps (hit the starter momentarily) to internally warm up then they go right back to normal. It's the kind of thing that effects you on the first start of the day but after that its g2g.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Heard great things, will replace the lead one in my FZ with one when I kill the original. One of the cheapest ways to drop weight on a bike, I’ve already done the exhaust and will probably do a 520 chain conversion when my OE stuff wears out. After that it gets $$$ to loose weight on the bike!

Reactions: Aussie Bob

·
Registered
207 Posts
I just replaced the battery in my 2016 model. I was too tight to buy the Yuasa battery or a lithium. I bought a RevPlus AGM battery for $50 thru a contact in the industry. I figured it's worth trying for $50. The battery is mounted laying on it's side by the way, just so you know.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If you in Oz buy a SSB, have a 6 year old one, bought for my 2014 1290, then fitted to my 2014 MT09 at the end of that year, 2016 09, 2017 09, 2018 MT09SP & now fitted to my KTM 890 Duke & still going strong.

Thanks Kev,

Can you pass me the model number of the battery you speak of....?

AB.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts