Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this has been discussed but I couldn't find anything on it.

When I park the bike for a bit (grabbing lunch, for example) I'll come back and there is usually a small amount of liquid that has come out of the little excess (I guess?) tubes by the kickstand.

I smelled it, and I THINK it's gas, but I'm not entirely sure. Never been good with smells.

Is this something to worry about?

Thanks so much! :)

·
Registered
962 Posts
You can always taste it - it won't kill you from that little bit. But chances are it's gas. If it is gas then it is something to be concerned about. If it's water - then it's condensation escaping and a sign that you shouldn't park the bike outside...

Is this only happening right after you've filled the tank? If you fill a tank with cold gas, and then park it in the sun - the gas will expand as it warms and then you'll get it peeing out the overflow. This isn't something to worry about.

If it happens on less than a full tank (and it's gas) then you've got a clogged vent or something which needs to be fixed. Best to get it done for free on the warranty...

·
Registered
657 Posts
Normal if you just filled your tank, and it's warm outside.

Reactions: janzend

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
If it dries up, it may be gas. I was getting a little oil out of mine from the breather tube into the airbox, which then drains out the tube by the countershaft sprocket. I use a jug with the exact amount of recommended oil at change, but I may have not gotten enough drained out at oil change (rear spool stand may be the culprit) so I took a syringe with a long tube and sucked a few ounces out of the oil pan and the problem went away. I never go by the sight window at oil change, but I check it periodically to make sure that I am not bone dry.

If the residue feels oily, then it is oil.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
You mean sometimes after a change the level is above what can be seen in the window?
I can only guess that because my bike was raised on a rear stand, there was still oil left in the oil pan that did not escape when I pulled the drain plug and the filter. I always change it when the motor is hot. I put exactly 2.85 qt (91.2 oz) in mine. Evidently, it was too much because some of the oil worked its way into the airbox and out the overflow tube.

Now if you are trying to be funny Bob, I get it. My bifocals don't work well when I am sideways on the floor looking at that friggin window while doing a trapeze act trying to balance the bike straight up and down. My Honda had a dipstick; novel idea.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Lol, I wasn't trying to be funny, just wanted a clarification of what you said before. Yeah, I'd like a dip stick too. My eyes have gone to s*** the last dozen years, I have trifocals but haven't really warmed up to them, I often take my glasses off and get really close while wrenching lol.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
I wear progressives most of the time and use bifocals to read, ride, and tinker. I had lazik surgery for riding, but it wore off after six years.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I had to find my cheaters to see this in order to respond. I would never taste it, that's for sure. My old bike has an overflow tube from the battery. Yummy, battery acid. The other one is for expansion vapor from gas tank. More yummy.

You old guys on here probably remember the original Hawaii 5-0. It ended the same way every week. McGarret tasted the coke or heroin, followed by, "book him Dano." That dude must have been on full time tweak.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi I'm a new owenet of a liquid graphite one and I am also have fuel leaking from the vent tube only happens in the sun I have had my dealer take a look and contacted yamaha corp they say we are not having this problem it is fuel and gets worse as fuel level lowers and temps rise any ideas? Thanks

·
Registered
637 Posts
My bike is exhibiting this same little dribble at 2000 miles. It looks like oil as the stains are not evaporating. I'm not going to fret over it unless it becomes a puddle.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Mine is still dribbling oil out of the overflow tube. I am pulling the airbox off next week to do some more stuff and will look inside to see if I can track down the culprit.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I had it drip oil after the first change but I probably too much in so it was too be expected. If it does it again, I'll let you know

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 39 Posts