Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started to post this under "What have you done to your bike today?", but those should probably be success stories. Yesterday I installed a set of Hyper-Lites (Hyperlites Flashing LED Motorcycle brake lights, Running Lights and Turn Signal) LED brake/turn signals which are quite the setup for being noticed from the rear. That all went as planned and today I installed a Kisan Headlight modulator P75W, which works great. Then I started installing the Hyper-Lites amber front turn signals and some of those small flush mount LEDs (Ebay) to replace the OEM Lemon-on-a -stick turn signals. Every thing was going well as I continued to test my lights/signals each step of the way. Right after I got the headlight back up in place, I turned the key on again to check everything and I noticed the auxiliary lights in the headlight didn't light. Then I noticed my tail light wasn't on. I checked the brake lights and got nothing. The front and rear signals work. The headlight functions on hi and lo and the modulator works. The bike starts just fine and the dash panel functions like it should. I also found the horn does not work. I went over all my connections and I checked every fuse and can't find zip that would indicate a problem.
I was all ready to post some shots of the finished work and a video of the brightly flashing brake lights, but I'm stumped. Do any of you who understand the mysterious ways of electrons have any suggestions for me?
What's really tearing me up is we are having phenomenal Spring on the Kenai Peninsula and I should be riding, before the Funny River forest fire devours the whole place!

quicksilver:confused:

·
Registered
10 Posts
yep fuse in the side panel, when it blows you have no taillight, brakelight, plate light, or horn, also the aux lights in headlight. pretty much what you have mentioned

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes I did mention fuses and I did indeed check the Parking light fuse and the Auxillary fuse. I didn't bother to check the Signalling system fuse because my turn signals functioned just fine. The 7.5 amp fuse (Signaling system) was the culprit. Thanks for the quick responses. Now I have to put it all back together and post some pics.

quicksilver

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
Any clues on why the fuse blew? Shorted wiring? Overloaded? There is always a reason that a fuse will blow, very, very rarely do they let go because of vibration/fatigue/etc.

Reactions: RichBaker

·
Registered
63 Posts
Any clues on why the fuse blew? Shorted wiring? Overloaded? There is always a reason that a fuse will blow, very, very rarely do they let go because of vibration/fatigue/etc.
Probably short-circuited the power (+) and the ground (-) during install

·
Registered
63 Posts
Yes I did mention fuses and I did indeed check the Parking light fuse and the Auxillary fuse. I didn't bother to check the Signalling system fuse because my turn signals functioned just fine. The 7.5 amp fuse (Signaling system) was the culprit. Thanks for the quick responses. Now I have to put it all back together and post some pics.
What about the pics @quicksilver ?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts