Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forums, and just bought a used fz09. I've been trying to set up my front suspension and i think i'm doing something wrong. I weigh 150lbs, 160 with gear and cant seem to get my rider sag right, as it stands right now i have 5 lines showing on the suspension that's without counting the first line right at the top and the last line barely showing right at the bottom. The measurements i got are:

134mm on the side stand
116mm with no rider
99 with me on it

so does that mean my rider sag is only 17mm? that's half of what the recommended is. Now i know i didn't measure the
unloaded height since i don't have a way to lift the bike, though i did find some specs that say the suspension travel is 137mm which is close to my stand measurement of 134.

am i doing something wrong, can anyone around my weigh chime in?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Rider sag is suspension length fully extended (your 137/134mm measure) minus suspension length with rider in full gear on bike ( your 99mm measure). Sounds like you're at 35-38mm rider sag. That's about right for street riding. My most recent numbers are 138-105 = 33mm rider sag. There is no "perfect" number. Whatever works best for your type of riding.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
You can lift the bike by levering it up on the side stand, and get a friend to measure. Twist one way, front wheel up, twist the other way, back wheel up.
don't forget to do the rear sag, too.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks that makes more sense

1 - 4 of 4 Posts