Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
'21 Yamaha MT-09
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone messed around with the lift control settings? I'm curious how much and what types of intervention are applied between the three levels. I've gotten the front wheel up an inch or two during normal acceleration in first and second gear with LIF set to 2, but I've been hesitant to do any more than that.

I'm going to head to a large parking lot in a week or two to test things out, but I'd be a lot more comfortable if I had an idea of how the lift control behaved. For example, does the setting just determine how high you can raise the front wheel, like 3 allows for 15 degrees, 2 allows 30 degrees, 1 allows 45? From some of the promo material it sounds like it controls the rate of descent. Perhaps rate of ascent as well?

I'm also assuming there's some limit to control authority to the system? Like if you really goose the throttle in first or do a clutch drop you can still blow past the intervention the system applies and flip over backwards?

If anyone has good feedback on the other rider aids I'm interested to hear that as well.

·
Registered
2016 xsr 900
1,348 Posts
What year is your bike? The 2021's have a whole different system than the earlier bikes.
I am far from a wheelie expert, but I haven't ever seen any limits in TCS mode 1 on my 2016 xsr. As far as I can tell mode 1 limits wheel spin, but not front tire lift. My experience with TCS mode 2 is as you describe, if you try you can get a little hop, or a short power wheelie a few inches high.

·
Registered
'21 Yamaha MT-09
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry, I should have mentioned the year! 2021. I didn't realize the previous models had traction control, thought they only had ABS and selectable engine mappings for some reason.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Lift Control System? I was unaware of such. I know of TCS ( Traction Control System ) which is comparing front wheel speed vs rear wheel. Is there a different baby sitter I'm not aware of?

·
Registered
2016 xsr 900
1,348 Posts
Sorry, I should have mentioned the year! 2021. I didn't realize the previous models had traction control, thought they only had ABS and selectable engine mappings for some reason.
You'll have to be the pioneer and discover how these things work for the rest of the new 2021 owners.

·
Registered
'21 Yamaha MT-09
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just wanna have fun and not kill myself! It's the same IMU tech as in the R1, so hoping there's some overlap.

·
Registered
28 Posts
If its the same as the R1 you could just dump the clutch and it will stop it flipping. I'll find out next week when I collect mine.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Following - I have the exact same questions. I have a 21 model, but don't feel that I have the skills to take it to the limit yet.

Plus the fact that here in Denmark you will loose your driving license if you get caught doing a wheelie..

·
Registered
7 Posts
2021 MT-09 - Even with the LIF turned off, it is virtually impossible to get the front wheel off the ground. I have tried all the settings and no wheelie. I miss that compared to my FZ-07. In the settings It can be tuned off but it seems that it is not really off. Disappointing!

·
Registered
2016 xsr 900
1,348 Posts
2021 MT-09 - Even with the LIF turned off, it is virtually impossible to get the front wheel off the ground. I have tried all the settings and no wheelie. I miss that compared to my FZ-07. In the settings It can be tuned off but it seems that it is not really off. Disappointing!
I find this very difficult to believe, does the 21 model have different throttle modes, perhaps you are in rain mode on the throttle or something?

·
Registered
'21 Yamaha MT-09
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I was going to say, my '21 MT-09 is more than happy to lift the front wheel up in LIF mode 2. Like psycoreefer said, you're probably in drive mode 4 or you need to see your mechanic.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I was going to say, my '21 MT-09 is more than happy to lift the front wheel up in LIF mode 2. Like psycoreefer said, you're probably in drive mode 4 or you need to see your mechanic.
How aggressive are you on the throttle? I don't think mine is very happy to lift the front wheel, but I might not be so aggressive on the throttle..

·
Registered
'21 Yamaha MT-09
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Here's me getting the front wheel to rise up for the first time. Obviously nothing like the previous video, but the wheel does come up for a moment before I let off the throttle momentarily. You'll see the wheel come up around the 6 second mark as I hit about 30 mph (48 kph). I opened the throttle no more than 50-60% max the whole acceleration period. D-Mode 1, TCS-Mode 2, ~45F (7.2C) and overcast. This was my first long ride with some hard acceleration and there was no way I was going to test out the full functionality of the bike, not to mention the whole break in bit.

A little lift - YouTube

The GoPro desktop app exports the video with the sound blip in the beginning, still need to sort that out...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Here's me getting the front wheel to rise up for the first time. Obviously nothing like the previous video, but the wheel does come up for a moment before I let off the throttle momentarily. You'll see the wheel come up around the 6 second mark as I hit about 30 mph (48 kph). I opened the throttle no more than 50-60% max the whole acceleration period. D-Mode 1, TCS-Mode 2, ~45F (7.2C) and overcast. This was my first long ride with some hard acceleration and there was no way I was going to test out the full functionality of the bike, not to mention the whole break in bit.

A little lift - YouTube

The GoPro desktop app exports the video with the sound blip in the beginning, still need to sort that out...
Those small lifts mine do as well. The first video you sent - I'm not at that level at all! :D Very skilled rider.. I haven't pushed mine that hard at all.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'm pulling some footage from my gopro and will upload shortly, but here's a guy having no problem getting and keeping the front end up (that's what she said...): Yamaha MT 09 2021 - Pure sound pushed hard - YouTube
Some serious riding skills there from that guy.
Very close to those sharp rocks at the sides.
But where was the other traffic?
Had to have been a closed road?

·
Registered
'21 Yamaha MT-09
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That was at one of the European press days. Check out his other vids, really good stuff. Not your average motorcycle reviewer.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts