Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
61 - 68 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
2,476 Posts

He said if one of those lithium batteries catches on fire and burns your balls, you will be sorry...with you being from Louisiana, I thought you would have understood him perfectly

·
Super Moderator
5,834 Posts
Here is a link for a fairly short explanation of the difference between the Lithium-Ion batteries and the LiFePO (Lithium, Iron, Phosphate) batteries......

Lithium-Ion vs. Lithium-Iron Batteries | Ask the Geek | Sport Rider

The bottom line is that the LiFePO batteries are not nearly as dangerous or susceptible to overrun and heat induced fire/explosions.

On a side note, recently there have been news reports and videos of people that vape (I'm a vaper myself, as I quit smoking a little over two years ago) and the batteries exploding into a fire ball. Many times, it is because the person is carrying spare Lithium batteries in their pockets, totally unprotected. In other words, they drop a spare battery in their pocket, along with maybe some change and keys and whatever. If the battery terminals come into contact with the keys lets say, and directly short out the Pos. and Neg. terminals of the battery..........BOOM! They are perfectly safe to carry in a pocket if you have them in an enclosed plastic case that they make for just such purposes.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Found the original thread, good old search function.
I said I would update this thread when the LiFePO4 battery died, and it did just that this summer, so it lasted 6 1/2 years.

Last time I charged it was May 2022 and got a solid green light on the Lithium charger, Just tried sitting on it again after my knee replacement surgery and I can finally get my leg on the left peg comfortably, so I can ride again.

Tried charging and got the flashing orange light. Checked the voltage and it's 1.29V. No good. Has to be 8V before the charger will even turn on. There is also a bulge in the bottom of the case, so clearly it's toast, but it is cool to the touch. No fire.

I took out the Kinetik 12APPL from my Suzuki 1100g, made a few spacer adjustments and put in in the FZ and it works fine. The Suzuki is a bit heavy for me to ride right now, still trying to get leg strength back 9 months after the knee op, so that was handy.

Will be putting a battery tender (Deltran) BTL12A270CW in it soon. Hope it fits, it's quite a bit bigger than the one it's replacing. I'll do a video when it's in and running.

The serial number has a date code on it - 07M19 - does that mean it was made in July 2019???

·
Registered
172 Posts
Glad you're getting back riding, 9 months is a LONG time to be off! I know because I have recently gone down a similar road but unfortunately my last of 3 consecutive surgeries was a fail, so while I'm able to ride on a limited basis, I'll have to redo this winter.

I couldn't find which lifpo battery you had that died after 6,5 years?

Being in the Midwest and running heated grips, heated jacket liner and sometimes gloves or socks I've stayed with AGM for their greater reserve. I'd consider a lifpo for my VTR but am not convinced of the cost benefit of a lifpo over a Yuasa. The OEM sparking my CP3 is now 7+ years old and hopefully will get me through this season. A decent lifpo is even more than a Yuasa. On average I get 6~7 years out of my batteries. Maybe my ADD driven maintenance regimen is the reason I routinely get 100,000+ from my bikes...

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
Sorry about your surgeries, I seem to be having a few too. The knee replacement sucks. The joint is probably OK, but the muscles in the leg were totally messed up. It's like I have to grow new ones from scratch while the old junk is still in there.
Just had a retinal tear, which meant no driving anything, as I lost depth perception. A vitrectomy fixed that, but resulted in an additional cataract on the inside of the lens, so now I'm heading shortly for a new lens.

Anyway, the original LiFePO4 - which is a fire resistant form of lithium battery - was assembled by Battery Tender (Deltran). They replaced that model (shown in the video) with a version that has a battery maintenance system in it.

In the midwest, you have a different temperature environment. A cost benefit ($$/year) may not work out for you. Also, lithium batteries don't work well in the cold apparently. You may be better off with a lead acid.
For me in Phoenix, it still works out better to have the lithium 6 1/2 yrs vs 2 years(OEM)

Here's that video of the install. Not a slam dunk, but not difficult.

61 - 68 of 68 Posts