Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
41 - 60 of 68 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,834 Posts
Rich,

One of the characteristics of the LiFePO batteries is that when they are cold, they sometimes crank slowly. If you wait for a minute or so, after cranking, the second time they will crank normally. On bikes that you can turn a headlight on with the key switch (ours don't work that way), you can "load" the battery like that first, then crank the engine.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 · (Edited)
It was a nice cool 70F in the garage when I tried to start the bike. It was 90F yesterday. January was colder while it was sitting, but I wasn't using it, It was suzuki and triumph time. Have to keep the stable rotated and running.

Just sent the battery back to deltran, they are going to take a look at it. Ground to Florida and back. 4 working days each way min.

As for which battery is best? My experience has not been good so far with the deltran (Battery Tender). We will see what happens in a couple of weeks - I should have just got a cheap Pb-HCl battery from amazon.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Deltran checked the battery, said it was bad and sent me a new one. I did ask if they could "elaborate" on what bad meant, but no.
So the new one arrived, I charged it on the table next to my 'puter, so I could watch it. Stopped charging at 14.33V - just over an hour. Put it in the bike this morning and it does fire up nice and quickly.

Pictures of charging set-up and charging data - you do have to watch it, specially with an old charger like the one shown. The voltage rises fast when approaching the bike charging voltage (14.2-14.25V)
[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

I did change the foam spacer under the battery to that nice soft foam you find in hard drive/motherboard packages, just in case vibrations caused the first failure as it is a pain in the trump to send it back. Here's the video of it installed - the clattering noise you hear is almost typical of how the bike starts now - it goes away after a minute or 2, so I have no idea what is causing that.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
No, it's on the left side - the CCT was actually worse that this noise. The mod 3 version seems to be working (for now).
The odd thing is the noise consistently goes away, so either it is not firing properly during warm up or there is an air pocket that the water pump is trying to swallow or ?????.
The only noise left, once it's warmed up, is when I pull the clutch in and it rattles like crazy until I bonk it into gear, then it's quiet.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
No, it's on the left side - the CCT was actually worse that this noise. The mod 3 version seems to be working (for now).
The odd thing is the noise consistently goes away, so either it is not firing properly during warm up or there is an air pocket that the water pump is trying to swallow or ?????.
what oil filter are you using? when i used to run purolator oil filters, there was cold start clatter exactly as in the video. never had that issue with the oem oil filter or the fram xg's i use now.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
what oil filter are you using? when i used to run purolator oil filters, there was cold start clatter exactly as in the video. never had that issue with the oem oil filter or the fram xg's i use now.
Yes I am running Purolator filters - so you think it is the bypass valve clattering? I'll have to put my hand on the filter next time I start it.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Yes I am running Purolator filters - so you think it is the bypass valve clattering? I'll have to put my hand on the filter next time I start it.
I dont think that what he means at all. I think he is suggesting that you have no oil pressure at start up and that the engine is clattering but the noise will certainly not be coming from the filter itself.

Reactions: RichBaker

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
i'm not certain. it might be that the anti-drainback valve doesn't work too well and results in the oil passages draining out some. ideally, the valve should prevent any oil from draining out of the filter so the oil passages which are normally filled with oil during engine operation will stay filled after shut off.

i ran the purolators for about 5k miles early in the bike's life, and during my valve adjustment saw no evidence of oil starvation at the top end, but the cold startup clatter was disconcerting.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
41 - 60 of 68 Posts