Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

Let's talk Intercoms....

4K views 27 replies 10 participants last post by  EdVR 
#1 ·
So, I've got an older model Autocom hard wired intercom system on my ST1300 and it has been very good for the last 4 or 5 years and I have absolutely ZERO complaints with it. However, it is wired into the ST1300 and is not easily movable to my other bike, the FZ09. So, I've been doing some reading and a bit of inquiring about maybe going with a Sena 20S system for ease of use and "portability between other bikes. So, a couple of weeks ago, I sprung for the boxed set of two of the 20S Sena intercoms and have got them installed on my helmet and my wife's helmet for when we are riding the FZ09 and the FZ07. Unfortunately, the weather has not been cooperating and I've yet to try them out on a ride, but I'm seriously considering buying another set of the mounting bases and installing them on the two helmets that we use on the ST1300. The bases stay with the helmet and you just release the 20S unit from the base and slip it on the other helmet, so transferring them is a 30 second task.

The 20S units have a ton of capabilities, from just a simple intercom system for a rider to passenger to a bike to bike intercom with an approx. 2km range. Add in the fact that it can be paired with other Sena units (doesn't have to be the 20S model) as well as other brands of Bluetooth intercoms, play music from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3, pair with a separate GPS (as long as it's got B.T. capability) or use my google maps or mapquest GPS functions, it become a very versatile item for communications and navigation. I'm pretty impress with the sound quality through the speakers that came with it, and there seems to more than enough volume to be able to use it pretty easily even with ear protection, which I wear every time I'm riding. It also has the ability to receive and place phone calls through the connected smartphone and is able to use voice commands for dialing (based on your phone contact list). There is also a 3 place speed dial function. FM radio is included with the package and you have the ability to program in 10 different presets if you are into FM radio instead of music stored on an MP3 player or your phone. I'm pretty anxious to take them for a test ride and see how well it performs under riding condition vs. talking on it at the house without any road/wind/exhaust noise.

Anyone else on here using the 20S and how do you like it? Problems/issues? Things that I need to know?

See less See more
#2 ·
Seems like a Great system. If you want to ship the two wired helmets to me Id be happy to test out all of these options and report back to you. It's supposed to be in the 70's tomorrow and clear sky for mikes -- too bad you didn't post this earlier in the week. :(

#3 ·
Vern, I almost went with an Autocomm years ago, but just couldn't bring myself to it. We have the Sena SMH10 units for about three years. We also use custom earmold music moniters. I have spare bases for other helmets, too. Snap and go. I love the units. If I am out of range with my wife, I just use the speed dial function to get her on the phone to either warn or check on her if we loose touch.

I talked a friend into the 20S model, and three way was a breeze. I just had to re-pair my wife's last to have her on the top of the cue (single press) . I have three riding buddies that bought the Scala because they were stoned when I told them to get the Sena, and low and behold they showed up with the wrong units. I did pair with one but it was a complete pain and screwed with my connection with my wife.

I have been using MP3 with my monitors since the first release of the iPod and cannot imagine riding without music when I want to. I now use a iPod shuffle with Bluetooth to save my phone battery. The iPod will last 10 hours non-stop. Pairing two separate profiles is a bit tricky.

I once said that I would never f@&k up a good ride by talking with my spouce, but I loving sharing moments on the road with her.

#4 ·
I tried one of these Sena 20's with another rider while riding off-road last summer. Bike to Bike, you might get 2 km with clear LOS but it's more like 0.5km where we were riding so it must be LOS limited and trees/curves/mountains will drastically reduce the range. While in range, the voice comm was very clear and the batteries were amazing... all day on a single charge. THere was very little wind noise via the microphones. They seem to be fairly rugged and not affected by dust or getting bounced around on a rough road. Looking back on it, after only one ride, I might buy a set but I really wonder if I want to talk to anyone that much or that often and it is a distraction, especially off-road when trying to navigate technical terrain takes all my attention and more. When you come to a turn or want to stop for gas, it's nice to be able to coordinate though, other wise, you have to stop... Kinda pricey though to avoid a stop or to talk on a cell phone... You could send a letter after you get home, LOL.

Reactions: Steve101
#7 ·
I considering using them with Peggy while on the track coaching also, provided our STT Director will OK it. I can think of a couple of times this past season that an intercom would have come in handy while on the track.

#6 ·
Doug, the 20S units are so easy to pair with other units (according to the paperwork anyway) that it seems to be pretty simple. The Sena website also has a free download app for both Iphone and Android that you can use to manage your groups and to do the tedious stuff like setting the system parameters and doing your FM radio presets. You can move a paired headset up and down the order, add in other headsets (both 20S and the SMH10s), all from your smartphone without the need to USB it to your desktop.

#8 ·
My 10's have the latest version of the software that yours has. The pairing with the Scalas didn't work as described. I had to press the jog dial last to pair them. Due to the type of Bluetooth connection, when another Scala joined in, my connections were all dropped.

#10 ·
Haha. Once in awhile I get the same random "say a command," but it's usually in the bedroom.:cool:

#15 ·
Looking to pull the trigger on the 20s, as I have a riding buddy on holiday in the USA at present so he is looking to bring back a double pack if he can find them.

Fingers crossed for a late Xmas present.

#17 ·
Honestly, if you don't want to wait that long, and are curious, you can put your helmet on with the Sena attached and try it out in the comfort of your living room. One of the valuable tools that you can use is the Android or Iphone app. (free download from Sena's website). Once the phone is paired with your headset, you can access the configuration page of the Sena app and change the sensitivity setting very easily. Pretty simple stuff that even I can understand.

#19 ·
As I understand the manual, if you are playing stereo music through the headset and you have an intercom partner paired with you, an intercom conversation will override the music until you stop the conversation. Here is the list of function priority.....from highest to lowest

Ambient mode
Mobile phone
voice command mode
intercom
stereo music via audio cable
music sharing by bluetooth stereo music
FM radio
bluetooth stereo music

A lower priority function is always interrupted by a higher priority function. For example: stereo music is interrupted by an intercom call...and intercom conversation is interrupted by incoming mobile phone calls.....based on the chart above.

#20 ·
Ah. So I think it's the same as the smh10r.

I love mine but the Bluetooth protocol could be better.

That function doesn't work that well. If your partner coughs or it picks up the slightest sound it cuts over and ends up being more annoying than it's worth.

#21 ·
I'm not sure about the SMH10, but the 20S has a 1-10 adjustability for sensitivity to help eliminate that issue. As I stated in my original post, I have not ridden with the Sena yet, just tested some of the functions while wife and I were wearing the helmets around the house. I realize that road noise, wind noise, exhaust, and so on will probably affect it to some degree.....hopefully not much though as we both wear full coverage helmets and hers has the chin curtain installed also.

#22 ·
Ah. I don't believe there is an adjustment for mine.

The app and ease of that for the 20s sounds great. The smh10r is not user friendly but if you can get it to do what you want - it's a great tool for riding with a partner

#23 ·
Yea, when I was getting ready to download the Sena software from the Google Play Store, I was reading some of the reviews about it. Several of the folks that had downloaded it was bashing it because they couldn't get it to work with their SMH10s. Well DUH! It says right on the page that it is an App for the Sena 20S...........some people!

Reactions: onthemove
#24 · (Edited)
I bought the pair, one for my helmet the other for the woman's. We ride 2 up (I hate it). I play the music from my phone to my headset, then stream the music from mine to hers. It works amazingly. We can talk as well. We can talk fine until speeds above 50mph, but I think that's a shitty helmet problem. I upgraded my helmet but can't test it out until spring time. All in all it functions well. Music works well, communication works well, phone calls/commands work well.

I never had one before (always used headphones). I used it for a good month or 2 before the crap weather came, and that alone sold me for life. Another good thing to note is battery life. I only have to charge mine once a week. That's mostly just playing music, with a few hours of communicationing (I made up that word).

#25 ·
onthemove wrote:
a few hours of communicationing (I made up that word).
So, if you had an ex-wife and were talking to her, would that be .........ready for it?.............................

Excommunicating!!! :cool:

Reactions: onthemove
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.