Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a bigger guy, 6'1" 215 pounds. Pretty long legs which puts a lot of weight on my foot pegs. I'm no moto gp rider, so I'm looking for a touring type peg, maybe even with rubberized material involved. What are my options?

Also along the lines of being a bigger fellow, I absolutely cannot decide on a seat. I'm probably steering clear of the corbin because a lot of folks seemed to be uncomfortable on it. I'm a 34x34 waist and am very uncomfortable with the forward angle of the seat, the firmness, and the narrowness. I've searched and searched but I'd like to talk to someone who is my build and is comfortable on an aftermarket seat.

As usual, thanks all! For those who aren't following, I'm prepping my bike to ride across the country

·
Registered
987 Posts
Maybe you should try a bar with some more rise to put you more upright.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
I'm about 3 inches taller than you. I did the grout sponge mod to flatten the seat and raise it a bit. This took some weight off and bend out of my legs. I like it.
Some renthal RC high bars to sit me up a bit straighter and get my arms is a more natural position.

If you are comfortable with the angle of the seat, the firmness and the narrowness, aftermarket wont help much. But if you get rubber topped footpegs, that will make less room for your legs, so will make the seat worse.
Not sure what the goal is.
If it's more room, i'd do what i did, and then maybe get the MT09 street rally pegs.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I have a Yamaha comfort seat which is 100 times better than stock but would like to try something a little higher. I did however, buy some Knight Designs footpegs that are a 1" lower. Made a big difference for me.
KD Yamaha FZ-09 1in Front Foot Pegs
I think you're the first person to say the "comfort seat" is that much better... most folks have said it wasn't worth the price... :confused:

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
No, I didn't mis read, but i am a bit confused.
You said you liked the seat as is, but want to know what is better. If you like it, why the change? What's the goal?
Well bugger me, i cant read after all. Dont read and post on your phone, eh?

The mod to the OEM seat is really easy, i've done it twice since I'm on my second MT09.
Remove seat, unstaple cover, add a bit of foam under the OEM foam, pull the cover back over and restaple. And it costs next to nothing. I got an offcut of foam from a local car upholstery place, and paid $20 for a stapler.
If you dont like it, then buy a fancy pants one. Nothing to lose but an hour of time.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I did all of the above. I am 230# 6'.05" 34/34 and have Pro Taper bars, a Corbin seat and also interested in footpeg options.

I haven't heard people say they were uncomfortable on the Corbin... I am 1.5 hours from the factory so I had a custom one made. In their original form they are pretty damn good, I had them cut the seat portion a little bit bigger and lower for my fat ass to fit into, and I did think that it sloped into the tank just a bit until they cut it down for me. After the tweaking I had them do, I honestly cannot imagine a better seat.

imo, it takes all of the above, good seat, different bars and possibly pegs. The biggest thing I noticed, is that fixing the front suspension stopped 60% of my forward-sliding problems.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I picked up these from a dealer on a website YamaBits.co.uk adventure foot pegs
after powder coating them.

·
Registered
511 Posts
The only thing I noticed was my position of my right foot on the rear brake is down more because the peg is higher up than the stock when you add the rubber piece on.But your foot is way more comfortable on these pegs with the rubber plus they're wider. I put the stock peg feelers on these because the ones that come with these pegs are alot longer.

·
Registered
202 Posts
6'3 here, looking to make the ride a little more comfortable with a raised seat and lower pegs. I may try what keef mentioned about putting extra foam under the seat padding, do it raise the ride height by a noticeable amount? Also, those pegs that are lower by an inch, do they make that big of a difference? An inch doesn't seem like a lot to me

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
I had my stock seat "built up" by an auto upholstery shop. I needed some relief for my hips and knees.
View attachment 15891
+1 I went the same route. The customer service of the guy I went to was horrendous but the end product was worth the headache. I sent them pictures of my wife and myself on the bike and they custom built each section to better fit the ergos (I also splurged and got gel inserts added) - he built up the front end to reduce the slope and put a lip on the back to prevent me sliding back too far - all for under $350.

Not sure where you live but a Google search of an auto upholstery shop may net you some good returns.

Reactions: rtsb

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I picked up these from a dealer on a website YamaBits.co.uk adventure foot pegs

^This.
The SHAD seat adds a few MMs and takes out the slope. But you may need extended footpegs for a more substantial gain in leg room. Great difference- I got extended/adjustable passenger footpegs and wife is a much happier passenger!
Perhaps, try the ATV seat pad to add some height and comfort- mcmann was using that:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts