Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I mean why not? Only requirement the MT09 doesn't meet is being a twin cylinder. Just change one rule. It would be competitive and would be cool seeing it up against 890 Duke R and the Indians and open it up for Triumph triples as well. Think it would fit in well in the series. Does the MT09 fit in any current race class?

·
Registered
34 Posts
I mean why not? Only requirement the MT09 doesn't meet is being a twin cylinder. Just change one rule. It would be competitive and would be cool seeing it up against 890 Duke R and the Indians and open it up for Triumph triples as well. Think it would fit in well in the series. Does the MT09 fit in any current race class?
This would never happen because the MT09 would dominate. I think the idea was to give other manufacturers a chance to win. I’m waiting for the Yamaha Star to dominate the Buggers, I mean Baggers race.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not sure about the performance of the other bikes but an MT09 wouldn't dominate an 890 Duke R on the track. The performance would be close though. From what I've seen they have it relatively balanced and I don't see how the 09 would have any unfair advantage. The rules have minimum weight of 420lbs and max factory claimed hp of less than 125hp. Electric bikes are even allowed.

Funny how we're racing baggers but there's nothing for our bikes.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I agree that the FZ09 should be allowed in the hooligan class. In fact, that is partially why I'm buying an FZ09. My buddy just bought the new 890R and its an absolute weapon that handles better then the FZ. The yammie would have its hands full against the FTR, Duke, and Harley builds. The speed triple would be over HP per the rulebook but it would open up the streetie. If the FZ was allowed it would help fill the grids because this bike is so cheap. The KTM, Indian, and BMW's are not cheap bikes to begin with let alone race trim. The times they were running at Rd Atlanta this year were incredible! 1.33's which is faster then most supersport racers.

Let's start a petition to get this bike on track at Laguna this year! Could be wishful thinking...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts