Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who of you have removed the left hand rear set?

I tried and just got lost to remove the left hand(shifter) rear set. It seems impossible to remove with standard tools.

So my question is how do you remove it?

Thanks
Zach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
I haven't had reason to mess with it yet but it's one of the 09 design issues I'm not happy about. Both ends of the swing arm pivot bolt are part of holding on the peg brackets, the right you can just take the nut off, but to get the left off you have to take the swingarm off. Or I guess you can carefully support the rear of the bike, and pull the SA pivot out, etc. If that works report back to us. If it doesn't work, I didn't tell you to do it. ;)

Edit:
Like support the tail from above, the weight of the wheel is on the ground, the shock should feel loose, neither weight or pull on it, you might even disconnect the shock at one end. Then pull the pivot bolt. Might want to slacken the chain first too. How bad to you want that rearset off?

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Just to clarify, the "rear set" generally refers to the entire footpeg assembly, including foot guards/footpegs/pedals/levers, etc.

To remove the rear sets, the swingarm slide pin must be removed.

If you're just trying to remove/replace the footpeg, the left footpeg pivot pin is peened and it must be drilled out/ground down to get the pin out.

It will not be reusable afterwards, so have a replacement on hand before doing so.

Stoltec sells replacement pins.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just to clarify, the "rear set" generally refers to the entire footpeg assembly, including foot guards/footpegs/pedals/levers, etc.

To remove the rear sets, the swingarm slide pin must be removed.

If you're just trying to remove/replace the footpeg, the left footpeg pivot pin is peened and it must be drilled out/ground down to get the pin out.

It will not be reusable afterwards, so have a replacement on hand before doing so.

Stoltec sells replacement pins.
The whole thing, i have his replacement already.

I'm trying to remove it to plasti dip it. I guess i will have to spray it on the bike. Luckily i'm rather skilled with a rattle can and tape. I'm not messing with that stuff unless its necessary and for just a paint job i can probably do just as good without removing it...hopefully.

Reactions: v2Bob

·
Super Moderator
5,751 Posts
I'm glad I don't need or want aftermarket rearsets on this bike. Some engineer at Yamaha should have his tiny little ass whooped over that design. I'll be he's still laughing!

"See, I told you guys that I could design something that will make them have to take the bike back to the dealer for some service!"

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm glad I don't need or want aftermarket rearsets on this bike. Some engineer at Yamaha should have his tiny little ass whooped over that design. I'll be he's still laughing!

"See, I told you guys that I could design something that will make them have to take the bike back to the dealer for some service!"
They lost the big war, but the Japanese still win their little battles.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts