Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been thinking about those scoops and always want to put some lights in them. So today, I decided to keep the stock signals and not put signals in there.
I also decided that I want people to see me coming better than they do now.

Here is a quick overview. Bought a $4 sheet of plexi glass. Went to Autozone and picked up package marked as LED truck bed lights. 24.99 for 8 lights (2 sets of 4 wired together). I traced a scoop screen on the plexi glass and cut out 2 with a half round power saw. I finished shaping it on a bench grinder. I choose not to drill the 2 holes like the screens have, but still may do it. Used clear silicone sealant to hold the clear lenses to the scoop. I could have used just 1 block of 4 in each side but I chose 2 (8 total bulbs each side). They are quite bright. The lights are held on the plastic behind the screens with special double sided trim tape. I ground some of the top plastic off the light so the angle was more downward. I may have to make the more downward once I check how they presently work. The wires run across bike under the front tank cover held in place with 4 plastic push pins. I wired into the aux plug under the right scoop.

I just added the last picture so you all could see them in the bright morning sun . They are visible but the brightness is not there like in the garage last night. I will get some riding buddies to chime in how well they show up at different distances during the day. Night is great but daytime was my target. Might have missed.

ledb4 s.jpg ledL s.jpg ledon s.jpg

ledday s.jpg

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
This is cool, I'm planning on doing something like this with the scoops on mine. Can you show us how you wired up to the aux power?

Reactions: billnoroville

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is cool, I'm planning on doing something like this with the scoops on mine. Can you show us how you wired up to the aux power?
too late to show pictures I did not take, so I will try to explain. I fished out the connector in the right scoop as it is hidden under some other wires. It has a gray cap (fake plug with no wires) covering it. I removed the cap to get at the connector sockets. I ground down two spade connectors to small spades that could be inserted into the sockets of the plug. I crimped wires to them. They fit tight but taped them in for insurance. I used standard butt connectors where needed for the rest of the wires. I secured the wires with duct tape in spots within the scoops so they won't vibrate around inside. I may revisit this and use some black silicone in spots instead of the tape.

Reactions: gunner9315

·
Registered
112 Posts
Makes me wonder if there are any driving lights that could be modded to fit inside those scoops. Guess I'll be doing some research today. BTW, I like the brick floor in your garage.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Are those air scoops completely fake? It seems like the fact that they used mesh, the scoops have some function of drawing air through the bike. Am I completely wrong?

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Makes me wonder if there are any driving lights that could be modded to fit inside those scoops. Guess I'll be doing some research today. BTW, I like the brick floor in your garage.
BTW, my old garage floor had some unsightly cracks so I painted on the brick flooring to make the cracks less noticeable. Much cheaper than real bricks...lol

Reactions: tinygiant and Niner

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Are those air scoops completely fake? It seems like the fact that they used mesh, the scoops have some function of drawing air through the bike. Am I completely wrong?
there is air getting into the scoops but I believe it serves no useful purpose and besides there are gaps in the plastic on the inside that will let plenty of air into the scoop from the back side. IMHO

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
the scoops and mesh are purely cosmetic, but they do help conceal some wiring (fuse box in the right, air temp sensor in the left). no air is routed anywhere. the airbox gets its air from the front of the tank.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I came into this thread with the intentions of disapproving of this... But it's actually pretty sweet!
Good job!
Niner, I am so glad to hear you changed your mind about disapproving my post (as if I give a crap...lol).

IMHO, We all tend to do our own thing with our motorcycles because we can and want to. It's a shame some have to jump on folks for doing it which only reduces the willingness to share on such forums. Fun is what it's all about.

Reactions: Niner

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
nice. i was thinking about putting a set of these into the scoops, but need to check fitment.

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/product_info.php?products_id=31620
I checked your link. These are much brighter than what I used. The main problem that I see , will be to aim them straight ahead or down slightly as the air scoops face upward which would put them in peoples eyes more when stopped at a light. Mounting to the inner scoop ledge to get the right aim will be work. I did not modify or cut any original plastic in my setup (I did drill 1 small hole on the ledge) and the lights are aimed up a little but may be ok since they are not as bright as these.
Good luck and success fabricating your thoughts.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I came into this thread with the intentions of disapproving of this... But it's actually pretty sweet!
Good job!
It was my intention too lol I just don't actually say anything negative, I keep it to myself. But it looks good and should help to keep you visible. Although nobody will have any idea what you are...

·
Vendor
2,394 Posts
It was my intention too lol I just don't actually say anything negative, I keep it to myself. Bit it looks good and should help to keep you visible. Although nobody will have any idea what you are...
LOL. What I said came out dickish, huh?
I wasn't literally going to come in here and bash.
I was merely going to click the thread, look at it, shake my head in disgust, and move on.
Instead I clicked, looked it over, and nodded in approval as I wrote that (misunderstood?) post.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
LOL. What I said came out dickish, huh?
I wasn't literally going to come in here and bash.
I was merely going to click the thread, look at it, shake my head in disgust, and move on.
Instead I clicked, looked it over, and nodded in approval as I wrote that (misunderstood?) post.

I was kidding about the way your post started. No offense was taken and my reply was not meant to chastise you in any way. I was trying to be funny so maybe misunderstanding is easy these days.

thanks

Reactions: Lee Drew

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I was kidding about the way your post started. No offense was taken and my reply was not meant to chastise you in any way. I was trying to be funny so maybe misunderstanding is easy these days.

thanks
What is wrong with you people!? Mass confusion! Well the good news is nobody intended any comments to be rude! That's my kind of misunderstanding to clear up.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am lazy with photos and posting but I do have lights in my air scoop as well. I have two bright amber smd strips in each "vent" and they are wired to function as running lights and turn signals. It's a good mod for increased visibility and it just looks cool. I'm currently trying to find an acrylic piece to put in each of the vents for a more finished look but I have no idea where to look for or how to fabricate such a piece.

Reactions: billnoroville
1 - 20 of 26 Posts