Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A guy I work with just installed a 6000 lumen LED array on the front of his Honda Ruckus and damn its bright. I'd like to have 6k to 8k lumen LED's installed inside my existing light housing.

I know there are companies that will retrofit the halogen headlight with an HID solution, but does anyone know if there are any LED retrofits options? Would be nice not to deal with ballasts and less heat also.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I believe the tech isn't cheap enough yet for a big market in retrofitting. I'd say a few more years. Best to either get a retrofit for an hid or an led replacement bulb like the one tripage sells. Also leds will use ballasts just like hids though they will be a bit smaller

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy 5 S using Tapatalk

·
Registered
355 Posts
ADVmonster has a plug & play H4 replacement. "Only" 3000 lumens on high beam, but it's a start!

I'm using the previous version of it (slightly less lumens) and I can report that it annoys people who ride in front of me. Job done! :p

·
Super Moderator
5,751 Posts
A guy I work with just installed a 6000 lumen LED array on the front of his Honda Ruckus and damn its bright. I'd like to have 6k to 8k lumen LED's installed inside my existing light housing.

I know there are companies that will retrofit the halogen headlight with an HID solution, but does anyone know if there are any LED retrofits options? Would be nice not to deal with ballasts and less heat also.
Are you confusing Lumens and Kelvin numbers...or color temperature. 6000 lumens would be pretty incredible!

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are you confusing Lumens and Kelvin numbers...or color temperature. 6000 lumens would be pretty incredible!
No I understand the Kelvin scale very well. My friend from work actually has a total of 6000 lumens from an 8 LED array.

·
Registered
654 Posts
im sure it costs more but doesn't the 2015 fz09 have an led headlight? assuming that is correct wouldn't it be a bolt in replacement on a 2014 for anyone not wanting to go the hid route?

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
im sure it costs more but doesn't the 2015 fz09 have an led headlight? assuming that is correct wouldn't it be a bolt in replacement on a 2014 for anyone not wanting to go the hid route?
I have no idea as my bike is a 2014, but if it's true that would be a good option for sure.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
...doesn't the 2015 fz09 have an led headlight?
No, it's a standard 55/60 halogen bulb just like the '14. There are plenty of aftermarket LED bulbs out there that are plug and play.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
you might be thinking of the fj-09 which does have an led headlight. however, on the fj it's fairing mounted, meaning it's not bolted to the forks and thus won't turn with the bars.

still, it wouldn't be impossible to get the fj headlight to work on the fz - just requires some creative bracket fabrication and wiring trickery.

the fj headlight's not even that expensive, about $450. which is cheaper than some oem halogen headlight assemblies, and much cheaper than pretty much any other oem led headlight.

·
Registered
200 Posts
you might be thinking of the fj-09 which does have an led headlight. however, on the fj it's fairing mounted, meaning it's not bolted to the forks and thus won't turn with the bars.

still, it wouldn't be impossible to get the fj headlight to work on the fz - just requires some creative bracket fabrication and wiring trickery.

the fj headlight's not even that expensive, about $450. which is cheaper than some oem halogen headlight assemblies, and much cheaper than pretty much any other oem led headlight.
Yea, been tossing the idea of trying to fit it on the fz. I haven't gotten a chance to even look at an fj in person yet, though.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy 5 S using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts