Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have some cheapo LED blinkers off ebay on the front and the rear. They both work without changing the flasher relay to an "LED" relay. Is changing the relay a requirement? What happens if you dont use an LED relay? I have been going for about 5 months now.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
i'm assuming the lights are blinking much faster than the stock bulbs did - my understanding of a relay is to slow down the rate of blinking back to normal operating levels.

most flasher relays are something like $30 or $40 and are almost all plug and play - for me - it was one of those "why the hell not" purchases.

·
Registered
95 Posts
This would do the trick. There are other, less expensive options out there but I can personally vouch for this one.

Motorcycle Trick Flasher Relay

So I have some cheapo LED blinkers off ebay on the front and the rear. They both work without changing the flasher relay to an "LED" relay. Is changing the relay a requirement? What happens if you dont use an LED relay? I have been going for about 5 months now.

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
What happens without an LED relay is you get a very fast blink rate, unless you have wired up some "load" resistors with the LED's. If the blink rate is the same as it was before changing to LED, then:

1. They are not truly LED blinkers...OR
2. There is already an LED flasher in place...OR
3. There are load resistors in the circuit.

Beck wrote:
2. handle the voltage pass through which is different from standard halogen bulbs.
There is no difference in voltage. An LED flasher unit slows down the flash rate of the LEDs (which do not draw nearly as much current as a standard turn signal bulb(s), by using electronics that are built into the flasher unit to control the flash rate based on time....not amount of current draw.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Beck wrote:

There is no difference in voltage. An LED flasher unit slows down the flash rate of the LEDs (which do not draw nearly as much current as a standard turn signal bulb(s), by using electronics that are built into the flasher unit to control the flash rate based on time....not amount of current draw.
I thought i might have misunderstood that when it was told to me - so thanks for clarifying triplethreat. It's more about load resistance than voltage - duh.

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
I thought i might have misunderstood that when it was told to me - so thanks for clarifying triplethreat. It's more about load resistance than voltage - duh.
Exactly! The load resistance determines the amount of current flow given a certain voltage (in this case, 12.7 or so volts.) The OEM flasher unit is designed to open and close at a certain rate (time), based on a certain amount of current flow through the bi-metal strip inside the flasher unit.

Reactions: beck

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What happens without an LED relay is you get a very fast blink rate, unless you have wired up some "load" resistors with the LED's. If the blink rate is the same as it was before changing to LED, then:

1. They are not truly LED blinkers...OR
2. There is already an LED flasher in place...OR
3. There are load resistors in the circuit.

Beck wrote:

Not sure what the deal is or how to explain it but mine flash at regular speed. If they are not "truely LED" idk what they are because they are not bulbs.

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
Did you install them yourself, or did a shop install them?

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
The only other thing that I can possibly think of is that the blinkers have load resistors built into them already.....and I seriously doubt that possibility. Not only have I never seen that, they would heat up way too much. So, the only other conclusion I can come to is that they are not really L.E.D.s, especially if they were cheaply priced....just something made to look like LEDs.

Do you have a link to the eBay product that you bought?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok so after watching the video i posted and other videos on youtube i see it is much faster. Not sure its worth buying the relay if it doenst actually do anything other than slowing the flash down. I admit defeat ;)

At about the 1:48 mark you can see a side by side of the slow vs the fast flash.

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
No need to look at the links for the blinkers.....they are flashing much faster than the normal rate. The electronic relay would definitely slow them down to normal and they take all of about two minutes to install.

Reactions: beck

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
just in case you are unsure where the blinker relay is - i took this pic for another reason but I circled where the flasher relay is

IMG_0079.jpg

1 - 15 of 15 Posts