Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have had the TST flush mount turn signals for some time now. I just finished installing the TST integrated tail and Fender Eliminator with the resistor which I am very pleased with.

Regwrding question, I recall when installing the flush mount signals the three wires saying when you use an LED tail to use the other wire you would then lose running lights but maintain turn signal.
I was going to purchase the Tripage 3-2 jumper harness, but before switching my front signal wiring around I tested my signals and I am maintaining both running lights and turn signals.

Knowing that the LED draws more power, finally to my question. Is there any harm in leaving my wiring situation as it is in its current state, or should I switch the order until I get the tripage harness.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
So you're saying you have 2 wore signals for the front, and the running lights and turn signals work? Pics.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the TST flush mount LED front signals and LED tail. Maintaining both running lights and signals up front. If you watch their install video for front mount they say if you have LED tail you must use a different configuration of the 2 out of 3 wires. I finally installed LED tail and without switching front wires everything works fine

·
Registered
509 Posts
So I have had the TST flush mount turn signals for some time now. I just finished installing the TST integrated tail and Fender Eliminator with the resistor which I am very pleased with.

Regwrding question, I recall when installing the flush mount signals the three wires saying when you use an LED tail to use the other wire you would then lose running lights but maintain turn signal.
I was going to purchase the Tripage 3-2 jumper harness, but before switching my front signal wiring around I tested my signals and I am maintaining both running lights and turn signals.

Knowing that the LED draws more power, finally to my question. Is there any harm in leaving my wiring situation as it is in its current state, or should I switch the order until I get the tripage harness.

LED draws less power, not more. As far as your current setup, I don't even know how that would be possible. The three wires from the bikes signal harness are a negative lead, a continuous positive lead, and a switched positive lead.

The continuous positive is for running lights and the positive switched is for the turn signals. The latter doesn't complete the circuit until you flip the turn signal switch. So, assuming you have the positive on your new signals only wired to one of these two leads, if you have running lights, you shouldn't have turn signals. If you have signals, you shouldn't have running lights. If you wired your signals to both leads from the bike harness, I would think you'd just have running lights since you'd have continuous power.

Picture would definitely help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All I did was follow install vid directions for LED flush mount with stock TTAIL light.. after installed the LED tail I was going to switch the front signal wiring accordingly as the video suggests. But as I was testing integrated signaling in the back I noticed the front was working and serving both purposes

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes same video and I understand they will still work but be dim.. but mine are not by any means dim whatsoever. Could this be from having the most up to date flasher relay

·
Registered
509 Posts
Interesting. As gsatterw said, there shouldn't be any issues. This is apparently how they made them to function. I'd like to see exactly how they did it. They must of done some sort of loop or something with that extra wire harness in the middle.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Interesting. As gsatterw said, there shouldn't be any issues. This is apparently how they made them to function. I'd like to see exactly how they did it. They must of done some sort of loop or something with that extra wire harness in the middle.

Nope, that wiring harness in the middle is just a straight wire with bullet plugs to accommodate the connectors on the turn signals. I guess there could be the switching electronics in the turn signals?

edit: the listing for them says explicitly that they don't have a running light function.

·
Registered
509 Posts
The listing for them says explicitly that they don't have a running light function.
Strange considering the video shows them functioning that way. Made it seem like you have the option of running lights only using one of the leads in the mid-harness or running lights/signals combo using the other.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Strange considering the video shows them functioning that way. Made it seem like you have the option of running lights only using one of the leads in the mid-harness or running lights/signals combo using the other.

I believe you are correct, sir. Out in the sunlight right now the signal seems a tad dul but in a very well lit garage they are still as bright as ever. I emailed TST about this before I will repost the response as soon as I find it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It doesn't quite make sense in what he says th ere I believe he meant were not intended as turn signals.

·
Registered
890 Posts
I have the solution for you:

12oClockLabs Turn Signal Running Light Adapter

I have this installed on my bike with TST POD turn signals from and rear (I also have the Flush Mount turn signals, but instead installed 2 sets of the POD signals).
I also have the TST tail and relay.
I installed the 12oClockLabs unit on the front without issue and I have full function (DRL & signals) and full brightness.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I think the tripage harness is cheaper wondering how the 2 compare

·
Registered
890 Posts
I think the tripage harness is cheaper wondering how the 2 compare
The Tripage unit is less expensive, but I can't confirm how it compares since I have the 12oClockLabs unit.
I will say that Tripage produces quality products and I have their Gold LED headlight bulb and LED accent bulbs and they are worth every penny!!! (not that they were expensive, just saying they're great products)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts