Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't think I want to undertake a retrofit for the 09, so I am looking at something like this H4 LED Kit. Can't seem to find any heat output numbers of the H4 halogen for comparison, but it states it runs at less than 75C. Anyone know how that compares to halogen heat-wise?

·
Registered
349 Posts
I am with you -- I think my Headlight lens is like a Fresnel Lens - It gets soo hot, I could have a bbq party on it.

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
Trust me, the LED is going to run cooler than the Halogen. How much? I don't know, but I've had my LED bulb in for several months now and there are no issues.

Reactions: Horsman

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Trust me, the LED is going to run cooler than the Halogen. How much? I don't know, but I've had my LED bulb in for several months now and there are no issues.
Thanks, good feedback there. Going to order a kit. Just rode my bike for the first time at night recently and was very disappointed with the light coverage. I have been looking at my options. I just don't think I want to crack open another headlight as it feels like I just finished retrofitting my wrx.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
416 Posts
Thanks, good feedback there. Going to order a kit. Just rode my bike for the first time at night recently and was very disappointed with the light coverage. I have been looking at my options. I just don't think I want to crack open another headlight as it feels like I just finished retrofitting my wrx.

Pic of WRX? :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
The Cree H4 is the one I installed. Great vision at night and feels ambient temperature when on for a while.
It is a must MOD!

·
Registered
416 Posts

I used '05 Acura TSX projectors for the job. It was tedious work, but it came out great in the end.

I will post pics of the FZ lighting once I receive the LED kit.
Sick car! I use to have a 2004 WRX > 2005 STi (500whp) then moved onto a 2006 WRX Wagon. I sold the wagon about 5 years ago but might swoop up a 15 STi ;)

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
So, how did we go from LED headlight kits for the FZ09 to projectors, HIDs, and WRXs?:confused:

·
Registered
298 Posts
So, how did we go from LED headlight kits for the FZ09 to projectors, HIDs, and WRXs?:confused:
Here is how:

Pic of WRX? :)
I just don't think I want to crack open another headlight as it feels like I just finished retrofitting my wrx.
That's what we are here for!
Natural progression.

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
Ahh, silly me...:sad5:

·
Registered
93 Posts
How is the beam cut off for these LED headlight kits? I don't want to be that ******* that binds on coming traffic.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
How is the beam cut off for these LED headlight kits? I don't want to be that ******* that binds on coming traffic.
It looks like they are designed for reflector housings so shouldn't be an issue

Do you have a link to the one you got?
I'd like to know this as well. Stateside vendor would be nice.

Chad, I am still considering sending you the headlight. Very reasonable pricing. Especially given what people will charge to do a car.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Chad, I am still considering sending you the headlight. Very reasonable pricing. Especially given what people will charge to do a car.
Yes, we offer competitive pricing, and generally are a few hundred under what other shops charge. Just let us know if there is anything that we can do to help, and we will do what we can.

·
Registered
27 Posts
H4 LED Bulb replacement

I've put 200 miles in about 2 days stopping every 40 minutes or so to take gloves off and check temperature of heatsink by sticking fingers up behind the bulb area. Barely warm. Vendor claims new efficient CREE LED's don't require a fan and offers a 1 year warranty

H4 LED Headlight - ADVmonster
H4_headlight2__46926.1400089337.1280.1280.jpg

Very promising so far and no mods to housing required. Have purchased flood/spots for my VFR about 3 years ago from this guy and they still work great. Claims about 2400 lumens vs Halogen's 1100 to 1200. It's certainly bright with a distinct beam cutoff and minimal scatter.

Was a really easy install with adequate clearance.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts