Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

The LED is finally able to produce enough light to be a viable headlight bulb. Instead of placing surface mount LEDs around in a circle, our design uses dual 180 degree CREE emitters on both the top and bottom of the 'bulb'. The center of the LEDs are in exactly the same place as where light comes from in a standard Halogen bulb. So what does that mean? It means that the light projected from the LED array will hit the headlight reflector exactly the same way your halogen bulb does. This is important.

The regulated power supply uses an H4 connector and is plug and play to the bike. This unit supplies power to both the LED array and the fan. The fan is simply to create a small amount of air flow, not to chill. The fan screws on to the back of the 'bulb'. A spacer is included for the fan to keep the blades clear of the headlights rubber cover.

The LED design is instant on, no flicker and unaffected by temperature and power cycling (when your headlight is turned off by pressing the starter button).

So how does it compare to the stock Halogen bulb?

halogen LED
lumen 1050 1800
amps 5 2
watts 55 25

Available in single or dual.

I just ordered this and will be doing an install report when it arrives.

EC - LED Headlight Bulb - H4 High/Low

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
high power led's do get quite hot, they just don't project much infrared light, instead the heat is concentrated at the back of the emitter. oem automotive and motorcycle led headlights have massive heatsinks and sometimes fans for this reason.

the area behind the 09's headlight is quite cramped, there's a lot of wiring squeezed in behind there.

i'm a bit skeptical of their claims (for their bulb to have light output hit the reflector exactly like a halogen's would require 3 180° led's, not 2 - take a close look at a halogen h4 to see why), but do let us know how it works out.

currently i'm running osram 85/80 bulbs with an upgraded wiring harness. 2400 lumens on high beam.

·
Registered
354 Posts
high power led's do get quite hot, they just don't project much infrared light, instead the heat is concentrated at the back of the emitter. oem automotive and motorcycle led headlights have massive heatsinks and sometimes fans for this reason.

the area behind the 09's headlight is quite cramped, there's a lot of wiring squeezed in behind there.

i'm a bit skeptical of their claims (for their bulb to have light output hit the reflector exactly like a halogen's would require 3 180° led's, not 2 - take a close look at a halogen h4 to see why), but do let us know how it works out.

currently i'm running osram 85/80 bulbs with an upgraded wiring harness. 2400 lumens on high beam.
What is the lumens on the stock bulb?

Reactions: v2Bob

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll be installing the led (hopefully) this weekend. Depending if my attached garage is too cold. We're looking at -9 F.

Regardless, it will be a pictorial install. I will have a light meter and will verify the temps. But I am not too worried because it whole thing only draws 25 watts.

Stay tuned ...

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
+1....looking forward to your report and results.

·
Registered
176 Posts
you would have to have enough room for the fan subassembly imho.

A friend with a cafe racer speced FZ found out the hard way.(not enough clearance for the fan)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi all, in relation to the highlight here. When I retrofitted a Jeep Wragler LED surround 7" roughly, headlight into my star I put the LED high low kit in mine without too many issues. It's the same config with the 3 prong connector. It is much brighter then stock and has the 600K or bluish look to it. Worth ever penny I paid and runs much cooler. With the standard stock bulb irridecent (however you spell) you could not touch the headlight because it would be too hot, not now with the LED.

·
Registered
883 Posts

·
Registered
883 Posts
After my previous post, I finally got out for some initial road testing and evaluation.
Two pictures follow; the first with low beam and second with high beam...

·
Registered
883 Posts
From post #6 and #7, earlier in this thread...

What is the lumens on the stock bulb?
a standard 60/55w h4 bulb is about 1650/1000 lumens. the low beam output is substantially lower than the high beam because there's a shield inside the bulb that blocks part of the low beam light output.
From the linked post... http://www.fz09.org/forum/56-tripageled/6110-led-headlight-discount-available-5.html#post115889

3000 lumens. When you get into the larger lumens you have to deal with a cooling fan. Larger light, larger fan, more mounting space. T
Although the photos of Tripage's LED headlight bulb in post #15 show 'real world' results, a comparison of lumens may also be useful.

edited to add: This LED headlight bulb does not require a cooling fan. The quote from tripage was in response to an inquiry about a lumen rating much higher than 3000.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts