Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't typically ride much at night, but when I have, the headlamp doesn't even begin to cut it. My basic question is: Can I just install a LED lamp into the current headlight? OR is is better to just suck it up and buy the fill kit (like JW Speaker)? I have worked on cars my whole life, but dont do my own wrenching on this bike too much. Looking for those who know best how to upgrade this measely headlight. Thanks much in advance. I have 12K on this bike, never had one second of trouble (I did the recall on the handlebars and kickstand switch) and really, really love riding her. I dont mind spending the money for the JW kit per se, just hoping to get better results with less (So I can buy gear, track time, fun shit). xsr.jpg

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Vendor
772 Posts
40 watt led's aren't going to put off that much more light than factory. We use 50 watt led's for the gold and the p series. Just putting that out there. Post before and after pictures. Let's see the output.

·
Registered
10 Posts
These don't have controllers. I took a chance and ordered (2) for my 800 Tiger. Won't know if good/bad for a few weeks but gonna try them for $16/pair.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/LED-Motorcycle-Bike-COB-Hi-Lo-Beam-Headlight-Front-Lamp-Kit-H4-40W-4500lm-6000K/173224458344?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
I had this same type of cheap LED on my bike, in fact it looks just like that picture. The light was scattered everywhere but the road. It wasn't bright at all and it soon found it's way into the trash. Hopefully you have better luck.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
I had this same type of cheap LED on my bike, in fact it looks just like that picture. The light was scattered everywhere but the road. It wasn't bright at all and it soon found it's way into the trash. Hopefully you have better luck.
Could very well be possible. A lot of the effectiveness of LED lighting depends on the reflector. My Tiger also has screw on dust covers so I didn't want to cram controllers inside of the plastic covers or do any cutting/grinding. Hopefully my reflectors will help the light be a bit more effective. I'd rather be bummed about $16 than more $$. We shall see...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Assuming you haven't already pulled the trigger on this...

I just picked up a new JW Speaker 8700 Evo 2 for $200 on ebay; installed it last weekend. I've actually done a decent amount of night riding since the install and I will say that it's WAY better than stock, with the largest improvement being the quality of the low beam. To me, it was very much worth the investment... maybe the best part being that I don't have to look at those horrible 1" spacers that separate the fork ears and stock headlight bucket anymore.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Assuming you haven't already pulled the trigger on this...

I just picked up a new JW Speaker 8700 Evo 2 for $200 on ebay; installed it last weekend. I've actually done a decent amount of night riding since the install and I will say that it's WAY better than stock, with the largest improvement being the quality of the low beam. To me, it was very much worth the investment... maybe the best part being that I don't have to look at those horrible 1" spacers that separate the fork ears and stock headlight bucket anymore.
Was it an easy install, do you have some pictures of how it looks installed? Couldn't see that they officially support the XSR900 on their homepage, so curious on how well it works with it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Our gold led puts out some great light. Our P series has a great cutoff for low beam. Both great lights and work in the XSR headlight
I have the P series from Tripage on my XSR. I wish I had taken before and after pics, but I had the headlight apart to install new turn signals and the Motodemic Gauge Relocation Kit and just didn't do it. To me, the high beam is clearly far superior than stock. The low beam cut is very pronounced and provides good light output below the cut. I won't lie though, it was initially a shock turning off the high beam the first time, but that may just be my inexperience as I did not have a lot of time riding the bike at night prior to the bulb swap. Tripage was great to deal with. I got their Signal Flasher Relay as well as a few OEM connector setups for turn signals and the rear brake light and definitely recommend them.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks all. I ended up just buying a brighter lamp. Easy to install and it worked out perfect for night riding on my 6 day ride to the Moonshine Lunch run. I did not want to bother with running wires back to the batter and finding space to zip tie relays down. For those who want to keep it easy and care about blinding cars or other riders, just get a brighter lamp. I have had one since mid April and happy with the results.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thanks all. I ended up just buying a brighter lamp. Easy to install and it worked out perfect for night riding on my 6 day ride to the Moonshine Lunch run. I did not want to bother with running wires back to the batter and finding space to zip tie relays down. For those who want to keep it easy and care about blinding cars or other riders, just get a brighter lamp. I have had one since mid April and happy with the results.
Which bulb did you get?

·
Registered
106 Posts
I just finished my conversion to LED. It was a very economical project and works great. Here is what I used and how I did it.
Wisamic 5-3/4" 5.75" LED Headlight from amazon $40.00. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DZU30S0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
This light is 5.60" vs. the factory 5.75" so it left too much of a gap. You will notice the factory light also has a gap all around. So to fill in the gap I ordered a black trim ring on ebay. $19.00 https://www.ebay.com/itm/Gloss-Black-5-75-Replacement-Headlight-Trim-Ring-Harley-Dyna-Sportster-Softail/142473360490?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Next I wrapped the new LED light housing with some epdm rubber weather seal and installed some black door edge guard on the inner lip of the factory trim ring.

After that, the factory bracket holds the new headlight in place. But just to be sure, I used some silicone on the contact areas inside the trim ring and the bracket.

snug fit but it all goes back in the housing without removing the organizer.

The light is much brighter and whiter. Gives a better cutoff line also. Total cost is under $75.00

Here's some pictures. I'll have to post the final pics on the next reply

IMG_6478.JPG

IMG_6479 (2).JPG

IMG_6481.JPG

IMG_6480.JPG

IMG_6482.JPG

·
Registered
106 Posts
led head light

finished product.

IMG_6483.JPG

IMG_6487.JPG

IMG_6484.JPG

IMG_6486.JPG

while you are at it, get rid of those pesky spacers. the large two in front will come out when you removed the bolts. The four small ones in the back are tack welded so you need to cut the tack with a dremel cut off wheel. use replacement bolts (2) M6x30 and (4) M5x16 I think it was. Good time to upgrade those turn signals too! New Rage LED's work great.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts