Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm thinking about buying some 4inch Blue waterproof LED strips off ebay and putting them strategically around the bike. I've included a picture I pulled from a google search (I think it came off the site) and edited to show where I want to put the lights:

fz09 Light placement.jpg

Any thoughts or concerns with doing this? Will 4inch strips be enough light? And does anyone have any idea how to wire these thing to an on/off switch then into the battery or something? I don't want to wire them directly to the running lights so I can turn them off while riding around. Are there any switches I can buy that are fuzed that I can run 8 wires into?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Correction to all this. I meant to say 6in strips...

·
Registered
280 Posts
There's an auxiliary power plug in under the left scoop cover that you can wire into. Any color other than amber is not street legal, but you can usually use amber lights.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I've been playing with LED's for years (thousands). I recommend COB Bulb Car LED Daytime Running Light DRL Driving Lamp black housing 17cm or 6.7". You did not say what color. COB LED's have no standards and it's a crap shoot getting a lasting pair. I'm using LEMONBEST® 2 x General 17cm 6W Super Bright COB Bulb Car LED Deep BLUE Daytime Running Light DRL Driving Lamp black housing - - Amazon.com now but have no idea if they last. The best I've bought and still using: Amazon.com: 2x Set Waterproof Aluminum High Power 6W 6000K Xenon White Slim COB LED DRL Daylight Driving Daytime Running Light Lamp For Car SUV Sedan Coupe Vehicle: Automotive. These are what I recommend.
:color: :cool: :color:

·
Registered
239 Posts
There's an auxiliary power plug in under the left scoop cover that you can wire into. Any color other than amber is not street legal, but you can usually use amber lights.
Any color light is street legal for accent lighting in KY except white facing the rear of your ride. :color: :cool: :color:

·
Registered
44 Posts
First of all, your bike looks great! Love the Akra exhaust and custom seat. I threw a couple of amber LED pods inside of the air scoops, forward facing, and spliced them with my running lights/turn signals and I think it turned out really cool. I had blue LED's on my last bike (yamaha R6) and found out quickly they cannot be turned on while the bike is in motion, the police don't like that. So if you want to use them as running lights I might suggest using white, or anything other than blue or red. Pics required when you are done.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
I've been playing with LED's for years (thousands). I recommend COB Bulb Car LED Daytime Running Light DRL Driving Lamp black housing 17cm or 6.7". You did not say what color. COB LED's have no standards and it's a crap shoot getting a lasting pair. I'm using LEMONBEST® 2 x General 17cm 6W Super Bright COB Bulb Car LED Deep BLUE Daytime Running Light DRL Driving Lamp black housing - - Amazon.com now but have no idea if they last. The best I've bought and still using are Amazon.com: 2x Set Waterproof Aluminum High Power 6W 6000K Xenon White Slim COB LED DRL Daylight Driving Daytime Running Light Lamp For Car SUV Sedan Coupe Vehicle: Automotive. These are what I recommend.
:color: :cool: :color:
Just read Your Review on Amazon -- Very Impressive...!! Did you ever get a second set of equal quality as the first....??? And, more importantly, where'd you mount these on your FZ....???

That was really a dynamite review on Amazon. :hatsoff:

Amazon

·
Registered
239 Posts
Thanks Steve. I did buy another pair and they are superior! I'll take some pics and post them. :color: :cool: :color:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Excellent looking bike. Your locations for the lights should look great. Do you mind telling us where/from whom/ you got the custom seat? Looks very comfortable. Thanks.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I did this. Fairly happy with the results but really don't have them on much. Get a lot of looks when I do tho...:)
I wired into the battery directly, with an in line fuse so the key and rest of the lights could be off and the accents on if I want. There is a rubber knockout plug that fits a 1/2" switch in that little compartment right behind the gas tank (where the abs controller goes on the mt-09?). I can turn lights on and off while riding without having a visible switch. Total project cost, like 10$.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I did this. Fairly happy with the results but really don't have them on much. Get a lot of looks when I do tho...:)
I wired into the battery directly, with an in line fuse so the key and rest of the lights could be off and the accents on if I want. There is a rubber knockout plug that fits a 1/2" switch in that little compartment right behind the gas tank (where the abs controller goes on the mt-09?). I can turn lights on and off while riding without having a visible switch. Total project cost, like 10$.
Can you post a picture of where this knockout plug is and where your switch is mounted? I would go searching on my bike for it but it's home in Alaska and I'm in the Middle East...

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Anyone have any suggestions on colors that would look good on a Liquid Graphite other than Blue or Red so I could ride with them on if I wanted? Or maybe even awesome photoshop skills to show the different colors on the bike? I might just say screw it and get blue...whats the worst that will happen? Fix-it ticket? Or I'll just not ride all the time with the lights on.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Can you post a picture of where this knockout plug is and where your switch is mounted? I would go searching on my bike for it but it's home in Alaska and I'm in the Middle East...
What are you doing in the Middle East....??? Are you with the CIA....???

1 - 16 of 16 Posts