Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My graphite FZ should arrive at my dealer in two more weeks.. Waiting is no fun.
Just wondering I love the sound and look of the bike as it is from the factory.. Anyone else out there leaving it completely stock? I'm gonna..

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
There is no shame in leaving it stock....but I could never do it (because of the crappy suspension alone)

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
So from what I've heard the suspension is more than adequate if your not pushing very hard. Guess I'll find out soon!
That may be true for you, but those two ugly Pumpkins up front & in the back gotta go:cool:

Reactions: Lee Drew

·
Registered
54 Posts
I too will be leaving it stock in appearance and sound. I already upgraded the suspension to support my 250 lbs. and that is all I will be doing.

I think the stock exhaust has a nice sound to it. You can hear it but its quiet enough to not annoy the public or attract law enforcement. It even has a nice look to it when viewed from the correct angles.

The "big ugly pumpkin" turn signals are big and ugly but they are also very visible in all lighting conditions witch is a huge safety benefit.

Call me crazy but I even like the license plate holder. I like how it sort of hovers out there behind the rear of the bike with a somewhat airfoil shape to it.

You are not the only one JFK

·
Registered
277 Posts
Absolutely nothing wrong with leaving it completely stock if you want. I just don't have the will power to do that...

·
Registered
411 Posts
I haven't changed anything on my bike yet. I do plan on changing the seat at some point. I love this bike so much I wan to take her on longer trips, and right now the stock seat just is not up for that.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Probably the only things that really must be upgraded are the ECU (flashed)...and the seat. Besides that, the bike really gets the job done the way it is

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
My bike is mostly stock- except for additions like a tail rack, sliders, heated grips etc utility items.
The suspension works for me so far, even two-up touring (we barely break the 250lbs mark together!) and in fact, have to keep it semi-hard to keep it comfy for the wife.
The seat is stock- just add a airhawk for the wife- who leans on the custom seat I made for the tail case. I actually haven't been in all the incredible pain a lot of people seem to be feeling on the stock seat. But I am in line for a Sargent- mostly to see if it can eliminate need for the airhawk + add to looks, so lets see.
The ECU is stock- I just removed play from the throttle and after acclimatizing myself to B mode, am in STD mode all the time. It is still a bit twitchy but I have got the hang of it with wrist control. Main reason for no ECU flash was that I just couldn't stand to not ride the bike even for a week. I am sure it will be worth it- maybe when I go on a long vacation (that is not on the bike- which is going to be hard).
Exhaust- I am fine with stock but wifey actually wants me to get a louder one for my safety and likes the Akra Ti- so that, next year probably.

My stock bike, 5000+ miles and counting, somewhere in Ithaca:

·
Registered
65 Posts
It's funny because I constantly hear how terrible the suspension is on the FZ. While I agree it's not great, it's probably not going to hold back 95% of the riders on this forum. It is soft for sure for heavier riders but it doesn't make the bike unridable by a long shot. I'm 180lbs and it worked for me pretty well. I've upgraded the fork springs/oil and went with a Penske double clicker - I noticed the improvement but it's not a game changer. I would guess I would notice more improvement on a track but not on the backroad twisties. All this to say I think the $1000 it takes to do the minimum improvements is probably not going to be worth it for most riders.

I'd also add that a friend of mine just bought an 09 with completely stock suspension. He's about 240lbs and he's a great rider. After chasing him through some great backroads a couple days ago, I can confidently say the suspension's not holding him back too badly.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I almost always leave my bikes stock. I'm just not into throwing money at it unless there is a glaring flaw. The only thing I did to mine was the Stoltec ECU flash to smooth out the throttle. I doubt I'll do anything else to it, even the suspension is ok for how I ride the thing.

·
Registered
957 Posts
My graphite FZ should arrive at my dealer in two more weeks.. Waiting is no fun.
Just wondering I love the sound and look of the bike as it is from the factory.. Anyone else out there leaving it completely stock? I'm gonna..
After you get some seat time on it I think you'll agree it needs some suspension work and a smoothed-out throttle in STD and A mode. Most people who own it would agree that. Regarding aesthetics though, yeah. I plan on putting some functional stuff on it like a windscreen and shorty levers but that's about it.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Mine is stock for now and will probably remain that way for some time... just getting my wife to be OK with the purchase was a feat in and of itself... if I try to start spending money on mods I may get myself in trouble lol. That said, down the road I do plan to reflash the ECU, upgrade the suspension, get a fender eliminator, and perhaps a new seat... although the stock one hasn't bothered me much yet (I also haven't done really long trips either though).

I can't blame anyone for keeping it stock though, it's a great package out of the box!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Mine is stock for now and will probably remain that way for some time... just getting my wife to be OK with the purchase was a feat in and of itself... if I try to start spending money on mods I may get myself in trouble lol. That said, down the road I do plan to reflash the ECU, upgrade the suspension, get a fender eliminator, and perhaps a new seat... although the stock one hasn't bothered me much yet (I also haven't done really long trips either though).

I can't blame anyone for keeping it stock though, it's a great package out of the box!
Ditto for the wife! At this point I'm just thrilled to be getting it! My dealer is going to put my vstar on consignment and hopefully that'll go quick! I have an 85 mile ride home on the new bike so we'll get a good chance to feel out the seat..

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
It's funny because I constantly hear how terrible the suspension is on the FZ. While I agree it's not great, it's probably not going to hold back 95% of the riders on this forum. It is soft for sure for heavier riders but it doesn't make the bike unridable by a long shot. I'm 180lbs and it worked for me pretty well. I've upgraded the fork springs/oil and went with a Penske double clicker - I noticed the improvement but it's not a game changer. I would guess I would notice more improvement on a track but not on the backroad twisties. All this to say I think the $1000 it takes to do the minimum improvements is probably not going to be worth it for most riders.

I'd also add that a friend of mine just bought an 09 with completely stock suspension. He's about 240lbs and he's a great rider. After chasing him through some great backroads a couple days ago, I can confidently say the suspension's not holding him back too badly.
Huge improvements on the stock suspension can be made simply by installing fork springs and rear shock spring set up for the rider's weight for about $200. Some have reported adding heavier fork oil helped as well. Fork oil is a cheap and easy mod.

The stock springs are very undersprung for anyone weighing more than about 140 and that wants to do anything other than commute and still have decent control without wallowing through a corner. Sure a good rider can wrestle the wallowing bike under some control but they are still lacking the control they can easily and relatively cheaply have.

For $200 is is well worth it for any rider if for no other reason than the improved control which is a definite safety measure.

On the shock side of things, several have done well with a cheap upgrade using a ZX6RR shock and only spent about 100 for the shock and 100 for the spring. So for a total of about $300 ($100 fork springs, $100 rear shock, $100 rear spring) you can sort the suspension out pretty well.

That is about the cost of a set of tires and about as hard to install.

Sure you can do a lot more.

I do not think leaving the bike entirely stock is a good idea.

There are several mods that highly recommended to ensure the bike remains in rideable condition:

1) Frame sliders to protect the radiator cap on the right side and to protect the waterpump on the left side. Even a parking lot tipover can ruin those two rather fragile and very vital items and leave you stuck with very expensive parts needing to be replaced.

2) Engine guards to protect the side of the engine. The guards are relatively cheap, very easy to install and protect the engine cases from scratches in the case of a tip over. I have seen more than one bike (no fz09s as of yet) sidelined due to a parking lot or garage tip over that punched a hole in engine cover on one side or the other. Luckily Yamaha priced the left and right engine covers relatively inexpensively at around $70 or so each but the engine guards are easier to install and are cheap insurance and keep you riding instead of waiting on parts.

3) The stock seat made my balls hurt after about 40 minutes. I tired all sorts of repositioning, standing on the pegs, etc. nothing really helped. The new foam and seatcover from Seat Concepts was a cheap ($150) and easy solution. It is not perfect but at least my balls don't hurt and/or go numb. I think I will buy a Sargent seat to try it out once they have one available but that will cost probably more than twice the cost of the Seat Concepts kit.

4) The snatchy throttle issue can be reduced by zeroing all the mechanical slop in the throttle (20 minutes or less in your garage with no special tools needed). It is not perfectly smooth but is a lot better than they come set up stock. A reflash is necessary if that is not smooth enough for you.

Pretty much every other "mod" is just personalizing the bike to your own tastes.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts