Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hey guys, I have started to learn wheelies recently, it absolutely blew me away, so much fun!

Anyway, I have made some short video, maybe it will help someone or maybe there is someone who can give me few tips :cool:

Nice place to practice! Looks like fun!

·
Registered
918 Posts
Other suggestion is to start on a dirt bike or sumo. something that will bounce back from a loop like it is its day job. ask me how i know :p

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice place to practice! Looks like fun!
Yeah, its a dead end road and for some reason it is not known to many people, so I usually train there alone, which I dont mind at all, I just always hope I dont crash it :D

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Other suggestion is to start on a dirt bike or sumo. something that will bounce back from a loop like it is its day job. ask me how i know :p
I would love to try it! it looks so easy watching guys doing it on motards, wheelieing at walking speed and all other sorts of fun stuff

·
Registered
44 Posts
I've been searching for a road to practice on around me where I won't be bothered and still no luck. I'll do small wheelies occasionally but I'm still not comfortable doing them, especially around other traffic and I'd prefer to not get a reckless ticket.

·
Registered
918 Posts
I've been searching for a road to practice on around me where I won't be bothered and still no luck. I'll do small wheelies occasionally but I'm still not comfortable doing them, especially around other traffic and I'd prefer to not get a reckless ticket.
Look for warehouses/shipping centers... There are probably 3 with solid 1/4 mile "runways" within 10 miles of me. Will probably have to limit your practice times to specific times/days when they are empty. But that's where I go to practice.

·
Registered
167 Posts
yeah, I have tried it in first gear as well, but I did not feel secure doing that, the throttle is too sensitive for my basic skills, 2nd gear feels a lot smoother.
Make sure you're in B mode when doing wheelies. STD and A mode are way too sensitive for pulling wheelies. I also like doing power wheelies in 1st gear if you feel like giving it a try. Get the bike up to about 4000-5000 rpm and roll the throttle open quick. The front end will just lift up. I like power wheelies as you can bring the front wheel up a bit slower by how much you open the throttle.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Make sure you're in B mode when doing wheelies. STD and A mode are way too sensitive for pulling wheelies. I also like doing power wheelies in 1st gear if you feel like giving it a try. Get the bike up to about 4000-5000 rpm and roll the throttle open quick. The front end will just lift up. I like power wheelies as you can bring the front wheel up a bit slower by how much you open the throttle.
I'm still learning wheelies and I've found that I feel more comfortable doing power wheelies than I do clutch ups since the front end doesn't come up as quick.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks, I will try it, I have just seen a guy doing perfectly controlled 1st gear wheelies, so there must be a way, probably some kind of clutchup and B mode combo... (did not have a chance to speak to him though)

·
Registered
294 Posts
From time to time i try to do some wheelie practice. just some small power farts :D
After a handful of attempts i stop and try again some time later. (might take a few years this way but no rush)

·
Registered
37 Posts
2nd gear (in A mode) is way easier for me on this bike. I haven't gotten but a couple hours of seat time on my FZ09 though.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I did some training, here is what I found:

TCS off
2nd gear, STD mode around 50 kph/ 30 mph, bike goes up in a very controlable manner
1st gear, B mode around walking speed, bike can go up a bit faster, but it is perfectly controlable and you can go into the ''sweet spot'' without an issue.

BTW: you can do a pretty cool rolling stoppies even without ABS turned off.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I did some training, here is what I found:

TCS off
2nd gear, STD mode around 50 kph/ 30 mph, bike goes up in a very controlable manner
1st gear, B mode around walking speed, bike can go up a bit faster, but it is perfectly controlable and you can go into the ''sweet spot'' without an issue.

BTW: you can do a pretty cool rolling stoppies even without ABS turned off.

View attachment 156755
Rolling stoppie with ABS on??? My bike kicks the ABS on as soon as the rear comes off the ground and won't let me do anything close to a stoppie.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Rolling stoppie with ABS on??? My bike kicks the ABS on as soon as the rear comes off the ground and won't let me do anything close to a stoppie.
You just have to find the spot before the ABS kicks in and you have the maximum possible braking power, then hold on and you will feel it going up.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I ride in std mode almost always so power and clutch ups are fun and super easy. If you wanna get smooth just practice practice and your on a great road too. I'd use B mode more, get comfortable and smooth and you'll ride them for days. FYi BeRad is really fun to watch on his old fz09 if you haven't yet

1 - 20 of 21 Posts