Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I work at a wind farm as a technician. It is a pretty hands on job, and with the distancing rules we have been off work 2 days out of the week. So with my time off I decided to learn a new skill. So here is my results so far.

I got a license plate delete kit so I needed to relocate the light as well. I Decided to use the existing screws under the seat to mount the plate. I salvaged the light mounting bracket from the stock kit, and drilled 3 holes in the under seat cover. Two for the mounting screws and one for the wiring. Then I routed the wire from the chain guard up through the battery box instead.

Now that the physical location of everything is set and looking how I like. I need to make a cover to protect it from debris and tidy up the looks. My wife got me a 3d printer a few years ago but aside from toys for the kids, I have not messed with it much. It offers such a great deal of possibilities you could spend years learning the entire system. There is Coding for the Firmware, Coding for the Tool Paths, 2D Drafting, Engineering of Parts, 3D Modeling, Filament Type (PLA/PETG/ABS/ect...), And the mechanics of the machine itself (3 axis, + extrude speed). A light cover should be a good first task.

After measuring everything I use Autodesk Fusion 360 to create a model that can be exported top the 3d printers tool path creation software.

took me about 4 hrs to learn how to make this model. Now The tool path creation software I used is Ultimaker Cura.

The first layer went down nice but when it got to the supports for the overhang the filament did not stick and the print failed.

Had to rotate the model and try again

·
Registered
2016 xsr 900
318 Posts
awesome - can't wait to see how it turns out!

·
Premium Member
2,413 Posts
I didn't know what I was looking at but it was pretty neat anyway!
(Full Disclosure-----I still buy postage stamps, have a landline, read the newspaper everyday and I'm not a stalker)

·
Registered
2018 MT 09
354 Posts
Looks good, need a picture in the light so we can see how the cover looks on the bike.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
3D printer in action.

Note: this first design is just to test fitment. I am going to make it look better this weekend.

·
Registered
2016 xsr 900
318 Posts
My son and I have been saving our money for a 3d printer for a while now, and I've got plans to print a bunch of stuff for my bike. You said you work at a wind farm - any chance you use Bently Nevada products as your monitoring tools?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My son and I have been saving our money for a 3d printer for a while now, and I've got plans to print a bunch of stuff for my bike. You said you work at a wind farm - any chance you use Bently Nevada products as your monitoring tools?
I don’t recognize the name but I also don’t pay much attention to the products name. Most of our stuff is directly from Siemens. And our parent company is from Germany so we get all kinds of tools with weird names

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
After messing with it for 2 days now I am having trouble getting it the way I want it. Im going to take a break and try again tomorrow

1 - 14 of 14 Posts