Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How far do you lean in the turns?

Watching the MotoGP races... they lean over to about 60 degrees from vertical... so I wondered how far a FZ-09 rider might be leaning and what scrapes first?

I know I don't lean as much as most riders but probably more than some??? So here's a photo of the discoloration on the rear tire which must be an indication of lean angle???

lean angle (1) (Medium).JPG lean angle (2) (Medium).JPG

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
They're called 'Chicken Strips', and this bike won't lean over as far as a SS or MotoGP bike, the peg feelers will probably scrape first, but as long as you're having fun, I wouldn't worry about it. Unless you're on the track, of course...

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Where I live 75% of the time a corner has some combination of dirt, sand, gravel, liquid, and oil in it. Making leaning over far and carrying speed through corners very sketchy.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Moto GP lean angles don't apply for street riding. The limiting factor of street lean angles are the parts on the bike that scrape the ground when going around corners. The first to hit are the footpeg feelers. After that it can be mufflers...frame...etc. When the footpeg feelers start scraping...that is your notice to quit leaning any farther than that, and start to hang off the side of the bike to avoid scraping anything that can cause a crash.

A better indication for street riding lean angles and what is safe and what is not safe....are the width of the unused tire on each side .. called "chicken strips". Because of motorcycle geometry a rider can use all the REAR tire all the way to the edge....while the front tire will still have an unused portion left.

The pictures provided aren't very good...but it looks like at least a half inch of "chicken strip" is on the rear tire....meaning you can still lean a lot farther before the footpeg feelers touch the asphalt.

For me....I quit leaning and start hanging off a little when my rear tire has one sixteenth of an inch unused tire left on the rear tire. That's about my street level comfort level .... while still leaving a bit of reserve for an unplanned event.

My advice to someone asking a question like this is to first make sure you have your bike set up right...and to make sure you have the tires that can stick while leaned to the max on the street. If not...you would be asking for a crash.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Where I live 75% of the time a corner has some combination of dirt, sand, gravel, liquid, and oil in it. Making leaning over far and carrying speed through corners very sketchy.
Without looking and while reading this it sounded like you're in So Florida. Bingo (almost)!

Reactions: Obijack

·
Registered
136 Posts

Watching the MotoGP races... they lean over to about 60 degrees from vertical... so I wondered how far a FZ-09 rider might be leaning and what scrapes first?

I know I don't lean as much as most riders but probably more than some??? So here's a photo of the discoloration on the rear tire which must be an indication of lean angle???

View attachment 8954 View attachment 8955
Maximum lean angle on 09 is 51 degrees. The first thing that will hit is the peg feelers. You can easily remove all of your "chicken strips" without hitting the feelers with correct body lean. Knee down not neccessary.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Maximum lean angle on 09 is 51 degrees. The first thing that will hit is the peg feelers. You can easily remove all of your "chicken strips" without hitting the feelers with correct body lean. Knee down not neccessary.
Good to know, but Ya lost some of us with that Last sentence. :cool:

Reactions: Tonester71

·
Registered
136 Posts
What I meant was that you don't have to lean over MotoGP style with your knee touching, which you shouldn't do on the street anyway, IMHO. Body lean without hanging your butt off the seat should get you leaned over enough to eliminate your "'strips".

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Reactions: motoFZ9

·
Registered
106 Posts
What I meant was that you don't have to lean over MotoGP style with your knee touching, which you shouldn't do on the street anyway, IMHO. Body lean without hanging your butt off the seat should get you leaned over enough to eliminate your "'strips".
I take it this is only for if your goal is to get rid of your chicken strips?? I would think that while on the street, and while on the track, it would be ideal to use more body lean to keep the bike more upright while at higher speeds. Might not get rid of your chicken strips that way but you would have a larger margin for error. You could take the same corner safer and at the same speed or faster by getting more of your body off the bike so it stands more upright. Then again i guess the argument could be made that for the street, there should be no reason you are going fast enough to have to hang off the bike that much/drag knee. Ha but then again... no matter where you are riding, isnt the safest way through a corner going to be the way that uses the least amount of lean angle??

Im tired and obviously over thinking this. I guess my point is just this....Dont worry about trying to get rid of your chicken strips. IMO it is not any sort of indication of your riding skill. Continue getting more comfortable with your bike and one of these days you will come back from a ride and the chicken strips will be gone without you even consciously trying to do so.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I lean harder to the right than the left.. Although there are seemingly waay more right hand turns in nj than left with the on and off ramps that make up alot of my available twisties. I have about 1/16-1/8" chicken strip on right side and about 5/32-1/4" on the left side. My neighbor with a 120 Rear tire on his cruiser always breaks my balls about it which i find ironic.

Although i am giving myself credit for that faded area thats just barely touched that blends the true wear to the chicken strip.
Kaiser

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Here's a pretty good thread on chicken strips, http://www.fz09.org/forum/6-fz-09-general-discussion/2442-how-close-edge-rear-tire.html

As I said in that thread, I like to make sure I scrub off my chicken strips, but normal riding I don't get over that far. I like to be sure it's clean though so if I ever need to really lean hard in some emergency situation I won't get caught out by a slipper, unscrubbed tire edge. I do try to scrub out to the edge of the tire once a month to keep it nice.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I agree with everyone pretty much, don't worry about it, and certainly don't push just to get rid of the "strips". On the street I don't normally get all the way over either, just enough to have a little fun but with a margin of safety just in case.

We're not talking about winning races here, just out having fun.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I take it this is only for if your goal is to get rid of your chicken strips?? I would think that while on the street, and while on the track, it would be ideal to use more body lean to keep the bike more upright while at higher speeds. Might not get rid of your chicken strips that way but you would have a larger margin for error. You could take the same corner safer and at the same speed or faster by getting more of your body off the bike so it stands more upright. Then again i guess the argument could be made that for the street, there should be no reason you are going fast enough to have to hang off the bike that much/drag knee. Ha but then again... no matter where you are riding, isnt the safest way through a corner going to be the way that uses the least amount of lean angle??

Im tired and obviously over thinking this. I guess my point is just this....Dont worry about trying to get rid of your chicken strips. IMO it is not any sort of indication of your riding skill. Continue getting more comfortable with your bike and one of these days you will come back from a ride and the chicken strips will be gone without you even consciously trying to do so.
I don't think that was his particular goal, and you are partially correct in saying that the safest way through a corner is the way that uses the least amount of lean angle.It is, however, a fine line: The safest way is leaning the bike to where the contact patch of the tire is the greatest, but the more upright you are, the quicker your reaction time is to an emergency, I think.
And again, FZ09 is correct in stating don't worry about the chicken strips. Learning to corner correctly takes time. I'm still learning and my first road race was in 1955!
If you can afford a track day, it's there that you'll learn proper cornering technique. A cheaper way, although probably not as effective, is to purchase Keith Code's DVD "A Twist Of The Wrist 2" and practice, practice, practice!

·
Registered
1,575 Posts

View attachment 8954 View attachment 8955
TWO CENTS WORTH:
One Cent: Yep, you got a lot of chicken on dem' dair tires. So what! Enjoy! :eek:ccasion14:
Two Cent: If you're hanging off the bike -- on the street -- you may be pushing it. Hanging is better suited for the track. :argue:

Reactions: Tonester71

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
Hanging off the bike for good body position isn't just for the track. I do it all the time on the street when I'm riding in the twisty stuff. That DOESN'T mean that I'm pushing hard, it just means that; 1. It's habit with me from spending so much time on the track, 2. It helps to decrease the amount of lean angle needed for a corner. Less lean angle = tire/pavement surface area is greater and more available traction for cornering/braking/throttle. I've still got a tiny amount of unused tire on the rear and probably 5/8" of unused tire on the front.....and I've had my knee down on the FZ several times

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Hanging off the bike for good body position isn't just for the track. I do it all the time on the street
Yep...I hear ya. "Hanging" is good for some. Enjoy!
(((psst, i'll just 'pm' taoshum that he can remain a chicken-stripper like others. :cry:)))

·
Registered
418 Posts
I would much rather have proper body position and 2" chicken strips than horrible body position and no chicken strips. You can use all of your tire no problem. But using all of your rear tire and having horrible body position is a very dangerous game to play when you're riding on the street. I have about 1/4" of unused tread on my FZ and have had my knee down many, many times.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts