Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I probably weight 210 geared, and was riding on the factory suspension settings. Couple dozen accidental wheelies later I noticed my right fork leaves a small film of oil residue when I compress the fork. Now I'm thinking it is a good time to upgrade the springs and oil while I'm at it. Any DIY's on how to remove the forks and replace the seals? :( Any recommendations for springs and oil?

·
Registered
320 Posts
.95 sonic springs and 10w maxima oil, oem seals. You can find the Yamaha service manual in pdf form extremely easily.

I tried to diy a fork seal driver, do yourself a favor and just buy one. 41mm. Also for $45 get a proper spring compressor.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Seal savers are cheap. I've saved myself many a seal change with home made seal savers that don't cost a dime. On the other hand, if you're looking for an excuse to do a suspension upgrade this is it.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Seal savers are cheap. I've saved myself many a seal change with home made seal savers that don't cost a dime. On the other hand, if you're looking for an excuse to do a suspension upgrade this is it.
Are seal savers just sleeves to protect from debris getting inside?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
216 Posts
Fork spring compressor tool

Yes the Traxxion tool works, but you need a third hand to slip the slotted keeper under the nut. If you have significant other or a brother law you can't get rid of, that will work fine. I built my own with some scrap iron, I had around. You may notice I changed the spacer tube capture bolts locations after I first built it and tried it out. The last photo on the floor with the tire is the first design. The first two photos is a better set up for the 3/8" bolts to hold the spacer sleeve.
IMG_4378.jpg IMG_4379.jpg IMG_4365.jpg

·
Registered
320 Posts
Yeah that's actually the tool I bought. I was thinking of the seal driver which cost $45...

You can use a rachetting tie down strap on (haha) it to hold it in place while you put the holder in there. Be careful, it can get squirrelly.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

My leak has gotten progressively worse from all the wheelies I do, so I'm finally going to try to do this by the end of the week.

The service manual calls for a damper rod holder. Can I get by without this?

·
Registered
25 Posts
My friend,
Go to any site, and order you a Motion Pro fork seal tool.
From my mx days, I can promise you that brand new seals will leak just like the ones on there. It just takes a tiny fragment of anything under that seal to leak.
This tool is around 4 bucks and you can use it over and over. Each wash etc, it has totally redefined fork seal leak issues!~

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My friend,
Go to any site, and order you a Motion Pro fork seal tool.
From my mx days, I can promise you that brand new seals will leak just like the ones on there. It just takes a tiny fragment of anything under that seal to leak.
This tool is around 4 bucks and you can use it over and over. Each wash etc, it has totally redefined fork seal leak issues!~
I'll do that in the future if I ever have a small leak. But my current seal is trashed to the point of spraying oil out when compressing the fork. I'm still wondering If I need the damper rod holder tool because I'm upgrading to heavier springs and oil.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts