1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Let's be real clear about this. You can't "run" a red light with this new law. You can only PROCEED after stopping at a red light if it won't change to green. Don't want anybody getting hurt.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Let's be real clear about this. You can't "run" a red light with this new law. You can only PROCEED after stopping at a red light if it won't change to green. Don't want anybody getting hurt.
We have had that law in TN for a few years now. CD599 has it right, but also pay attention to what I underlined above. The time of day and the amount of traffic plays a big part of it. It's one thing if it's at 2 in the morning with no other cars in sight. But if it is during the day or a time when a ton of other vehicles are present, running the red light regardless of coming to a complete stop or not, just because you didn't want to wait for the light to change isn't an excuse and will likely land you a ticket. Common sense is a factor here. Don't take advantage of the new ruling. I doubt any judge will dismiss a case if the officer can prove the motorcyclist had cars behind him which would have triggered the sensor and the rider did not give ample time for the light to change.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Illinois passed that last year too. Although most of ours are sensitive enough that I don't need it. There are still a few places though that it comes in handy. I pulled up behind a guy on a cruiser who had stopped beyond the white line and no where near the sensor in the road. I however, stopped dead center on it. He saw me pull up behind him. He turns around and says, "man I've been here 5 minutes this thing won't turn." I was getting ready to tell him it's because your dumb ass isn't on the sensor, but the light turned green (because I stopped on the sensor) before I could say anything. This guy was older, mid to late forties. How can a person who has been driving that long not know about traffic light sensors in the roadway?

Reactions: rtsb
1 - 6 of 6 Posts