Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Almost filled up with diesel fuel.:iamwithstupid: The nozzle was too big to fit in the hole (that's what she said) on the FZ-09. Looked back at the pump and realized my mistake. Oops! Put it back and grabbed the correct one.

I put diesel in my CBR a few years ago filling up at some station out in the sticks. Bike ran about a quarter mile then quit in a cloud of smoke. Had to leave it in some hillbillies barn and come back with a truck. Luckily I was riding that day with a buddy and his bike.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
whoops

·
Registered
213 Posts
Almost filled up with diesel fuel.:iamwithstupid: The nozzle was too big to fit in the hole (that's what she said) on the FZ-09. Looked back at the pump and realized my mistake. Oops! Put it back and grabbed the correct one.

I put diesel in my CBR a few years ago filling up at some station out in the sticks. Bike ran about a quarter mile then quit in a cloud of smoke. Had to leave it in some hillbillies barn and come back with a truck. Luckily I was riding that day with a buddy and his bike.
Do you also own a vehicle that does run on diesel? I could see maybe reflexively reaching for the diesel if you are used to using diesel. I've never owned a diesel vehicle so the green diesel pumps are invisible in my mind.

·
Banned
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Sounds like something I'd do... :eek:

Don't leave us hanging, what did it take to get your CBR going again?
All it took was draining the diesel fuel out. No damage was done to the engine.

No, I never owned anything diesel. I've never noticed the diesel hose being 'green.' Must be semi-recent. Maybe that's why I put it in the CBR along time ago. Today, I guess I didn't even look before I grabbed the wrong nozzle.

·
Registered
652 Posts
I did that to my car,I remember thinking: "this pump nozzle is smelly and oily?"
Fortunately,the tank drain plug on an MX5 is easily accessible.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I accidently put diesel fuel in our 1936 Allis-Chalmers when I was a kid. It was hand-crank start so even after draining the diesel and replacing with gasoline, it took a while to get it started with my dad cussing the whole time. At least I didn't get a paddling out of it. I always figured if I didn't get a whipping, he must have done something similar when he was young. Also, back in the day drivers (farmers) would put a cup of diesel in when they filled the tank for their cars, expecting to get lubrication to the valves. I am skeptical of that.

·
Super Moderator
5,762 Posts
I went on an Iron Butt ride in 2011 and one of the guys pulled up to the pump and was talking to one of the other fellows that was on the ride and accidently put about 2 gal. of diesel in the tank of his VFR. He realized what he was doing before he got the tank full and started the bike. He pushed the bike off to the side and we all grabbed some tools and proceeded to remove the tank and pour out the gas/diesel mixture. He then bought another 1/2 gal or so of gas and sloshed it around in the tank and then dumped it out also. We put the tank back on the bike, he gassed up and we took off again......all in a total of about 50 minutes, which really didn't hurt our time much for the Iron Butt......1035 miles in like 19 1/2 hours.

Reactions: v2Bob

·
Registered
55 Posts
Yep! I have seen it done, and I had the pleasure of correcting one. Putting diesel in a gasoline engine will not really do any harm other than modern day catalytic converters and O2 sensors getting fried, if you run for a bit with diesel in it. A flush/cleaning of the fuel delivery system will take care of it. NOW! if you ever do the opposite and introduce "even small quantities of gasoline" into a diesel engine!!!!! It will run OFFFFF! It ends with a great finale with the engine that was meant to redline around 2k 3k rpm to 10,000+ rpm BOOM! lol.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts